Help!!! Name this part assembly and availability please (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sitting for a long time with low fuel. Looks like mine did. And there was crap I didn't recognize in the bottom of that tank.

Jason
That’s been exactly the case. They have let it sit with barely any fuel and I do mean years with the occasional roll it forward or from the back shop to the front shop… 500 yards

That’s been exactly the case. They have let it sit with barely any fuel and I do mean years with the occasional roll it forward or from the back shop to the front shop… 500 yards
You should consider a good used fuel tank from @slow95z .I got one from him a few years ago and it was very nice and clean inside and had a fuel pump assembly with it.

Not sure how many good clean ones I have left but if serious about one shoot me a message and I can check this weekend.

Got an engine to install in a customers 80, along with a ton of other maintenance, and eating up all my time right now so need to let me know quickly.

I had mine cleaned out and coated, pics at the link I posted above, but it is one of the decisions I question a little bit on this build. A nice solid one would be a better starting point.

Jason

Not sure how many good clean ones I have left but if serious about one shoot me a message and I can check this weekend.

Got an engine to install in a customers 80, along with a ton of other maintenance, and eating up all my time right now so need to let me know quickly.
Def interested if you have the entire assembly I need from my original post too.

Everyone here has been so kind and helpful, very appreciative, just wanted to say that.

I had mine cleaned out and coated, pics at the link I posted above, but it is one of the decisions I question a little bit on this build. A nice solid one would be a better starting point.

Jason
Is that what the red colored stuff in your pics was, the coating?

Personally, I would never do a coating inside a fuel tank. I have seen many nightmares and LOTS of money spent trying to fix a rotted tank on old neglected cars.

Most linings peel within 5 years.

cool, as in tank and pump and all?
Tank and this tetanus bomb: I have a new pump from Oreily’s, but if easiest and best for all, then I’d go with that.

F99FAA00-53F5-445B-981D-60000DB7A32C.jpeg

28B94A0A-C970-4531-A8F4-863F4168A847.jpeg

224334EF-A18B-47B3-9C7E-4AE2C9D8F702.jpeg

2D0D975F-186B-4D6B-A406-901C9B5B69F9.jpeg

cool, will see what i have tomorrow. if you already have a new pump no reason not to put it in while you are doing it all just for piece of mind.

Yeah, I believe it is the appropriately named Red-Kote. No problems so far, but if @slow95z has a full assembly and shipping isn't a killer, I would think about that pretty hard. Bracket and sender are ~ $90 each, plus fuel pump. It's going to add up fast. Don't think twice about dealing with @slow95z, he's good people.

Jason

Personally, I would never do a coating inside a fuel tank. I have seen many nightmares and LOTS of money spent trying to fix a rotted tank on old neglected cars.

Most linings peel within 5 years.

Hopefully it will hold up until I can stomach the price of an LRA.... :cool:

I don't know what a J80 fuel tank is made out of but I've been able to clean a blow molded plastic tank in the past. I used rags lightly coated in acetone that were zip tied to a toilet brush. It took a long time elbow deep but it worked and didn't damage the tank. I rinsed with water and dried it well. That was 20 years ago on a fuel tank from a 1981 DeLorean. Worked great and the tank never cracked after 40+ years.

It's a steel tank.

I don't know what a J80 fuel tank is made out of but I've been able to clean a blow molded plastic tank in the past. I used rags lightly coated in acetone that were zip tied to a toilet brush. It took a long time elbow deep but it worked and didn't damage the tank. I rinsed with water and dried it well. That was 20 years ago on a fuel tank from a 1981 DeLorean. Worked great and the tank never cracked after 40+ years.
Fuel tank on all 80 series is carbon steel.

I'm Sure it's probably got an electro plate coating prior to paint.

Oh crap. That means I'll probably have to deal with this one day.

Forgive my ignorance but are steel tanks common for cars the age of the FZJ80? or does it just vary by automaker?
Varies by auto maker, but I would say it's probably 50/50 between steel and plastic due to weight savings and crash protection. First plastic tanks came out in the mid 1980's on the cheap, shytty cars and trucks. Plastics sucked back then, so there were failures.

Many race tracks require plastic fuel cells for crash protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom