For Sale Help evaluating an fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Now sure if this is the correct forum for this....my apologies if its not.

I'd appreciate the help of all you landcruiser fans. I'm looking at this 40 and would like to know what you all see and think.

What I like: original, stock wheels, no visible rust (owner says one small spot in rear passenger side) original, decent paint, winch, appears complete....original.

What i don't like: fender flares, auxiliary gas tank, non stock roll bar, not sure about weber and hei.

Original ad:

"For Sale: A nice fj40 - as seen in photos. Original low mileage. Equipped with: header, HEI, auxillary fuel tank, full roll cage, Weber carburetor & Warn winch.

Runs, drives stops- does everything it was designed to do. Zero smog requirements - it's a '75."

00P0P_fqIztYKLTMdz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00T0T_agYTOzpzf8Jz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00X0X_guh4qNWRDiDz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00c0c_2dFhmiVuINWz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

01414_bSRdSiWAirvz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00e0e_gDDIwzisz39z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of red, but if you like it and it drives good it's a solid $23-24k rig imo from just pics I can see, $30k I'd bet for a original paint Blue or Tan in that condition. Springs and shackles look cheezy. Winch looks like an oldy, that could be cool. For me it's the red, maybe some non biased members can give it a higher number.

If accurate, it's a nice truck, but kinda high for the market, at least for what I'd pay . Will have drum breaks all around. May be a respray... May be a flip.

Too much!

Oakweb. Red is what I'm looking for. While I like all thd other colors, especially the olive and seafoam green, I've always wanted a red one (my original fj40 was dune beige). He said the winch is an 8274. Agree on the suspension, I'd probably add an OME lift.

Spike. Thanks for posting the link. Couldn't figure out how to do that. He said paint is origimal except for the hood.

I agree, price seems a little bit high. By the time i fixed the rear fenders and added a lift, it'd be getting pretty costly.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Stink

Morning

Something else to consider is any FJ40 you find will need something to make it exactly what you want. End of the day looks like a great rig and wouldn’t be to difficult to source some of the missing original parts to put it back to OEM... Sheet metal work on fenders and removal of aux tank don’t seem like a big deal.. Original un-molested dash and original floor mat is a PLUS!!

I'm not a fan of red, but if you like it and it drives good it's a solid $23-24k rig imo from just pics I can see, $30k I'd bet for a original paint Blue or Tan in that condition. Springs and shackles look cheezy. Winch looks like an oldy, that could be cool. For me it's the red, maybe some non biased members can give it a higher number.
This is a fair assessment. Bear in mind, this is a California rig, and being smog exempt in this state carries a hefty price premium. I agree that $30K is a bit high, but think that $25K is a drop what you’re doing and buy it now price in California.

What are your plans for it? Can you live with that rust that’s there or would you want to replace the panel(s). If you’re good with it as is, plus any personal changes like lift, etc., it looks decent from pics. Clean the undercoating off and start treating that rust and it should be good for a long time. I agree $30k is too high for what I’d pay, but the prices are going nuts right now. I would think low $20’s.

I just want an original that i can putz around with and drive on nice days. No wheeling, though i might take it offroad occasionally. I can't see the rust in the pictures. If its minor, I'd probably just treat it and live with it. I'd like to keep it as original as possible. I like to putter...clean, detail, swap out easy bolt on parts. But I'm not a mechanic or bodyman (though I did rebuild the engine on my first FJ with the help of a good friend), so anything major would have to be done by others. It seems like a good place to start for me, if a bit spendy.

I appreciate everyone's input....

Obviously it needs an in person look, but it sounds like it fits the bill of what you’re looking for. I’d think anything up to $25k-ish is pretty good. Even if you paid $28k; what’s a couple grand over time if you enjoy it?

I have a 75 - same truck. Not sure what is under the doors. It was definitely "off-roaded". Carb, radiator, and the stainless steel door on the right rear quarter are not original. light rust behind backseat - looks surface rust. As per the other folks who gave great insight, define / confirm the rust! Good luck make the right decision!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom