Harness building for those inclined (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have received many emails and PMs since I posted that I had to suspend harness building operations. It appears a number of you would like to take a crack at building one of these and would like information about where to get components. I have not had time to respond to all of you. I apologize for that. I have been working 60 to 75 hour weeks and I haven't even had a chance to read MUD. It is looking like things will calm down at work after Christmas, so I'm hoping I can get back into cranking out some more harnesses then.

I don't have time to do a build thread, but if you have some wiring experience, or just want to give it a go, you can get the parts to build one of these from the following sources:

Waytek Wire--You can buy the Bussmann RTMR relay panel, terminals, crimper, seals, plugs, mounting brackets, fuses and relays (I like the Song Chuan brand relays). The relays are 35 amp micro relays, and the fuses are called mini fuses. Don't order over the web, call them up and ask questions, they will help you get the stuff that works together. Some things are hard to find on their website.

Genuine Dealz--You can get wire, heatshrink and braided cable from them.

Spectro Wire and Cable--These guys sell wire at the best price I could find.

McMaster-Carr--You can buy uninsulated butt splice connectors, ring terminals, crimper and heat shrink from McMaster

That should get you all the parts you need. My old Merchandise Storefront thread

https://forum.ih8mud.com/merchandis...light-wire-harness-fj60-fj62.html#post5197952

has lots of pics and info along with the schematics in post #2. So, if you want to give it a go, build yourself a harness and post up a build thread. If I get time to start building these again, I'll start a new thread. I have a wait list still that I haven't even dented, and they will get first crack.

Still want yours, when available... There's still a list, yes?:D

Thanks for the info dude... It is only those of us that are impatient that want one of these and dont want the money going elsewhere when a MUD member offers something as good, if not superior, to the offerings from the big name companies. And my offer still stands, I am more than happy to make a "donation" for the schematic even though in the essence of the MUD brotherhood you have offered it up for free. You have spent countless hours developing this and supporting it in many aspects so therefore I believe the least I can do is buy you a good beer or two for doing such (oh and I recommend the ROGUE 12.12.12, damn that was a good, spicy brew!!)

I missed the boat last go round. If you make a new list, please add me to it.

Thanks.

Put me down as a tentative for an Ultimate harness. The deciding factor will be how much we get for our tax return (which I file as soon as I get my W-2, so late February-ish for us). I got the go-ahead from the :princess: to spend what's needed of it to catch up on issues I've been putting off for the truck, and a new harness is on my list :D

If I miss the boat again, i'll take on the challenge of building my own thanks to the parts list and schematics you've posted.

Please add me to the list for an ultimate fj60 harness with driver's side mounting and an additional fuze block.

For anyone that is on the list for Eric's next round you are in line for one of the very best built mud kits out there. I have to say between what I have purchased from him and from Kevin at wagon gear I think they are two of the most talented cruiser guys we have in our community. Thank you for making great gear and how ever long the wait it's worth it!

Eric,
Please precut and sell us components set to build. Win-win

Be cool if he could do that, but by the time he does he's already most of the way there for building a complete harness. As busy as he is, I wouldn't expect him to be able to invest the time to produce complete kits.

Sent from OBAMAPHONE!

FJ62 Headlight Harness Build

Hello all. This is my first post on here and I'm sure to have a few kinks to work out. I have attached my notes to Erik's schematic and will be building my own here over the next few weeks. I have been sidetracked with work, Christmas and passing a CA smog (I think I need a new EGR VSV). Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.
slcfj62 Schematic for FJ62 (2).jpg

I just went through building this and it was fairly straight forward. Here's some tips:

* 14G is fine for the lights as long as they are reasonable wattage. I'm running 55/85 if memory servers.

* Remember to correctly do your headlight connectors. H4's are not the same as sealed beam. So for example, your pinouts will be different at the headlight connector on the vehicale from that of your new H4's off the harness.
http://www.thirdgen.org/tech/images/connect.gif

* Jump and combine runs as necessary. For example I looped all of the "86" connections in serial. You can do it with your "85" connections to... You can kind of see this in the attachment. This is about half way through the build.

* It takes a TON of wired. Buy online somewhere. I think I used over 100'.

* Be sure to fuse close to the power source (battery or alternator).
IMG_0866.jpg

Bussman kits

me too. I'm a dumbass when it comes to wiring :bang:

Please put me on the list if the bussman/auxiliary kit goes back into production.

Ultimate harness - FJ60 front end on FJ62

Erik,

If you ever have time to make these harnesses again, I would be interested in the Ultimate Harness since I will eventually be swapping out the square head lights on my FJ62 with a set of Round Eyes. I have all of the parts needed for the conversion to a FJ60 front end, with the exception of your harness.

Thanks for the time you have put into the harnesses, and I know a lot of us look forward to these being available again.

Eric, is this gonna happen ? We know you're busy, but we love you ...

:D:D
:rolleyes:

Bussmann RTMR Build

Now that the holidays are over and my past project is closed out I have a bit more time on my hands. I plan to assemble my own and am wondering if there is enough interest out there to detail the fabrication here on Mud? I also purchased the majority of my electrical components from Waytek but as Eric stated in the first post call Waytek to order. They'll make sure you are getting the right parts. My first order was through their web page and I selected the wrong size relays. Hopefully I will use them on a future project. As for the wiring I have had good luck with wireandsupply.com you can order by the foot at a decent price.

Waiting

I will be waiting for my turn when it comes,love your work man.I'm just too lazy when it comes to electrical building stuff i have enough head aches when it comes to electrical problems at work.:D

Does anybody with the bussman panel have a pic of the bottom with all the connectors and series of wiring? Going to take a go at this and trying to rack my brain on how many connects plugs and seals will be necessary. Going with the five mini relays and 10 mini fuses. Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom