Help Removing Winch Mounting Bar (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Work continues on my 81 pickup suspension refresh and clean up. I want to remove the winch bar and could use some suggestions. I feel dumb even asking this. It is obvious that I need to remove these four bolts on each side, but how the heck does one get at the two outboard bolts? Bent box end wrench? There is almost zero access to that area and I have no idea how the heck they even got those outboard bolts in the holes.

I sure could use some tips from guys who have installed or removed these. Thanks.

A51889E8-1423-4DF6-AD3C-8983975179A3.jpeg

5591336A-A4ED-44FD-A333-3C3DE373728B.jpeg

those bolts may be tabbed, have you put a wrench on them yet?
also, there are holes in the front of the crossmember that may allow access.

I believe those bolts are separate to the bumper. Not sure what you mean by tabbed. There is no access from the front that I could see. Pretty perplexing.

if you have to drop a bolt into a hole you can't get a wrench, it's common to have a tab locked/welded to the head so it can't spin.

Thanks for that. I have felt the bolt heads and I do not think they are tabbed. I believe that they are stand alone bolts and am perplexed as to how they would have installed or removed them. The only access is the one small hole on the back side of the frame that you can see in the photo.

Bolts to the crossmember, correct? There are holes across the entire front of the crossmember.

Take the valance off and you should see decent access.

I agree they are probably tabbed, though.

Last edited:
Bolts are not tabbed and there are no access holes in the front of the frame member. those would have been a bewr To get in ther. Impossible to remove. Looks like a die grinder is the solution.

someone bolted it on there bud. and pretty certain the front of the crossmember has holes too.
it would not be a big deal to make a special tool or just drop an end wrench in there and the fish it out with a magnet after.

Reactions: bkg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom