Help with Father’s Day gift. FJ40 Awning advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m trying to plan an epic Father’s Day gift for my husband. He has this beautifully restored FJ40 in the garage and it doesn’t get much use. I thought it would be fun to get him an awning for it and create a summer bucket list for our family with links to off-road locations we can visit. I’m trying to figure out how this awning thing works. Can it be mounted without a roof rack? What would I need to invest in to accomplish this goal? I’m assuming he’ll have to put it on himself which he can do as he is pretty handy, but I just need some direction. Thanks!

3591638C-F558-40BC-B6B7-D0CA806E5491.jpeg

That is an awesome thought. I'll let some with more experience with awnings chime in but I'm not aware of any models that would attach directly to the roof without a roof rack. Good luck.

If your husband is amenable to using a roof rack, that's probably the best solution to add an awning to. Lot's of great roof racks out there.
If he's opposed to roof racks, this is the only awning I've seen with brackets to attach to the roof gutters. I've never seen these in person. You'll probably want to search for reviews. I've posted the pics from the website below.
Good luck.

1589480050227.png

1589480106071.png

Whatever you choose, make sure it will clear the garage door. OBTW, I like your screen name.

A set of cross bars (roof rack) is a great way to carry surfboards, lumber, kayaks, etc. and is probably the best way to mount an awning. Yakima makes a great rack system as well as Thule, and I'm sure many others. They may be a bit pricey , but will come in handy all year long. Your hubby is a lucky man! As mentioned above, make sure the rig will fit in your garage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom