Help - Intermittent Electrical failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1974 FJ40 with the original 2F and an MSD electronic ignition. I have had this problem that is very concerning as it has left me dead in the middle of the street. Yesterday the vehicle fired right up and then when putting the choke in a little too early, it died. Tried to fire it up and nothing. No clicking, fully charged battery, newish battery cables with tight connections but no power (lights don't come on). Sometimes I can wait a few minutes or an hour and it fires right back up. I replaced the ignition switch and the cable harness from the ignition switch to under the dash, but I still get the issue. I unplugged and replugged the coil and it fired up one time but think that was a coincidence.

My electrical skills are rather limited, but wondering if anyone has any recommendations for troubleshooting?

Intermittent electrical problems can be a real chore to diagnose. Out of frustration I have even come to making up little 12v.pilot lights with alligator clips and attaching them at various places in the system. I would tape the lights to the windshield to monitor. When the intermittent failure occurred, I could instantly see what was getting power and what wasn’t. In your case I would attach one at the starter solenoid, and maybe one each side of the fusible link. The more the better. And put tape on the windshield inside to mark what each one is monitoring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom