HAM Radio Install In Tuffy Console (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I am going to be installing my Kenwood TM-941A tri-bander into my Tuffy 9 1/2" console. I'd like to get some feedback on the best way to go about doing this since there isn't a whole lot of room to work within the radio compartment. In fact, I cannot see a way to install the radio at all given the limited room.

I have a remote adapter for the control head and I was thinking about making a face plate that would glue to the inside metal that is around the outside of the radio slot. I would take the factory tool kit out and mount the radio itself under the driver's seat so it would stay cool.

Any ideas about mounting the radio in a Tuffy console would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug
Olympia, WA

I'm not familiar with the Kenwood TM-941A. Is it too wide to slide in the slot? If it slides in you can mount it using spacers on the side and securing it with bolts from the outside of the console.

I like the idea on remotely mounting the head and putting the radio under the seat. That box will get hot.

Here is how I mounted my CB in the stereo compartment:
attachment.php

But I guess the part that I don't understand is how you were able to manipulate nuts and bolts on the inside of the compartment if it's not accessible... Does the radio compartment detatch somehow from the main body of the console?

Bolts came from the outside on the side. I measured very carefully, and drilled the holes to line up with the bracket holes on the side of the radio.

Like you have already noted, the HAM is going to get hot. This is a confined space and if you mount like I did there will be no air flow on the sides. I was not as concerned with a 5W CB running off a 2A fuse. A 50W HAM with a 15A fuse is another story. My FT-2800 has heat sinks on the outside and you can bet I have plenty of air space around the radio. Remote mount the face plate and you should be good.

Thanks Pappy! I think that I'll stick with my idea of putting the radio under the driver's seat and fashioning a plate onto which I'll mount the radio head. I don't really want to drill additional holes into truck so I'll mount the radio itself to a piece of wood industrial-velcro'd to the floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom