Help identifying Clicking noise when turning at full lock (SOLVED) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Trying to isolate a noise, my mechanic doesn’t think it’s a bad cv.

Truck is a 2011 LX570 with 194k miles

What has changed in the last 3 days?

- replaced inner and outer tie rods - oem
- truck was just aligned
- truck just went 4wheeling

What’s the noise and when does it happen?

- an audible click that only happens at full lock however it’s not rhythmic to when the wheels turn. Sometimes it clicks often sometimes not really.
- braking to a stop 1 click is heard
- accelerating from a stop 1 click is hear.
- clicks when truck is parked and wheels are turned left to right at full lock
- almost sounds something is loose or going into and out of something under load

Where’s the noise?

- sounds like it’s coming coming from below the car maybe around the diff/driveshaft area OR on the front driver side

What have I done?

- jacked the front up turned the wheels hard left and right full lock no noise
- grabbed the CV zero play in CV.
- checked for play or busted ball joints and tie rods
- bushings look good as well

I’ll post a video soon

IMG_0313.jpeg

If it's only at full lock...

It's possibly the steering stops circled

1692151974066.png

If it's only at full lock...

It's possibly the steering stops circled

View attachment 3402394
Sorry I should say it clicks as I turn the wheel at a stop from left to right going to full lock, then when at full lock and going forward it clicks. The sound however is random and does not seem to be going with the speed of the wheel.

Apples to oranges, but my 80 had an intermittent front end clunk when turning at low speed, coming to a stop and sometimes when accelerating from a stop. Turns out the suspension arms were not torqued to spec (125-130# IIRC), imperceptible by jacking up the truck and wiggling things around, could only be heard when driving. Makes sense with the recent front end work and alignment.

Did the clunk and click sound like it came from from the middle or driver side and end up being this?

it was always a pinging sound coming from front-driver side wheel well. Always happened at compression or full lock because the sway bar was moving around

Apples to oranges, but my 80 had an intermittent front end clunk when turning at low speed, coming to a stop and sometimes when accelerating from a stop. Turns out the suspension arms were not torqued to spec (125-130# IIRC), imperceptible by jacking up the truck and wiggling things around, could only be heard when driving. Makes sense with the recent front end work and alignment.
I did not disconnect the LCA for the tie rods but I did touch the links and the dealer touched the LCAs for the alignment ill check torque!

Just from a kind of similar experience in the past (albeit with a different car), did you check to make sure it’s not the backing plates making contact the rotors? Small likelihood, but I figure it‘s a pretty quick check that could get missed sometimes.

Hi all,

Looks like I found the issue. I am now confident it can be one of 2 things

1) - Swaybar end links, Driver side end link shows the metal ball exposed and exposed to dirt, passenger side looks the same as well - I will be replacing both
2) - When I went to get an alignment I noticed the techs struggling because my LCA alignment bolts were seized and while they were able to free them both (rear) front lower control arm bushings (P and D) are torn. The pattern looks like it was torn clockwise.

So new links ordered. I am waiting until my LCAs get worse and then I will purchase 2 new complete arms as they include the LBJs.

Hi all,

Looks like I found the issue. I am now confident it can be one of 2 things

1) - Swaybar end links, Driver side end link shows the metal ball exposed and exposed to dirt, passenger side looks the same as well - I will be replacing both
2) - When I went to get an alignment I noticed the techs struggling because my LCA alignment bolts were seized and while they were able to free them both (rear) front lower control arm bushings (P and D) are torn. The pattern looks like it was torn clockwise.

So new links ordered. I am waiting until my LCAs get worse and then I will purchase 2 new complete arms as they include the LBJs.
Did this resolve the issue? I have the same noise and read on another thread the potential for it to be the CV.

Did this resolve the issue? I have the same noise and read on another thread the potential for it to be the CV.
my truck is sadly sold but it turned out to be torn Lower control arm bushings.

Lexus dealer torn them when I took it in for an alignment, but I assume cam bolts were seized so I never made a stink about it

Last edited:
my truck is sadly sold but it turned out to be torn Lower control arm bushings.

Lexus dealer torn them when I took it in for an alignment, but I assume cam bolts were seized so I never made a stink about it

Wish I saw this before I replaced my CVs thinking why not as I am at 190k on my 2016.
So you can say matter of fact that the noise is the LCA bushings? This was confirmed with the new owner?

Wish I saw this before I replaced my CVs thinking why not as I am at 190k on my 2016.
So you can say matter of fact that the noise is the LCA bushings? This was confirmed with the new owner?
Correct it is matter of fact. I saw it and assumed by the owner did a pre-purchase inspection and the shop confirmed it.

Good news is while they were torn you would never know it driving the truck, the clicking and visual inspection underneath diagnosed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom