Help please! New 2016 Head unit/Vav/Display not working at all..> (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Happy Tuesday.

I have a new LC 2016 1500 miles. This morning when I tired the car on the display unit kept rebooting. It switched between the "don't use when driving to the Toyota logo screen and it keeps going back and forth.
I turned off the car twice to try and reboot it and nothing, still the same thing. It keeps going between those screens. None of the buttons work-not the Home, Audio, not even the climate button for me to turn up the air.

Does anyone have any advice please? Has anyone elese seen this?
Please help! Thanks,

I ordered a new Tacoma.

ON the TW world you are seeing lots of exact thing you described. Dealers are having frozen screen, or screen just going from on to the other without any function.

Many are taking it to dealers, and dealers saying the usual BS "Can't replicate"

Hope yours gets worked out soon.

No similar issue on my 16 yet. The only unresolved issue is the Navigation distance to next turn (if more than 10 miles) shows incorrectly on mid display (off be 1 decimal). As an example 10 miles on Nav, will show 1.0 on mid.

Thanks everyone. I am taking her to the dealer on Friday.
Ay ya ya, from everything I have been reading online this is and has been a problem for some time. Meaning even after an update, this still happens randomly. Thanks again and I will let everyone know what the dealer said.

Happy Tuesday.

I have a new LC 2016 1500 miles. This morning when I tired the car on the display unit kept rebooting. It switched between the "don't use when driving to the Toyota logo screen and it keeps going back and forth.
I turned off the car twice to try and reboot it and nothing, still the same thing. It keeps going between those screens. None of the buttons work-not the Home, Audio, not even the climate button for me to turn up the air.

Does anyone have any advice please? Has anyone elese seen this?
Please help! Thanks,

Next time it happens, whip out your phone and shoot VIDEO.

Without that...dealers are free to keep saying, "Cannot replicate," etc.

If they give you the runaround... WRITE an email stating that if this happens while driving, you are concerned it could become a dangerous distraction.

If they STILL give you the runaround...resend it, and CC it to Toyota Corporate.

Funny shifts in their response can happen when safety concerns are put in writing... ;)

Last edited:
Toyota pays their techs 40% less for warranty work compared to standard work. They don't pay them at all for test driving to try to replicate a warranty issue. People in general don't like not getting paid or getting crappy pay. This results in the run around people get. Taking a video is a great idea.

Two threads about this just today!

Starting to not mind my ancient nav screen.

One thing you can try is a hard reset of the system. It will erase a lot of your settings though. To do it, disconnect both battery terminals from the battery. Then touch the cables positive and negative together to each other for 60 seconds. You may need a jumper wire if the two cables won't reach to touch each other. After 60 seconds, hook the cables back up to the battery and see if it works.

That's all the dealership did for mine, and it seems to have worked. The fact that multiple had this problem on the same day leads me to suspect there may have been some kind of software update that led to the malfunctioning systems. Just a tought.

That's all the dealership did for mine, and it seems to have worked. The fact that multiple had this problem on the same day leads me to suspect there may have been some kind of software update that led to the malfunctioning systems. Just a tought.

That might clear a glitch that is triggered by a particular action...but it won't prevent the same triggered event if it's a software or firmware issue.

I'd keep that video recorder/phone handy. Might take several resets-and-fails to convince them to bump the problem up the food chain.

I had a similar issue on a Subaru WRX...but it was more consequential in that it disabled the vehicle. Video proof and an error code reader capture I did myself was the only thing that convinced them to finally replace and fix the cause. Different issue, but it's tough when they don't know what triggers it.

That's a good call Markuson. Definitely going to record the problem if it reoccurs. Would love an official explanation from the OEM. Because we were in a bit of a hurry to get out of town, the dealership called this a "quick fix" and warned me not to be surprised if it happens again.

FWIW - the screen reboot/restart thing just started this afternoon on my '16 at a little over 5K miles. Was going to go pull the fuses/battery cables/etc. in the next couple hours to see if I could get a reset. I like the idea of a video. Then when it happens again I have the evidence for the dealer.

Its crazy how the only comment for that article is "heres why not to buy a lexus". I guess he doesn't care a Lexus will go 300k no sweat with basic maintenance. Infiniti has had software glitches with its system for quite some time. I have a buddy with one of their sedans, it just goes blank and stops working. Infiniti doesn't have a fix for it. So Lexus isn't the only one. I don't know if car companies develop the software for this stuff in house or contract it out.

Investigating this more and a hard reset is fixing the issue from what I've heard from Lexus
My 2016 Landcruiser with 1096 miles has the same issue - continuous head unit rebooting / no functionality. I am told by my dealer that ALL 2016 Landcruisers and 2014-2016 LX570's are reporting head unit lockups and continuous reboots due to the reported faulty software update beginning yesterday afternoon. That update was apparently remote auto-downloaded to the Entune units.

He stated that Toyota/Lexus is working on a software update to correct with no ETA at present, and that some customers are having some success with the hard reset described which is achieved by pulling the negative terminal cable off the battery for several minutes, then reattaching and restarting.

My 2016 Landcruiser with 1096 miles has the same issue - continuous head unit rebooting / no functionality. I am told by my dealer that ALL 2016 Landcruisers and 2014-2016 LX570's are reporting head unit lockups and continuous reboots due to the reported faulty software update beginning yesterday afternoon. That update was apparently remote auto-downloaded to the Entune units.

He stated that Toyota/Lexus is working on a software update to correct with no ETA at present, and that some customers are having some success with the hard reset described which is achieved by pulling the negative terminal cable off the battery for several minutes, then reattaching and restarting.

I intend to demand a service credit sufficient to pay for removal of the rear screens and reupholstering of the gaping hole left behind. ;)

We had a line out of the dealership today of people complaining. As far as I know, all of them have been fixed by disconnecting the battery. The oil change guys have been doing it all day, they have been instructed to leave the battery disconnected for 5 minutes, hook it back up and good to go. Just make sure when you turn the key on for the first time afterward that you let the unit boot up.

No issue here but did happen on my dodge few months ago. Was the satellite. Hopefully if it didn't happen it won't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom