Header and Exhaust Install (Doug Thorley Products) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I dropped her off for about a week to a week and a half today. I know they will treat her right, but still driving a Ford Edge just isn't doing it for me.

They didn't have all the exhausts or headers sitting out for me to take pics of, and I didn't think anyone wanted to just see the factory.

I have a picture of the FJ Cruiser exhaust ends which are the same ones that the LC will have.

P1190017.jpg

P1190018.jpg

Also saw this on the way home on the freeway ( I guess I was driving a bit too fast)

P1190019.jpg

Nick over at Doug Thorley will sending me progress pics.

They will have her for at least a week and a half. One of the techs broke their collar bone, so they cannot get everything done in a week. They could get the exhaust done in that time, but would not be able to install the headers. They would just give them to me.

I decided I would rather them get installed by them and wait a bit more on the return of my beloved LC.

The factory was very impressive and it was great to see a company do 95% of the manufacturing in the USA.

I decided to do the dual driver exhaust as the final fitting. Someone made a point that having it behind the wheel might result in the same issues that my mudflaps had....getting caught between a rock and the wheel.

Doing dual opposite rear exhaust tips just seems like asking for trouble. I would rather know that 1 side is at risk then 2.

Anyway, as I get progress pics, I will post them.

Last edited:
Oh and about the Dyno testing. They were more then willing, but their machine is only for 2 wheel drive.

I told them to jack up the front, that was a no-go!

Oh My Gosh....no comments yet?!?!?!

Wow....I am hurt! :flipoff2:

I'll post a comment.....

:flipoff2:

Yup. I hate you! That's going to be f'ing sick!

You need them to take that thing over to a 4WD dyno PRONTO! We need stock numbers up against modified numbers. You're just going to say "OMG I LOVE THIS THING" when you get it back...but we need numbers to back up your claims. Oh, and a video of the sound would be badass.

And that photo? It's a ford right...yeah, they do that. It's covered under the owner's manual that they may spontaneously combust, but who reads that thing anyway. It's also an audi thing I hear. :doh:

And that photo? It's a ford right...yeah, they do that. It's covered under the owner's manual that they may spontaneously combust, but who reads that thing anyway. It's also an audi thing I hear. :doh:

Whoa, whoa, WHOA!!!! Let's leave the audis out of this!...this is a LC Forum. No need to bash on some sweet rides. I've owned only 5 audis, and an additional 5 in the family, and none of them have ever spontaneously combusted. That's just mean. As far as the ford goes...bash away.

By the way DTT255...none of us care about your exhaust and header install. We're glad you're driving a crappy rental. Enjoy it. I hope it stalls out on you and stuff. I hope it's stinky.

All kidding aside, all the best, and I hope you enjoy...just don't forget to tell them that I will be calling, and I want a deal for this stuff!

Thanks.

Whoa, whoa, WHOA!!!! Let's leave the audis out of this!...this is a LC Forum. No need to bash on some sweet rides. I've owned only 5 audis, and an additional 5 in the family, and none of them have ever spontaneously combusted. That's just mean. As far as the ford goes...bash away.

By the way DTT255...none of us care about your exhaust and header install. We're glad you're driving a crappy rental. Enjoy it. I hope it stalls out on you and stuff. I hope it's stinky.

All kidding aside, all the best, and I hope you enjoy...just don't forget to tell them that I will be calling, and I want a deal for this stuff!

Thanks.

Eh, I was only saying that "it happens." Audi recalled 68,000 cars last year due to the possibility of gas tank explosions. In 2004, Audi recalled another 173,000 cars due to faulty wiring which could cause an explosion. I personally knew 3 people who had audi's combust on them while driving down the highway. Luckily they are all OK without any injury -- minus burnt cars. I'm glad to hear you haven't experienced this issue!

Spoke to Thorley today. They were testing out on of the exhausts and found that it hit the rear sway bar at full compression. So they are redesigning that today.

While the R&D was doing that, they went ahead and put on the shorty headers :) He is going to try and take pics today for me.

I found a DYNO place that does 4 wheel drive and they are only 15-20 min from Thorley!! So I am going to schedule that for the day I pick her up!

Spoke to Thorley today. They were testing out on of the exhausts and found that it hit the rear sway bar at full compression. So they are redesigning that today.

While the R&D was doing that, they went ahead and put on the shorty headers :) He is going to try and take pics today for me.

I found a DYNO place that does 4 wheel drive and they are only 15-20 min from Thorley!! So I am going to schedule that for the day I pick her up!

...but no before dyno :(

Oh well...I'm excited to see some figures!

BTW -- did you talk to the dealership about your warranty? Headers are usually a no-no...I'm curious if they said anything.

...but no before dyno :(

Oh well...I'm excited to see some figures!

BTW -- did you talk to the dealership about your warranty? Headers are usually a no-no...I'm curious if they said anything.

Nope none before, but to be honest, we already know HP and Torque. So no a big deal to me.

Nah....as long as the headers are only BOLT ON and not modification was done to the actual engine the warranty is fine.

To be honest, even if they saw the headers, they know so little about this truck, they probably would not even notice.

To be honest, even if they saw the headers, they know so little about this truck, they probably would not even notice.

Tis true!!! The techs ogle over it every time it's in the shop. :D

I don't even think they would question the dual exhaust!

How can you stand this wait? Even I'm jumping out of my seat drooling?

I expect you to take a video ASAP.

I wanna see two shots (yes...I'm directing this, lol) :flipoff2:

One with the camera behind the vehicle and rev that puppy
The other get your son, wife, dog, or whomever to hold the camera as you drive by -- both slowly, then another pass and HAMMER DOWN!!!

Oooooo....can't wait! I think I was born with a fixation for loud engines...

EDIT: Oh, and are they removing the rear resonator? I don't see it mid-line in the exhaust pipe! Good!!!

Lol I will try and accomidate you!

Remember I am not getting rid of either of the cat converters so it wond sound that different, at least I don't think so.

I am getting the shorty headers....not the long ones. I still have to pass california emissions.

How am I standing it? Ummm min by min....

Ok it is killing me!!!

Lol I will try and accomidate you!

Remember I am not getting rid of either of the cat converters so it wond sound that different, at least I don't think so.

I am getting the shorty headers....not the long ones. I still have to pass california emissions.

How am I standing it? Ummm min by min....

Ok it is killing me!!!

Changing the headers can make a deeper sound if they flow more air, which they will -- that's the idea.
Coming off the headers you have:
1) Catalytic converter -- you aren't changing it
2) Muffler -- new free-flow muffler, correct?
3) Resonator -- removed.

In the pics you posted there is no resonator, btw.

Also, do you know where the duals connect? I doubt this is a true twin -- meaning that the left and right headers are kept separate and have separate mufflers all the way to dual tips. (which by the way would be freakn' awesome!)

Do you know the stock pipe diameter was and what the new one is? I'm assuming as well that this is all mandral bended, correct?

Sorry so many questions, but this is definitely my next mod!!!

Changing the headers can make a deeper sound if they flow more air, which they will -- that's the idea.
Coming off the headers you have:
1) Catalytic converter -- you aren't changing it
2) Muffler -- new free-flow muffler, correct?
3) Resonator -- removed.

In the pics you posted there is no resonator, btw.

Also, do you know where the duals connect? I doubt this is a true twin -- meaning that the left and right headers are kept separate and have separate mufflers all the way to dual tips. (which by the way would be freakn' awesome!)

Do you know the stock pipe diameter was and what the new one is? I'm assuming as well that this is all mandral bended, correct?

Sorry so many questions, but this is definitely my next mod!!!

Look inside the pipe in the second pic.....there is a resonator inside there. At least that is what they told me.

I dont have a clue on the rest of the stuff. I will try and find out.

If you don't have pre and post runs on the same dyno with close to the same weather conditions you are wasting your money. You can not compare motor HP at the flywheel (Toyota spec) with what you will get from the dyno. (OK there is ways, but so many assumptions are made that it is not very usefull)

If you don't have pre and post runs on the same dyno with close to the same weather conditions you are wasting your money. You can not compare motor HP at the flywheel (Toyota spec) with what you will get from the dyno. (OK there is ways, but so many assumptions are made that it is not very usefull)

That makes sense.

Would not it gives us an good range of an increase?

I guess it is time for someone else to step up and pay for a Dyno test on thiers! They don't cost that much!

I think to make it worth while, you would need to use the same car (before and after). I gues we are SOL on true improvements, however, I think you will be happy either way.

By the way, when do you get the rig back?

Well another update from them.

There will be no dual split rear exhaust. There is no way to route the second pipe on the passenger side without hitting the spare or other tings.

So there will only be dual driver rear or dual drivers side output.

They say they are going to offer either dual 2 1/2 inch tips or a single 3".

My name is Nick and I am the sales manager at Thorley. First I have to thank DTT for the use of his LC. We had high hopes for a true dual split rear system but there is just not any clearance for the tubes on the passenger side. We have three designs we are working on. We are going to have a dual dr. side exit with TRD style tips. Then we will have a single 3" out the dr side. Lastly we will have the single 3" out the back like stock. The systems will be completely constructed of 2.5" and 3" stainless with stainless mufflers and tip. On the tundra we saw anywhere from 13-17hp just with a catback so the LC should be the same. Combine that with our long tube or shorty headers for a gain in excess of 40hp and 40tq. That is going to be a lethal combo. As far as pics I dropped the ball and can't find the cable to the camera. I will get pics as promised on Monday.

Thanks
Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom