HDJ81 boost and power issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm reaching out for Tuning advice!! Something is Sapping the power in the 92 HDJ81, 1HDT
After an engine compartment strip down and cleanup, Installed the new parts:

GTurbo Grunter Extreme 2
3" Exhaust
Timing belt(all new belts and hoses)
rebuilt injectors & timed Injector pump,
Modified Anerod Pin last year-good
Boost Compensator dialed to 18 PSI
Checked Valve clearances- all good
Intercooler installed, but bypassed with stock crosstube till I figure this all out.
Also a new viscous clutch on the fan(someone mentioned it could have an affect?!)

The throttle response, in park, is dialed in to decent. Not as snappy as I like, but has very smooth ramp up.

Here is where I may have messed up: I took the WasteGate actuator off the Gturbo for paint(Okinawa rusts anything not painted). I reassembled and there was still preload pressure on the actuator.

The engine has no balls. turbo doesn't ramp up till @ 2000rpm. - it was at 1200(i think). I prefer lower end, as my foot is fuel conscious.

I saw a pic here that showed a wastegate actuator arm jammed against the hard heater line that runs between the turbo assy and the block.
Also read that I can hook up a air pump to the wastegate actuator line- to see where it activates.

I'm a newb- But is it unrealistic for the turbo to start ramp up at 1200 rpm- and still average 18psi (with an intercooler)?

Anyone's help is greatly appreciated.

I also ripped out the failing ABS system and have lots of other goodies- but only relevant stuff was listed for now.

Tag me if you post in the diesel section.

I'm also on Okinawa with and HDJ81 so I'd be very curious what you figure out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom