HDJ100 swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yep, but as 1LoudLX said, behind the 1st row, warm air is only provided on the feet level... nobody on the 2nd or 3rd row is agree to use the AC from the roof when temperature is around 0°C or even worst -15°C
They don't want to understand why it's usefull :hillbilly:

After a while, this condensation turns into ice.
Let's say it's not something expected in this kind of vehicle

You don't need the rear air-conditioning running. Just the front as that dehumidifies all the air entering the vehicle.
Heater on full, AC button in and you have very dry air entering the vehicle which dries out condensation and stops windows fogging up.

You will still have problems with wet people getting into the vechicle, but they do dry out faster this way.

You don't need the rear air-conditioning running. Just the front.../...
Looks like it was not enough in my case... for this winter it's gonna be worth as the AC is leaking since end of September and close to be empty now.

Maybe my AC is not as powerfull as it should, since I baught it.
Weirdly I never had think about this option, even if I ever have thaught my previous HJ61 had a better AC unit :idea:

Well this morning we ran into head light issue, we looked and try a few things but nothing worked. After souper i came back and check the EWD, tracking down continuouty between connector and i soon realize that i had the swap the harness in the dash pad, or the instrument harness. I beleive the main reason is that the HDJ did not have day light, but the UZJ did. NOW i do have current on all light but i may have to rewire the plugs at the headlight since the HDJ has height adustable lights, yep there is a 5 position switch to have the head light point higher or lower....cheeze those must be expensive. Obviously i do not have them since the PO rolled the truck.

SO i had to pull the dash again, swap this harness and get the dash all back, i'm really getting good at this. The dash is almost complete. I also swap the low / high rear heater switch in the center console to keep the UZJ face, but now the light are always on, so i beleive i'll need to swap the controler in the back.

I should be close to done with inside tomorrow and start tackle what is left to be done outside. Unfortunately with the past 2-3 days of searching for electrical issue i'm not going to have this on the road for christmas..

NOTE: i check the EWD of the rear AC, and only 1 or 2 wires goes through the instrument harness or dash pad harness, so it should eventually be easy to get it going, i even got 2 wires under the dash side to side to feed the rear AC and JBL amplifier. Right now i won't even run with AC, until i get the electrical side of dual AC going and consequently buy the necessary piping for it.

After yesterday set back, today a good day of work, The inside is about done, front seats and doors are missing thats it, i'm waiting we get it off the lift to get those installed, will be easier. I lost a good hour trying to figure how to fit the center console rear heater control, even tho the back of the center console in the uzj does have the provision for a climate controle the one i had from the HDJ does fit the hole, but the inside of the console didn't seem to be for the UZJ control. So i had to grinde some plastic to have it fit, but why? I couldn't find the HDJ console any where, must have been trached, other wise i would have swap the inside. Anyhow, seem ok now.

I finished installing the rear left-right dual ac harness, all diff have oil, tranny was filled up but is still missing some. We had forgotten to install a oil pan sound cover, yep a sound cover for the oil pan, the same type covering the vave cover and fuel pump. We must have cracked it at 3 places trying to fit that between the pan and diff but it is bolted in place and holding.

The front fenders are in place, i have a couple of connectors totally smashed up from the hdj crash, i need to figure out those out.

No much to say except for a few pictures.
IMG_2276.jpg
IMG_2277.jpg
IMG_2278.jpg

more...
IMG_2279.jpg
IMG_2281.jpg

Being where we are at now, and from the numbers Philippe gave me last week, and the amout of work i did in the last week, i beleive we are close to 200 hours into this swap. I cannot imagine doing this in a single or even double garage, you need space to spread parts and not pile them somewhere, that will cause you to search. I beleive also it need to be done fairly quickly, couple of month, memory fade away quickly. I think uzj100 said that he was quote 25,000$ for this swap, i'd have to agree, about 23-25. Depending on the half cut condition and hourly rate. And if you want a good advise, always, always put the bolt back in the nut. There are very few loose nut, no reason for not putting back bolts, otherwise you are in for a crazy bolt seach.

Last edited:
DONE! one year later...

With more issue tho, this morning around 10 i thought we were done....when the windows wouldn't operate. UZJ has Auto up/down not the HDJ....so we had to swap doors harness, and to make things worse the RH window motor is 2 pin not five, so we had to swap that also....i fear i will have to do the same on all doors. Anyhow it is out and running! So with a complete donor nothing is a issue ;)

When you floor it, it sure leave a black trail :hillbilly:
IMG_2283.jpg
IMG_2284.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats! Let me know when you are dropping it by my place in NC. ;<)

Merry Christmas!

When you floor it, it sure leave a black trail :hillbilly:

It's great that you're done. But a healthy stock 1HD-FTE is smoke free all the time. Something isn't right there.

It's great that you're done. But a healthy stock 1HD-FTE is smoke free all the time. Something isn't right there.

It hasn't run for more then a year and a half. i will see how things evolves, i drove down the road 1km and turned around it never smoked at all, only a small puff when i floored it. My air filter is in a very very bad state, so bad i think i never seen any thing like that. I tried to cleaned it until a receive one. We must have started and stopped the truck 50 times without having it warmed up later to test stuff. My comments earlier were out of excitement.

Tomorrow it is getting aligned at 8:00 then i have to go pick up some stuff so i'll see how it goes. I need to find some cheap snow tires (law).

Congratulations!
That's a huge job... more than a simply engine swap

Éric c'est un excellent travail que tu as fais là.

BRAVO !

So this morning after the alignment i went for a drive, had some last minute shopping to do.
At first the tranny would shift high in rpm, i knew i was missing a liter of oil, so i added a liter and she now works fine. Drive train looks all good, i haven't seen any smoke, it pull nice, suprising for a diesel. The power band is totally different from the V8, but i would say they are about equal. On the diesel everything happens between 1500 and 3000rpm. Normal driving rpm is between 1500 and 2200-2300.

Cruiser control doesn't light up in the dash, not sure why, there are no logical reason why it shouldn't work. The gas pedal is sticky and not smooth, hoefully only grease will fix that. I tried the rear locker, the light flashes in the dash, thats it, it never went solid. But i was in the shop and didn't move the truck more then 6 feet. Maybe it needs to move alot more to engage.

Suspension; first question for the AHC users, when i drop the truck to low the light flash the truck comes down and then the light comes solid, so up to here all seems ok. Except that when i put it in drive and drive, the light flashes and goes back to N, is that normal? i would guess not. Also when on the "N" settings the truck seems to lean to the left side, and the rear right corner is bouncy as hell. My guess is that this corner may still have some air, causing the lean and the bouncy ride. Could be a busted accumulator, but that would put the AHC off, wouldn't it?

We are going to visit familly for the next 3-4 days, and decided to leave the HDJ in the shop until i can check the above and get a radio installed. i'm still looking for a kenwood 9960 or 7160. I don't know why here in Canada stores are asking 50-70% more $$ then what they are sold in USA.

Last edited:
I just wanted to say, Bonnes Fêtes and félicitations pour cette réussite. On le dira jamais assez qu'au Québec, on est débrouillard :)

Bravo, Éric, je te lève mon chapeau!

Congratulations on your new truck.

I belive that the AHC lifts up to normal when the car reaches a certain speed. Also it will drop from high to normal at the same speed.

Here in Iceland there are few modded 100 cruisers with 38" tires. On some of those rigs we have added switches to turn the AHC system off. Then you can set it to high, turn off the switch and it will stay in high.

They main reason for doing that is because these rigs are used in snowy offroad conditions, the frame and the underside off the rigs will get packed with snow and ice, the extra weight seems to bother the AHC system and cause it to shut down and go to low and stay there no matter what.

.../... the light flashes in the dash, thats it, it never went solid. But i was in the shop and didn't move the truck more then 6 feet. Maybe it needs to move alot more to engage.
Same thing for me... needs more rotation

Noyez Joël ! :D

I'm back from a couple of days with wife familly. And had time to look into a few things.

First i've bleed the AHC and the rear left side accumulator fluid was whitish. The rear right corner is abviously bouncy, something is up with the rear, but i may have air and old oil still in the system. Tomorrow i'll go to lexus to have them calibrate the truck, purge more oil and add some new. See what happens after that. I've figure that when in low as soon as you hit something like 5mph, the height goes back to N. If you are in High when you reach around 25 mph it goes to N. That is normal for the AHC.

Something was loose in the steering column, after inspection to bolts acting as pivot for up and down movement of the steering mostlikely got hit solid when the PO crashed the HDJ and the air bag deployed. I stole those 2 bolts from the UZJ colum and that fixed any loose i had in the left and right movement. I still have some in up and down, but the uzj colum does not have the telescopic mecanism, so i'll need to order the pivot bolt. But still with 2 replaced, great improvement. Otherwise i felt like i had some bad play the the steering.

The Viscous heater, i beleive it does not exist on the V8, it is a pump on the front of the engine that circulate bloc water to get heat in the cabine faster (great feature for cold weather), and when you press the Power heater button in the cabine the engine rpm raise to 1400rpm and engage the viscous magnetic clutch. Somehow Toyota decided it was a good idea to put the realy for the viscous pump magnetic clutch in the left side of the bumper. So i bought a relay and hooked it up. The viscous pump was now working but always was....power heater on or off. So i knew i didn't wire that correctly. After inspection 2 wires out of 4 going to the relay should have current, but only one had some. So i corrected my inital bad wiring and made a by pass to provide current to the wire that didn't have any, and now the viscous pump work along with the power heater button!

Cruiser control. The uzj cruiser control switch uses only 2 wires, the hdj uses 3, So i had to swap the cruiser stick on the steereing wheel, 5 minute job (when you know how to...).

Rear locker, i tried the locker on the street and had to do at least 30-40 feet but the light got solid, i couldn't feel if it was on,. the road are covered with snow here.. But i guess a solid light mean locker is on!

Gas pedal, i sprayed the pivot with grease, i small improvement but not perfect.

To do list;

- Fix O/D switch (probably forgot to plug the connector).
- Gas pedal, remove it, put it a part and grease it good. If it doesn't solve the problem will have to order a new one.
- Rear door window, i need to swap door harness, will try to use the 2 wires of the hdj harness to operate the 5 wires window motor of the uzj, hopefully i will not explode a window.
- Radio, i still do not have a radio, i've ordered a Kenwood DNX7160, hopefully when that is hooked up the antenna will operate (up/down)
- A/C; Order a pipe to at least have the single A/C operate. (i still have to decide if i set it up dual A/C, for that i need to have current to the rear AC climiate control.
- Moon roof, the hdj didn't have any therefore there weren't any plug to supply moon roof ecu with current. I've already installed a wire under the dash to feed that pilar wire, i need to decide were to feed this new wire with ignition current.
EDIT:
- disconnect EGR
- replace intercooler pipe protector (ordered)
- Replace air filter (ordered)
- Replace oil filter (ordered)
- replace hood cylinders.

Last edited:
.../...
Rear locker, i tried the locker on the street and had to do at least 30-40 feet but the light got solid, i couldn't feel if it was on,. the road are covered with snow here.. But i guess a solid light mean .../...
I did a test with mine this morning on the street without any success.
I did not use it often, but I'm pretty sure the CDL must be on first and then, you should have a wheel slipping enough. driving in straight line with both wheel at same speed won't work.
And yes the light should be solid

Uho, dealer cannot read ecu code, engine AND AHC..... Going to have to find a scanner from over sea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom