HDJ81: No power to radio, clock, cigarette lighter, dome lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've checked all the fuses, relays and fusible links. The door switches still work as my alarm still works properly. Might this be a ground problem? Which ground are they all connected to?

Last edited:
test for power at the cigarette lighter with a test light. since you will be grounding it externally, it should power up if it just had a bad ground. I would also check for power after the fuse, problem may be at the box

I had this when I picked up my new LC from the docks, it was a blown fuse in the underhood fuse box, controlled all those things.

I thought I checked all those.

Did you find your issue?

Barrel looking circuit breaker in the fuse panel? Reset with a pin pushed into the little hole until you hear it click.

Did you find your issue?
No time yet this week. Perhaps on the weekend.

Barrel looking circuit breaker in the fuse panel? Reset with a pin pushed into the little hole until you hear it click.
The fuse panel only has fuses. Not sure what you're referring to.

Fuse box.JPG

You looked in the engine bay fuse box right? Not just the one in the dash.

There's a fuse in the engine bay that protects the circuit all of the items you mentioned are on.

I checked the no. 2 relay box under the hood. But I'll check it again tomorrow. Just celebrating the Jets' win!

The CB's if you have them may be under the dash then?
Sorry I'm a 60 owner and they have 2 at the front dash fuse panel and a few under the dash.

I don't think there are any circuit breakers on the 80's.

The radio uses the dome fuse 10A for memory constant power and the cig fuse 15A for the ignition on.

The cig lighter uses the cig fuse 15A (believe it or not)

The clock runs off the dome fuse 10A for memory constant on and the tail fuse 15A for ignition on.
That circuit is interesting because it uses the cig lighter circuit to dim the clock light and activate the light reminder relay.

So from what I can gather its should all be down to the cig fuse or the wire between the fuse and the ignition.

Does the light reminder still work?

Do you have voltage on either side of the cig fuse?

The only thing up stream of the ignition is the main 50A fuse and the main fusible link but if that was blown you'd be having a whole lot more other problems...
All the earths are in discrete locations.

All fuses under the hood, and in the cabin are good. I have yet to check all the grounds in the cabin. One thing I just remembered: this summer my stereo was cutting out and losing power occasionally. It only seemed to happen when towing on the highway. I thought perhaps the stereo itself was overheating and shutting off due to thermal protection circuitry. Even though it didn't feel too warm. Then several weeks later I noticed the dome lights, stereo, cig lighter and clock all dead. Perhaps related in some way?

Old 1990 HDJ81
Ran a piggyback fuse from the 10amp in engine bay to cig lighter wire in dash and this worked quite well.
Clock and radio kept current without issue and dome light worked.

All fuses checked out OK this was the first attempt and never had a need to change.

On the other hand headlights were an issue till I wired in a grounded switch to the relay under the hood. Figured this out because headlights would turn on when merely using the end of a test light...produced just enough ground to trigger headlights.

Nothing like futzing with 24 year old wiring!

Change the cig fuse with one in the panel just to be sure then give the harness between the fuse panel in the dash to the ignition barrel a good wiggle to see if it affects things.

It sound like a dodgey fuse that acts normal until it gets load or a high resistance contact at the barrel or a termination or dodgey wire insulation shorting to ground.

Agreed, even if the cigarette fuse LOOKS fine, try swapping with another. Your symptoms match what I had when I picked up my truck from Vancouver, and the fuse fixed me up. Must have blown when they boosted the truck when unloading the container.

I will try a new fuse. The way I tested was to probe both sides of each and every fuse with a DMM. 12 volts on both sides indicates a good fuse.

I will try a new fuse. The way I tested was to probe both sides of each and every fuse with a DMM. 12 volts on both sides indicates a good fuse.
Sometimes it does but not always. It won't pick up high resistance contact which is what you problem sounds like.

Hi guys, did you ever fix this issue? I was driving home yesterday and all of a sudden my radio and clock went out? I will be checking my fuses tomorrow. I’m kind of a newbie when it come to working on the cruiser so go easy on me. Thanks😇

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom