HEI problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, so far I've only heard a couple of stories on this thread and one other. They end up swapping both the coil and ign. module, then everything goes back to normal. Don't know if this is because they were junkyard dizzies with junkyard coils and i.m.'s, or if they were new. Also wondering if the diz was being fed the correct voltage, or if it was something specifically related to plug gap.
I have a friend on the board who has a HEI with DUI parts, and has no problems in the 5+ years he's had it. I am curios about the problem stories cause it'll help me when troubleshooting, as I'm putting an HEI in pretty quick.
I plan on buying oem internals and see how they work out, then possibly switching to some more performance mods in the future, if need be. The diz body I bought is for a 77 Camero with a 292. The different thing is that it only has two wires coming out of it, a red one and brown one. Most people seem to have three. Am I still good?

Some of these problems sound like the kinds of things that happen when the grounding of the module and the coil in the HEI distrubutor get corroded enough to cause a higher resistance. They can be hard to find because it involves the undersides of the contacts where the mounting screws go, and because the corrosion is sometimes not the usual rust color. Aluminum corrodes white/grey instead of brown.
Just a suggestion..

weird coils

hey richard, hows it going? saw a lot pics of the fishing trip. looked as tho that guide knows his business..didnt know texoma could grow them like that.

the coil is a good place to start. they are strange devices. the bad one we had checked out great using the resistance figures supplied by dui and yet did not work.

morse-dont know what to think. certainly hope it is not a recurring problem, but then again dui asked no questions and did hesitate to send new parts. maybe they know of a problem? dell just had to replace a zillion parts in one their comps due to manufacturers glitch. that should did NOT hesitate to send new parts.

you all have a nice turkey day :cheers: :beer:

rush, if have an hei with coil in the cap then you 2-3 wires coming from module to cap. to hook the hei up all you need is switched 12 volt which plugs int 0ne the outer male spades. the other outer spade is for a tach. should marked. we used 12 off the bat to a 30amp relay switched by the key. make any sense?

Just barely Jim, don't know if the Guiness was kicking in or you were on a canoe ride, hehe! Uh, the male spades you refering to on the cap? The wires coming out of the diz are female (stupid technicality maybe). What is the electronic component screwed to the bottom of the inside of the diz? I thought I had a diagram to this particular diz somewhere, but can't seem to remember where.

I have a DUI that came from Man A Fre that I have used for 2K miles or so. Runs great when I don't have other problems (Carb, etc). I hooked the positive to the positive that used to go to the coil/igniter and the negative to the neg. to the old coil. Works great. Tack too.

Hey Richard, Welcome
All is well with the cruiser for now. Nicole and I took a little excursion in it up to the Hill Top yasterday, we found a shord cut!!! I think we ruined the trail for the Ford though. We had a great dinner at Jim's house last night. Went fishing on Travis this morning with Robert, cought a few large mouth.

Jeff

P.S. Did the coil get you going?

Last edited:
Fj40 Coil

Hey Jeff,

It appears as though the new coil has taken care of the problem. Thanks for
checking your 2F coil for me. Also, I just downloaded the shots from Texoma.

Later,
Richard

PS. Is the shortcut to the Hilltop legal?
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom