Have a question on power steering pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KDAWG97m3

SILVER Star
Threads
so I have truck in the shop to replace the crank seal and oil pump seal. I have a quote back for 700.00 and the reason for that is bc they want to pull the oil pump out and replace the power steering o-ring?? Something about the gear drives the the two pumps and there is an o ring on the back side leaking?? They say that is leaking too? I have searched and have never heard of such. Can you someone help me understand or point me to a diagram?

1996 LX450

U do not have to pull the oil pump to change the power steering o ring, if they are talking bout the one that is where the pump connects to the engine it is very easy. Took me 30 min two 10mm bolts and the pump pulls out, if it is leaking it's more then likely the back side which just means u rebuild it. Don't mess up or nick the gear on the pump or it will make a ticking sound. I would go somewhere else 700 bucks is crazy crazy

For the crank seal oil pump seal and o ring? 700 is too much?

try and get a second opinion on that, if your having your crank seal, oil pump cover gasket and power steering pump rebuild then yah maybe. Better be getting a new power steering pump with that quote but just the o ring to stop an oil leak around the power steering pump no way...

Go to the other current power steering thread: Driving with a broken power steering pump. I posted most of the FSM section on PS pump there.

Hell yea too much money doesn't take that long

Well remember they are also doing oil pump seal and crank. But I am going to grab the truck and do it myself. Time is just hard to come by

So I found out the 700 is for crank seal oil pump seal and this o ring, the large one on the pump, so the pump has to be removed... Not the small one, even though that would be replaced...

So is that still a hose job...I haven't authorized the work yet..

image.jpg

My bet is on the power steering pump needing a rebuild. To replace that O-ring is simple but I would be worried it would still leak. Pump rebuild is a lot harder, probably easier to just replace with new. I am not sure on price if that is reasonable. My problem with the local mechanics here is that they kept screwing things up. I just used the money I would have paid them, and bought tools and learned on my own with the help of the FSM and MUD folks. Heck, for 700 you could get new ps pump, oil pump gasket, front crank seal, a dewalt 20 cordless impact, harbor freight 3/4 inch torque wrench, and many other tools and do the job yourself and know how to fix it later if it breaks again. Might also consider ps lines while in there. This is what I did. For the time, I did all these leaks plus the distributor o-ring in a Saturday, however did a lot of reading and planning first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom