1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help a newbie in a fj40 purchase

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by scubajohn, Feb 7, 2004.

1. scubajohn

scubajohn

its a 70 fj40 no visable rust even the frame is clean. Its lived in california for at least 20 years. The owner passed away and his wife is getting rid of it. It has been converted to a 4 speed with the in line 6 duno if its the original motor. Has some dents and dings nothing horible. A few problems it smells like gas pretty bad inside. I cant get the 4wd hi/low shifter to move ? do the hubs have to be locked ? is there a button that has to be pushed ? the shift pattern plaq shows you need to push/pull something but I cant find it :) and she does not know where it is or how to work the 4wd. It has been converted to a 4 speed so I am not sure if the button was moved when it was changed to floor shift. The rear hatch doors lock is stuck in the locked position turning the key it will just spin and spin and spin. It starts right up electronic ignition and electric choke with a webber carb. And the brakes are really strange. The peddle goes all the way to the floor and is very soft but it does stop and if you pump them it stops better but no way will they lock up the tires.

I have her down to 3500 and hate to not jump on it but want to ask people that know how bad the problems may be to fix. I have been looking to get into a fj40 for a year now :).

thanks for all your input

John

2. fjcruiser

fjcruiser

If the tub and body are in that good of shape, I'd buy it. Fixing the problems will teach you alot about the rig.
    It would be nice to check out the 4wd before hand.
    All of the other problems are relatively easy fixes.

3. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Everything you describe is fixable. You have a load of work ahead. Go for it, if you love it, but be prepared.

4. scubajohn

scubajohn

so is there a reason the 4wd hi/low will not move ? other than the "missing button" or is it because I did not lock the hubs. I will be going back to look it over again Sunday and hope I can get the 4wd shift lever to move :) so I can check it out.

the tub and body make all the less expencive ones on ebay look like crap :). and I dont have to pay shipping and know it at least runs.

thanks guys

5. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

Sometimes when it is in 4WD 4WHI and you want to go back to 2WHI you have to put it in reverse for about 15-20 feet and then shift it. Both FJ40s I have had had to do that. Unlocking the hubs won't impact that.

If the engine runs ell and there is not a lot of rust I would go for it. Make sure the hubs are unlocked while you drive it until you figure out the problem. If the "gas smell" you are referring to is more of an exahuast smell, then either you exhaust system is leaking or your carb needs some work. The xhaust can be checked for free at a muffler shop.

Make sure you check the fluids and bleed the brakes.

Good Luck!

6. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    If the FWD mech is converted to a floor shift, you don't need to pull any knobs. If it is a vacuum shift, then you'll have some work to figure it out. You may have to be in motion to get it to shift, if things aren't lined up properly, with a direct shift. By the way, what is she asking for it?

7. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Oh, and the gas smell may be the rubber tube from the filler to the gas tank is worn or not sealed correctly.

8. scubajohn

scubajohn

she wanted 4.5K and is going to put it in the autotrader on monday so I really want to pick it up before that happens :) I think its a steal at 3.5k unless the tcase is toast. And the gas tank is shot. Well the tank is not to big of a deal I work in a family owned metal fab shop :) so cutting welding and custom cnc brackets are no big deal heheh. I just dont know anything about the trans/gears/mechanical stuff but I am owed TONS of favors by back yard mechanics ;) hehehe I just can never find them when I need help hehehe.

9. scubajohn

scubajohn

so how can I tell if its vacume shift ? or is there any other kinds? if it is vacume is there a way to make it shift ? If a line is leaking or plugged. It was a daily driver up to a few months ago.

10. Romer

[quote author=scubajohn link=board=1;threadid=11193;start=msg101294#msg101294 date=1076220636]
    so how can I tell if its vacume shift ? or is there any other kinds? if it is vacume is there a way to make it shift ? If a line is leaking or plugged. It was a daily driver up to a few months ago.

[/quote]
    If the 4WD shift is on the floor, then it is not a vacuum shift. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Vacuum shifts are normally on the dash.

11. scubajohn

scubajohn

ok :) so if its not vaccume shift how hard should I force on the shifter to get it to move. should I try crawling under it and moving the front drive line ? it should move freely right could that lossen it up so it will then engage ?

thanks guys :) the more I think about it the more I am sure I will take her the all mighty doller on Sunday its alot cleaner than any of the other ones I have looked at.

I would definatly still like to make sure the t-case works so any tips on how to unstick it would be wonderfull :)

12. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Ken is right. Vacuum knob and lever on the dash, direct transfer shift on the floor. Bench seat usually had vacuum. The shift mech generally separates from the transfer and it is something that you will be able to fix with time. Take your time and learn about it, unless you have to go 4 wheel it tomorrow. I wouldn't let the transfer shift deter me at all. If it does, you should go buy a brand new Heep and forget about an old cruiser!

13. scubajohn

scubajohn

one thing I dont mind is getting my hands dirty or getting in over my head hehehe.

14. scubajohn

scubajohn

and no 4 wheeling till the brakes work :) anyways

15. Romer

Having a transfer case rebuilt is not tremendously expensive. Its probably several hundred dollars though. You should figure on putting some money into any cruiser you buy. If the body is in great shape and the engine runs good, then you have taken care of the two most expensive items.

16. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Your next purchase, after the '40, should be the F Engine Manual and the Land Cruiser Chassis and Body Manual from Toyota.

:cheers:

17. scubajohn

scubajohn

and its definatly a gass smell its there when the fj is closed up and will clear out if its doors and windows are opend up and will come back when the doors are closed even with the engine off.

thanks again guys

18. scubajohn

scubajohn

it actualy has the manuals for the body and also the repair manual and some catalogs and a reprint of the owners manual. Thats where I found the "button" thing about trying to get the 4wd to engage. All the seals for the doors and top were just replalced a little over a year ago.

19. scubajohn

scubajohn

one more

How do do I tell if its the original f motor or has been upgraded to the f2 ? is it on the block some place ?

20. Romer

That should be easy to fix. Depending on your experiance, you may want to take it to a shop after you buy it that specializes in Toyotas and works on FJ40's (not the dealer) I would pay them to go through it with a fine tooth comb. This will give you a list to start with. Thats what I did. I elected to have them do the Trunioun seals on the axle while I worked the rest of the list off.