Help me choose a rear bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Going to order a rear bumper next week. What do you have and what has been your experience with it? I want to hear all the negative aspects. Leaning heavily towards the victory, but open to others. I just want something that doesn’t hinder clearance too much. Anyone with the LFD rear? Was also thinking dobinsons, but I have a 2017 and I’ve heard some horror stories even though this one is super clean.
204F7EDC-97E3-4108-845E-FAEF8D5F1ACE.jpeg

I’ve had so many issues with tire carrier setups so I’m throwing in the towel and doing a full bumper.

I've got a buddy who likes to weld so we're going to put on a Coastal Offroad rear bumper in a couple of weeks. Saves some coin. It's about a clearanced as you can get given the placement of the rear crossmember.

Reactions: r2m
If you off road, steer clear of the Dobinson’s……unless you’re gonna beef up the wings yourself. If I was going to get a rear bumper the only one I would consider is the Expedition One because it’s the only one that has the integrated tire carrier. A double swing out with the side swing door is a total pain in the ass!

I love my LFD! Have Jay cut the bumper for the +2014 tail lights. I sent him my template.

Starts here post # 408

MetalTech is okay.
If I were to do it again, it would be all about weight savings.
Probably aluminum front and rear.
I don't mind the single swingout I have, but a double just seems too much trouble. Yeah, I understand it helps with load distribution but just another step to get the Costco shopping out of the back of the rig.

MetalTech is okay.
If I were to do it again, it would be all about weight savings.
Probably aluminum front and rear.
I don't mind the single swingout I have, but a double just seems too much trouble. Yeah, I understand it helps with load distribution but just another step to get the Costco shopping out of the back of the rig.
I’m not usually on grocery trips unless I need to pick up a few things and if so it goes in the back seat anyway. Grocery trips where we use the cargo area are a once a year thing and that’s a maybe. I actually don’t really open the rear up that much unless we’re camping or fishing.

I love my LFD! Have Jay cut the bumper for the +2014 tail lights. I sent him my template.

Starts here post # 408

Couple questions. First, how accurate are those lead times on the site? I noticed that your bumper is the only LFD that I’ve seen with cutouts for pod lights. Was that something that was requested or is that how they’re shipping them now? Lastly, browsing through your build thread I noticed something. It may be the angle of the pics or just an optical illusion, but does the bumper tilt down towards the rear? I know you said you leveled it out during the install, but some of the pics look like the upper edge tilts down. I know the bottom line on the sides does, but thought the top was straight. Maybe from the weight of the swingout being open? I really like how high it sits though.

I don’t see many options listed on the site. I’m guessing I would need to go over all of that with him first?

Couple questions. First, how accurate are those lead times on the site? I noticed that your bumper is the only LFD that I’ve seen with cutouts for pod lights. Was that something that was requested or is that how they’re shipping them now? Lastly, browsing through your build thread I noticed something. It may be the angle of the pics or just an optical illusion, but does the bumper tilt down towards the rear? I know you said you leveled it out during the install, but some of the pics look like the upper edge tilts down. I know the bottom line on the sides does, but thought the top was straight. Maybe from the weight of the swingout being open? I really like how high it sits though.

I don’t see many options listed on the site. I’m guessing I would need to go over all of that with him first?
The tilt is an optical illusion. Its due to the reverse taper of the lower bend. I requested the light cut outs, I would call Jay if you decide to buy a LFD. I have no idea what the current lead times are. This bumper does not flex anywhere near what other brands that I have installed, very little flex at all.

Not even mentioned, but I'll throw this out there for sake of info sharing.

I was considering a Kaymar, but they would prefer not to sell to '14+ GXs (or I can't remember the exact year split they had). They told me it was really really labor-intensive. So labor intensive, that shops don't want to touch it. The kaymar seemed to best fit my use case, just some protection, not serious bashing.

So now i'm considering a bumper cut, bash bar type setup and then add a tire carrier somehow. Something like this.
Lighter weight, provides protection if built/designed properly, higher clearance, bolt-on ideally.
Tire carrier might be something like the new JW offroad one.

Not even mentioned, but I'll throw this out there for sake of info sharing.

I was considering a Kaymar, but they would prefer not to sell to '14+ GXs (or I can't remember the exact year split they had). They told me it was really really labor-intensive. So labor intensive, that shops don't want to touch it. The kaymar seemed to best fit my use case, just some protection, not serious bashing.

So now i'm considering a bumper cut, bash bar type setup and then add a tire carrier somehow. Something like this.
Lighter weight, provides protection if built/designed properly, higher clearance, bolt-on ideally.
Tire carrier might be something like the new JW offroad one.
Wouldn’t mind something like that, but jw can’t even seem to answer messages so I went elsewhere. There’s no eta on the 460 carrier from them.

If I was going to get one today, I would get an Expedition One. Unfortunately unplanned expenses ate the bumper money so it's on hold. Honestly, while the fit and finish on the Expedition One looks nice, there isn't a bumper I really like, so I don't mind waiting to see if someone like Nguyen Works makes a lower profile steel plate bumper.

If I was going to get one today, I would get an Expedition One. Unfortunately unplanned expenses ate the bumper money so it's on hold. Honestly, while the fit and finish on the Expedition One looks nice, there isn't a bumper I really like, so I don't mind waiting to see if someone like Nguyen Works makes a lower profile steel plate bumper.
I’ve been hounding Nguyen Works for almost a year. I almost bought one of the 5th gen 4Runner bumpers just to see if it fits since others have put 4Runner bumpers on 460s, but with the time crunch I didn’t want to waste money if it wouldn’t work. I’ll probably do it in the future if they haven’t released one yet. I can track down a replacement cover pretty easily since the side cuts won’t be the same.

I’ve been hounding Nguyen Works for almost a year. I almost bought one of the 5th gen 4Runner bumpers just to see if it fits since others have put 4Runner bumpers on 460s, but with the time crunch I didn’t want to waste money if it wouldn’t work. I’ll probably do it in the future if they haven’t released one yet. I can track down a replacement cover pretty easily since the side cuts won’t be the same.
I don't know why it wouldn't work unless it was just a royal pain to get everything lined up or it sucks to clearance around the factory painted surfaces. I might look more into that.

I don't know why it wouldn't work unless it was just a royal pain to get everything lined up or it sucks to clearance around the factory painted surfaces. I might look more into that.
It’s all gonna depend on their hinge and latch placement as well as the overall dimensions. Of course the body lines are different and the plastic may protrude more on the gx making the sides and corners look bad or protrude more than the bumper itself. When I talked to them a while back they said they were planning to make one in the future, but they haven’t mentioned that again in recent correspondence.

I’d advise to go back to stock. Swingout bumpers are annoying as s*** for a lot of reasons, had one… sold it.

I’d advise to go back to stock. Swingout bumpers are annoying as s*** for a lot of reasons, had one… sold it.

I to recommend going back to stock and choosing a spare tire no larger than can fit in the stock carrier. 265/65 x 18 or 265/70 x 17 will fit and you will have the ability to go everywhere short of some of the "Jeep Badge" trails.

I to recommend going back to stock and choosing a spare tire no larger than can fit in the stock carrier. 265/65 x 18 or 265/70 x 17 will fit and you will have the ability to go everywhere short of some of the "Jeep Badge" trails.

Yeah that’s a no from me. It’s way too late in my build to go back to small stock sized tires. I didn’t put kings on it and cut the bumpers to run stock Bridgestones😂.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom