Hardtop Fitup Woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Started to assemble the hardtop today. The bolt flange on the bottom of the sides does not stay in line with the tub. It's the same on both sides. It is fine at the back but, going forward it moves inward ending up 3/8 too far in at the front.

This is not a mated set from the factory. 74 tub and a 71 top. First thing I'll try is removing the rubber welting under the flange that SOR provides which is 1/8" thick and probably wasn't there originally.

Anyone else run into something like this?

20230807_152119.jpg

20230807_152155.jpg

Well, my suspicions confirmed. Pulled the welting, or whatever it is, and it fits. Poor manufacturing tolerances, though. I have one hole on the left side and two on the right that are way off. All others were good.

20230807_174105.jpg

My 72 and 75 had the ribbon type welting when I pulled the tops. The 72 never had the top off until I took it off.

My 72 and 75 had the ribbon type welting when I pulled the tops. The 72 never had the top off until I took it off.
I don't know what year they started using that strip nor am I sure it is a 71 top. The guy I bought it from pulled it off his 71 right after he acquired it, but it could be an earlier top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom