Heater blower problems solved, multiple issues. (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I figured I would share my experience for future people with the same issue, as all my problems are common they just all happened to me at once.
Originally a few weeks ago the heater worked fine when suddenly I lost speeds 1-2. 3-4 worked fine so I just left it as a future me problem. Later when I was way out in the bush hunting in 0 degree Celsius all blower speeds stopped working. Got home ok with just the outside air speed supplying enough.

First check fuses, a 10A fuse labelled AC being a likely culprit.

Upon doing research I found it was likely the blower resistors. To find that if you don’t know, it’s a little wire harness with two bolts behind the gas pedal and to the right (on LHD) on the body of the air unit. Pulled it out and one of the 3 coils was broken/open. Instead of buying new I had a local electronics shop solder it up for 10$. I thought problem solved but still no blower.

Next I made the mistake of pulling apart the dash to remove the switch. It wasn’t necessary and upon following the manual I learned it’s easiest to check the switch by pulling out the gauge cluster where you will find a 5/6 pin wiring harness sitting on the steering column that comes from said switch. you can double check the continuities and resistances of the blower resistor at this point. Switch tested out fine (as they nearly always do).

Next to check was the relay, when switch goes from 0-1 I hear an audible click and can even feel the relay click. It is under the drivers dash basically behind the fuse panel, there are 4 relays in a line and it’s the first one closest to the fuse panel. Hearing it click I thought it was good. Power was present on both the coil and switch side of the relay. power should travel from the relay to the 10A AC fuse and then onto the motor, I was not seeing power at the fuse. I removed the relay and Using a wire I jumped the switch side of the fuse (jumping the coil side will blow the 15A IGNITION fuse), this supplied power to the 10A ac fuse and to the wiring harness at the motor, but still no blower action.

Power should go through the blower motor and then through the switch and the various blower motor resistors before returning to ground. I knew my resistors and switch were good. So I banged on the blower motor and heard some weak attempts at spinning. I swear it never seemed to have any issue spinning before this, no excessive noise or anything. So I pull the motor assembly out, open up the back of the motor and it’s full of carbon, motor does not spin as freely as I thought and one of the brushes is completely disintegrated. Motor needs replacing.
Sorry for the long winded read. Hope this helps someone.

TLDR: blower stopped working. All at once I had a failed relay, a blown blower resistor, and a blower motor with a destroyed brush and worn bearings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom