help a newbie in a fj40 purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=scubajohn link=board=1;threadid=11193;start=msg101317#msg101317 date=1076221804]
one more

How do do I tell if its the original f motor or has been upgraded to the f2 ? is it on the block some place ?
[/quote]

IIRC, the VIN stamp on the passenger side of the motor will start with "2F", also the oil filter from 74 on was on the passenger side. If the body is that clean, I would throw the cash at her and run. All the other issues are easily solved, especially with the factory manual as stated above.

I had a 78 40 that after setting for a year was had to shift at first ... in first gear i would "bump" the clutch as i pulled back and it would slide in after a few times it moved fine . give it a trie i bet it works

3500 is a steal. :D best run over before she changes her mind :D, any truck you buy your gonna have to sink some loot into. sounds like you have a score :cheers: good luck

I will be on my way back over there after sleeping on it well laying in bed all night I decided to get it.

I do remember seeing the oil filter on the drivers side so I take it its an f and not a 2f

Thanks again for all the info.

John

[quote author=scubajohn link=board=1;threadid=11193;start=msg101419#msg101419 date=1076261858]
I will be on my way back over there after sleeping on it well laying in bed all night I decided to get it.

I do remember seeing the oil filter on the drivers side so I take it its an f and not a 2f

Thanks again for all the info.

John

[/quote]

You are correct, unless they did a filter relocation (doubtful) it is an F engine.

well its in the driveway :) I am trying to adjust the drums they are supper spungy I got the bent screwdriver adjustment tool now I just have to find the stupid access port :( I have never seen a drum before and from the looks of the manual the plug is not back there hehehe. It does have what looks like stainless flex line coming from the engine compartment to the hard lines. I tugged like a mofo on the transfercase shifter and it does not budge. I found a local person with a 4speed and 2 xfer cases he is selling for 250 says one xfer case is good and the 4 speed is good. is that a good deal or should I just look into having mine rebuilt ?

I have never been happy about having to work on a car before

So whats the trick to fiding the port to adjust the brakes ? I removed the tire and put it on jack stands do I have to remove anything else ? I even scraped away the crud behind the wheel by the ball joint where it connects to the axle and no plastic plug.

Thanks guys

on either side of the axle. Should be 2. Number 20 in figure.

bbbut before you adjust your brakes, bleed them. They are probably spongy because of air in the line.

I would rebuild/fix your transfer case before buying somebody else's troubles. You most likely don't need to get into the whole thing to fix the shift.

All 8 bleaders were bled and the fluid moved easy with no air bubbles. I got the fronts to drag by adjusting the star nut after I found one rubber cap on a rear drum I then knew what to look for :) thanks for the picture. The passenger side would drag then move free so I take that to mean it needs turning. http://jeffzepp.cruiserpages.com/tech/brakes.htm was a huge help.

I could never get the rears to drag and I turned for a long while. Next step will be to remove the tires and drums and see whats in there. Or seeing as I dont know anything about drums it may go to a brake shop and see what they have to say.

Thanks for the help

The transfer case is on hold till I get it road worthy

Congrats on your new purchase. Hopefully your wife won't get jealous of all the time you spend with the "other woman"

This board is great for helping to solve problems,

Welcome aboard John

Ken

Update

Got 3 of the 4 drums working great. The 4th needs both cylenders rebuilt or replaced. Any ideas on a good place to start looking for a rebuild kit ? are they hard to rebuild ?

Transfer case is still stuck. But I have not messed with it much.
any Ideas on how to unstick it :)

Don't rebuild, replace otherwise you'll be rebuilding it again in six months. NAPA can get them, or CCOT, Toyota or anybody else.

Have you checked the fluid level in th xfer case yet. Chances are the people you bought it from never used it and they sometimes can leak between there and the tranny.

I agree with not rebuilding the brake cylinder. PIA not worth it. Be specific about which one it is when you order it: they are not the same.

thanks for the info on the brake cylenders. Well with me in the cab and pulling on the transfer case and a friend under the truck tapping with a hammer it came loose and now shifts easy. Next step is to relube it all and change out all the fluids.

That's good news! You'll learn that as you fix something there is always something else that needs doing, even if it is not broke. My cruiser is running well and I just replaced the bad solenoid. I am trying to decide if I should rebuild the carb or go with an HEI ignition. Niether are absolutly needed, just wanting to improve the perfomance. I guess I'll decide after I install the lift kit this weekend.

Ken

I duno how life is without the electronic ignition but this one has one and it cranks and starts instantly.

Ya I am thinking the carb may need some help. When it hits turbo err ummm the secondary it will sputter and then take off kind of like its getting flooded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom