Hard to shift from Park to Drive/Reverse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just purchased a 2020 GX460 with about 40K miles. When I shift from Park (with my foot on the brake) to Drive or Reverse, the gear shifter seems stiff. Is this normal. Shifting from Drive to Reverse, it seems easier, but it feels like there is more resistance shifting from Park to any other gear. I can't decide if this is normal and I just need to get used to it, or if there is an issue?

Any advice?

Lee
2020 GX460
2004 LX470 (sold)
2000 Landcruiser

I just purchased a 2020 GX460 with about 40K miles. When I shift from Park (with my foot on the brake) to Drive or Reverse, the gear shifter seems stiff. Is this normal. Shifting from Drive to Reverse, it seems easier, but it feels like there is more resistance shifting from Park to any other gear. I can't decide if this is normal and I just need to get used to it, or if there is an issue?

Any advice?

Lee
2020 GX460
2004 LX470 (sold)
2000 Landcruiser
Just reading your post, it does not sound normal.
If you want real confirmation, go to your local Lexus dealer and ask to start up one the GX's on the lot and do some shifting.

@r2m, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the nearest dealer is an hour and half away; but I may be able to find another one on a lot locally. Thanks.

Lee

Any advice?

Lee
2020 GX460
2004 LX470 (sold)
2000 Landcruiser

Are you doing parking on an incline/decline?

Just to close the loop on this, I have had the car for about a week now, and it the shifting has gotten better. I'm not really sure why, maybe it had been sitting for a while? Regardless, it is fine now. I'll continue to monitor it. Thanks.

When you put it in Park, there's a mechanical lock that keeps the transmission from turning. If you set it in Park on an incline and let off the brake before applying the parking brake, or the parking brake doesn't hold the vehicle, then the car's weight will settle on the parking pawl. That can make it hard to shift out of park.

You might check the parking brake to see if it holds the car when on a hill. If not, it needs to be adjusted.

BTW do not follow "GS Bob" on Youtube's method of adjusting the parking brakes. It will result in a brake that's too loose. Do it with the rotors on and bolted down. There's a small hole in the rotor that lines up with a hole in the hub and you can use a screwdriver through the holes to turn the star wheel.

Very likely it is the sticky Park Neutral Safety switch. You can spray WD-40 or liquid wrench and cycle it multiple time and it will get better. This switch starts to act up if there is issue with the switch and the car has been sitting for a long time, especially in winter. Permanent fix is to replace the switch.

Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom