HELP! Toyota KZ-TE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just acquired a KZ-TE 3 liter turbo diesel with a Aisin 30-40LE RWD auto trans for a special concept vehicle project... I am totally clueless about the electronic injection pump. Don't know rather to try to work with the electronic injection pump or, I am told, it is possible to change this engine to a mechanical pump?????

I'm trying to find someone in the Indianapolis area with knowledge, experience or interest in this engine..

mac miller at macmiller46241@yahoo.com
MM dieselpowered.JPG
DSCN0455.JPG
DSCN0454.JPG

You can use the older 1KZ T pump but you'll lose a few hp.There was talk of using a Mitsubishi pump but I haven't heard much about it since.
But the 1KZ TE has been a round a long while and there are Prado forums where they know these inside out. I would try and find one of these forums, they will probably be in Australia because they are popular here. After talking to some experts you could then make a decision. We just don't get many owners of these on here, but someone may know something.

I just acquired a KZ-TE 3 liter turbo diesel with a Aisin 30-40LE RWD auto trans for a special concept vehicle project... I am totally clueless about the electronic injection pump. Don't know rather to try to work with the electronic injection pump or, I am told, it is possible to change this engine to a mechanical pump?????

I'm trying to find someone in the Indianapolis area with knowledge, experience or interest in this engine..

Read this to understand how the Denso ECD V3 diesel system works (this is the system the 1kzte uses): V 3 AAC02V3D.pdf

I have schematics for that motor also if you decide to use it and want to wire it up right.

WOW! Thanks for this information. I would be very interested in seeing any schematics you have for this engine.

thanks again for your help

OK, here are the schematics for the KZJ78 (it's the landcruiser 70 series that used the 1KZTE engine). It includes the engine schematics for the 1KZTE. Catch is it's in Japanese. It's actually not that hard to translate though, as it's Katakana. I used wikipedia and google translate to translate a bunch of these for myself (for the 2LTE engine). Dropbox - EWD_6742601_kzj78

Your engine is probably from a KZN130 (Hilux Surf) or similar. So the wiring might be slightly different, but the generation seems to be the same, so should be very close.

There is tons of info for that engine on this website also: Surf Maintenance

Edit: just browsing that Hilux Surf site, and found the schematics for the Hilux Surf 1KZTE too. And someone has translated a bunch of the Japanese. Here is the link: http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/downloads/KZN185_ECU.pdf

If you have mechanical abilities and basic knowledge of gasoline EFI systems (especially Toyota ones), then learning about this engine will be pretty simple. I've found it just as easy if not easier to learn about than similar vintage Toyota gas engines.

OK, here are the schematics for the KZJ78 (it's the landcruiser 70 series that used the 1KZTE engine). It includes the engine schematics for the 1KZTE. Catch is it's in Japanese. It's actually not that hard to translate though, as it's Katakana. I used wikipedia and google translate to translate a bunch of these for myself (for the 2LTE engine). Dropbox - EWD_6742601_kzj78

Your engine is probably from a KZN130 (Hilux Surf) or similar. So the wiring might be slightly different, but the generation seems to be the same, so should be very close.

There is tons of info for that engine on this website also: Surf Maintenance

Edit: just browsing that Hilux Surf site, and found the schematics for the Hilux Surf 1KZTE too. And someone has translated a bunch of the Japanese. Here is the link: http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/downloads/KZN185_ECU.pdf

If you have mechanical abilities and basic knowledge of gasoline EFI systems (especially Toyota ones), then learning about this engine will be pretty simple. I've found it just as easy if not easier to learn about than similar vintage Toyota gas engines.

Great references! Thank you so much for this info.

mac miller in INDY
Untitled 7.JPG
mmdieselpunk (1).jpg
Untitled 7.JPG
mmdieselpunk (1).jpg

When the time comes, it is possible to make a lot of power from a 1KZTE. There is a guy on this forum who has figured out how to re-map the 1KZTE ECU using old school Techtom equipment. He has a performance shop that normally modifies turbo MR2's and such. He would be a good guy to talk to. This is his thread: My slow '78 Mustard Yellow build I don't know if it's up to date or not. But he ended up making some pretty obscene power from his 1KZTE...he had a thread with dyno figures etc. on another forum that I can't find right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom