1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Head Gasket

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by dblugly, Aug 18, 2006.

1. dblugly

dblugly

Can a "Shade tree mechanic" replace the head gasket, or is this best left up to a shop? Is it as simple as pulling the head replacing the gasket and replace the head? I know I will have to torque the head and replace a few other gaskets, but what about valves, Etc..

2. nickw

nickw

Do you know him and trust him.
    Changing a head gasket is pretty easy.
    Just make sure he knows simple things like tourqing the head from the center out, and not going straight to 80ft/lbs (or what ever it is). To do it in stages, 20- 40 - 60 -80 etc....

Desicion is yours, but you if get a bad feeling I would go elsewhere.

Cheers,
    Nick

3. dblugly

dblugly

I was referring to myself as the shade tree mechanic, all of my wrenching has been on air cooled vw's.

4. nickw

nickw

I have never changed the HG on a diesel (have on a gasser), and light_duty and I pulled the head off his 2LT. To be honest I think you could do it. If you have wrenched before I would go for it. If you get stuck or have questions you could post pics.

You can also download a FSM manual from Birfield.com for the 3B.

But take my advise for whats is worth. I have never done the whole job on a diesel, but I would have no problems doing one myself. So if you think you can do it, I would think you could. Just have to remember the cruiser has water cooling. :)

BTW: I am assumig you are changing the HG because its leaking. In fact, why you are in there you might want to replace precups and injectors. How many km's on the unit? Also, if there is a HG leak, did the coolant and oil mix? Are you getting any white smoke etc...?

Cheers,
    Nick

5. light_duty

light_duty

dblugly,

for sure you can do it. as Nick said I did the head and a bunch of other stuff on my 2L-TE and it's running great 2000 km later. My previous experience is like yours - all air-cooled VWs. No diesel stuff at all. If you've got a FSM for torque specs and torquing patterns, you're golden.

Plus the people on this board are great, and will always help in a pinch.

Robin

6. dblugly

dblugly

I do have a manual, the reason for replacing the head gasket is I have an oil leak coming from the front of the block, right behind the oil pump cover, I have already replaced the push rod cover gasket, no help with the leak. The engine has just under 100k, I don't know if any other maintenance will be needed while I'm in there. Who knows maybe I will get lucky and it will be the oil pump gasket, I doubt it though:crybaby:

No smoke, starts right up, runs great, just leaving a trail everwhere I park it.

7. crushers

crushers post ho SILVER Star

i highly doubt you will have any issues with the head itself, the leak is a common problem of the "B" series engines...

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">