Help HAM newbie with Yaesu FT-60R (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In regard to using repeaters:

I tune to the OUTPUT frequency of the repeater station. If I have ARS (Automatic Repeater Shift) enabled, any transmission I make while tuned to the output frequency will occur on the correct INPUT frequency for the repeater? Is this correct?

Beyond the standard magnitude of frequency shift (600 kHz on 2m), how does ARS know if it is a positive or negative shift?

Thanks for your time.

Each repeater band specification generally include a standard +/- offset, i.e. some bands are +, some are -. My vx-7r and my FT-470 seem to have all the recommended shifts built-in. Unless the repeater is non-standard or your HT doesn't have it built-in, it should just work.

Each repeater band specification generally include a standard +/- offset, i.e. some bands are +, some are -. My vx-7r and my FT-470 seem to have all the recommended shifts built-in. Unless the repeater is non-standard or your HT doesn't have it built-in, it should just work.

So theoretically all I need to do is program the CTCSS tone, if the repeater specifies one?
For example:

Repeaters - Abajo Peak

Yes, ARS should take care of standard repeater shifts, + or -. You set the CTCSS tone, and then optionally save the setup to memory. And you're ready.

In regard to using repeaters:

I tune to the OUTPUT frequency of the repeater station. If I have ARS (Automatic Repeater Shift) enabled, any transmission I make while tuned to the output frequency will occur on the correct INPUT frequency for the repeater? Is this correct?

Beyond the standard magnitude of frequency shift (600 kHz on 2m), how does ARS know if it is a positive or negative shift?

Thanks for your time.

I have an FT-60.

The radio has automatic repeater shift enabled by default (assuming you have a USA version lol). the shift occurs when you hit the PTT (push to talk) button. Look at the display when you do, it will change

The shift amount +- depends on which portion of the sub band you are in (including no shift in simplex portion) don't sweat it, it is programmed correctly out of the box.

The tone feature for the CTCSS tone needs to be turned on, and then it has to be the correct freq one for the particular repeater (or if you and your buddy are running tone squelch). There is a scan function that will determine the tone for a repeater, as long as a transmission is occurring on the repeater. This feature is slow, and I just manually scan anyway.....it is not too hard.

The ARS shifts are specified in your user's manual, I believe they're all +-600. These are pretty much standard, and should work for your repeater.

If the repeater uses anything other than +-600 at its specified frequency, you'll have to set the shift manually under the shift option in the main menu (I believe you'll have to turn off ARS during programming)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom