head over wheels right now (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Whats going on guys, so im currently faced with a issue. I wake up to find one of my tires completley blow out.. I was not overly suprised as i made the mistake of buying 4 bfg at 265/75/16 on craigslist at night.... ya night being a key word. with that being said i had them installed the next day only to find very bad weather cracking but not bad enough to the point where they were not drivable as tread was still at 95%. For you Arizona guys i took my cruiser out to chiva falls ( yes made it there and back with no issues stock ) being very rocky and airing down i returned to the asphalt with 3 2 inch slices all the way down to the wire in my tire. Enough with the background sob story about me being stupid. So now with me having 4 unsafe tires I face a major issue. As many of you may know im 17 so buying a new pair of BFG AT kO2 33s for 1000$ is not only of my interest but I cannot fund that right now. So my question is what would you guys do? I found a guy with 4 procomp extreme ats 285/75/16 local only asking 250$ OBO with 40-50% tread left but then found some BFG KO2 315/75/16 for the same price with 50% life left. In other words im lost in the world of new tires and no money... any suggestions help thanks guys.

Well, you've already discovered the potential downside of buying used tires. I'd suggest that you would be better off borrowing the money necessary for a new set of tires (with road hazard insurance). I'd point out as a parent, having my kid running around on a safe set of tires is pretty darn important to me.

Well, you've already discovered the potential downside of buying used tires. I'd suggest that you would be better off borrowing the money necessary for a new set of tires (with road hazard insurance). I'd point out as a parent, having my kid running around on a safe set of tires is pretty darn important to me.
What do you reccomend? sticking with a name brand or going with a cheaper brand like iron man? Also from my research 33s are the way to go as 35s cause issues with rubbing?

I'm a little funny about tires for me or my family, I'd stick to a name brand instead of an off brand or retread. If buying for my son, it may not be the coolest mud terrains, but a mainstream AT would make sense.

As far as size, 285/75R16:
What is the largest tire I can fit with no lift?

I've purchased used tires and wheels three times. From my experience the tires on all three occasions were not the right amount of thread stated by the seller. The tires were not balanced and had worn unevenly. On one occasion the tires were the same I just missed the fact that they had diff. born on dates. The third time I bought the set just for the wheels. I knew the tires were going to be tossed.

I'd say tires are a critical factor in the safety of you and your passengers and the performance or the vehicle. Pay now. Or pay later.

Used tires can be a steal, and I'd rather run used BFG's than new discount brand tires. Just be more careful next time man.

You might post of in The Copper State Cruiser Forum. There could be another Cruiser guy in town with what you need.

Jim

I've run used tires from a regular Used Tire Shop from time time. I have gotten good results for a short term fix. Probably a total of 10 tires I've run so far. Inspect the tires before mounting

good news! just payed for a pair of NEW bfg ats 285/75/16... had the option to get a copper MAXX 255/85/16 and kindve sweating about not getting them. Can someone tell me which is a better tire?

good news! just payed for a pair of NEW bfg ats 285/75/16... had the option to get a copper MAXX 255/85/16 and kindve sweating about not getting them. Can someone tell me which is a better tire?
Just a pair? I think a lot of guys here will warn about running mismatched tires, but to each their own. To answer your question, I have no experience with Cooper tires but I've run two sets of BFG A/T's and only have good things to say. You won't be disappointed.

You may want to do some searching about just adding in the pair of tires. I'm sure you'd be ok if you kept the pair matched on the F or R, but likely don't want to cross rotate and mix them. I think it really depends on the actual diameter of the worn vs new tires.

Tires are soooo subjective, I think you'll be totally fine with the BFGs. I'm sure they wanted to sell you on the ST Maxx, when I went to buy tires a few months ago those were one of the highest priced ones. The Falkens I bought are one of the lowest priced 33" tire Ive ever seen AND are name-brand, quite happy with them.

I bought mine for $650 on amazon. No problems with balance or wear. I rotate every 4 months.

Depends where you get the used tires. My friends own a salvage yard and they routinely have and sell good used tires. They rarely have tires in the sizes I'd want(I by new, but would by used from them if they ever had anything that fit the bill for me), but if you can find a good small family owned salvage yard you can find good tires.

I got my Cooper Discoverer RTX tires from Tire Kingdom for like $150 each after discounts (285 75 16). It's worth checking out.

I'd rather buy new tires on credit than use old or used tires.

Good choice going for new tires! Both tires are high quality and would suit your Cruiser well. The BFGs you bought will work and should last about 50k miles as long as you maintain them and don't thrash them down rocky trails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom