Haikili the 62 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This weekend I finally took the cruiser on a camping trip, it has been long over due but it finally happened. My girlfriend and I and a bunch of our friends went up the Yuba river to hangout and cool off for the day Saturday and then planned to head to Watson Peak up in Tahoe for a night of camping. The river was great to cool off in with it being so damn hot in the Sacramento area as of late. On our way up to Tahoe we were on Highway 20 and were turned around about 2 miles from the highway 80 on ramp due to a fatal accident on the road. The detour added almost 2 hours to the schedule but we made it up to Northstar for some dinner and then headed up the hill to setup camp.

My dad and I got the roof top tent on the cruiser pretty easily, I was wondering if it would be hard or not but it worked out pretty easily. I'm used to just setting it about chest height on my truck bed.

LR4A4834 by Zach Youngberg, on Flickr

It took a little bit but we finally found a good secluded spot to hop in the river and relax.

LR4A4847 by Zach Youngberg, on Flickr

Fast forward to the evening and the stars were beyond epic

LR4A4862 by Zach Youngberg, on Flickr

Here's a better photo showing the view over Tahoe at night

LR4A4868 by Zach Youngberg, on Flickr

Still psyched I finally took it camping, so here's another pic of the cruiser all setup

LR4A4886 by Zach Youngberg, on Flickr

Sweet morning light

LR4A4887 by Zach Youngberg, on Flickr

Can't beat that logo

LR4A4931 by Zach Youngberg, on Flickr

I don't have much to update on the cruiser at the moment, I started my senior year of college a little over a week ago and unfortunately don't have the space for the cruiser at the moment up here, and the engine has a bad case of the hiccups.

Some of the things I've done thus far include getting the gas tank patched due to the previous owner drilling some tie down points behind the back seat, and going all the way through to the tank. When I pulled the tie downs out, I had a gas leak and finally got around to getting it patched. Also, I replaced the fuel pressure regulator which fixed my hot start issue. The engine would crank a few times longer than it should, but a couple bolts and it was fixed.

With the cruiser staying at home while I'm at school, my dad now has a fun project for himself! We pulled the thermostat right before I left and I got the gaskets and bolts ordered to at least check off one potential culprit for the engine. I have a long list of things I need to do to the engine to just get it back up to date on maintenance along with solving the running issue, but thats all apart of the fun. I'm waiting for a free weekend to head home and give it the attention it needs. Once the engine issue is resolved, a front axle rebuild will be done.

Also, in the next month or so I'm going to be stock piling parts for the spring over!:bounce::banana::steer:
One of my friends who built a massive linked tacoma on 42's said he'd be able to do it for me in a few months so the accumulation of parts begins!

My dad sent me a few photos from pulling the thermostat and a repair manual he picked up on eBay, so here's a few pics!

IMG_1751 by Zach Youngberg, on Flickr

IMG_1750 by Zach Youngberg, on Flickr

IMG_1749 by Zach Youngberg, on Flickr

Just a reminder that you can install that thermostat upside down make sure you get all the gaskets and the proper orientation when you install.

Very nice looking truck. Jealous that you got to take it camping up at Tahoe... Unfortunately I had to miss our last couple camping trips for the year with my 60 due to "other" issues. Hoping to be able to start driving her again next week in which case I MAY try a quick camp trip before it gets too cold and nasty out (or the campgrounds close). Speaking off... where were you camping with that view of SLT?

If you are ever in Reno for the evening, check out and post up on the BattleBorn Cruiser of Northern NV forum in the clubhouses and we can all meet-up.

Oh and what is the story behind the name? Also, fellow (novice) shooter so curious what you are shooting?!

Very nice looking truck. Jealous that you got to take it camping up at Tahoe... Unfortunately I had to miss our last couple camping trips for the year with my 60 due to "other" issues. Hoping to be able to start driving her again next week in which case I MAY try a quick camp trip before it gets too cold and nasty out (or the campgrounds close). Speaking off... where were you camping with that view of SLT?

If you are ever in Reno for the evening, check out and post up on the BattleBorn Cruiser of Northern NV forum in the clubhouses and we can all meet-up.

Oh and what is the story behind the name? Also, fellow (novice) shooter so curious what you are shooting?!

Thanks for the kind words! The area I was camping with the view of Tahoe was Watson Peak. Its right next to Northstar and a fun place to go. Theres an actual campground below at a little lake, but this spot lets you overlook Tahoe which is hard to beat.

I'm actually in the BBCNN club! I have class the same time as meetings on Thursday (currently in class) I only went to a couple meetings before summer and then moved home but I'm back in Reno now!

The name came from the first night that I got my cruiser, I drove it home from Chico and there was a big thunder and lightning storm so I took the cruiser out to shoot some photos which turned out pretty awesome. So I went home and looked up some names associated with lighting and thunder and wound up with Haikili, the polynesian god of thunder.

Very beautiful shots. You got zee eye for photography.

Thanks for the kind words! The area I was camping with the view of Tahoe was Watson Peak. Its right next to Northstar and a fun place to go. Theres an actual campground below at a little lake, but this spot lets you overlook Tahoe which is hard to beat.

I'm actually in the BBCNN club! I have class the same time as meetings on Thursday (currently in class) I only went to a couple meetings before summer and then moved home but I'm back in Reno now!

The name came from the first night that I got my cruiser, I drove it home from Chico and there was a big thunder and lightning storm so I took the cruiser out to shoot some photos which turned out pretty awesome. So I went home and looked up some names associated with lighting and thunder and wound up with Haikili, the polynesian god of thunder.

Ah ok... well hopefully I will be to next months meeting. Well let me restate that, hopefully next month I will be driving again (Drs orders).
I will have to look for that campground near Watson Peak. Normally the wife and I camp on the west shore at William Kent campground. Its a couple miles from town but right off the road so a good mixture of being close enough that you can run in for coffee/breakfast/lunch/dinner if you want but get very little, if any, light pollution. Always on the hunt for new spots to take BeBe so if nothing else we may just head up that way for fun.

Yesterday my roommate @gneisscruiser our friend Brett and I met up with one of my buddies and his friends for a little trail run out at Gold Lakes in Northern California. Unfortunately we didn't have a ton of time to run the trail but we got through a small portion heading up towards Snake Lake and it was pretty fun! We had a total of 11 rigs I believe which included @gneisscruiser in his 80 and another guy in an 80, my tacoma and another taco, 4 Monteros (which are pretty damn cool!) two 4runners and an Exterra. It was interesting running with a group this big but I enjoyed it, its definitely interesting seeing how differently other people operate on a trail. Here's a few photos from the day!

This guy to a stab at this big rock slab on the Summit Lake trail on our way up to Snake Lake trail, he couldn't quite get up it but it was a solid attempt.

LR4A7426 by Zach Youngberg, on Flickr

@gneisscruiser was next up at the climb and didn't have a problem besides having to make a 24,000 point turn at the top to get lined up to go down the other face of it.

LR4A7433 by Zach Youngberg, on Flickr

LR4A7449 by Zach Youngberg, on Flickr

LR4A7452 by Zach Youngberg, on Flickr

Here's most of the group while we were hanging out watching cool stuff happen.

LR4A7439 by Zach Youngberg, on Flickr

This is the view of Gold Lake right after we made it up the switchbacks which is where we had to turn around due to time.

LR4A7468 by Zach Youngberg, on Flickr

Almost the whole group at the top.

LR4A7487 by Zach Youngberg, on Flickr

Finally, my trusty Taco on the way down and Bert's 80.

LR4A7493 by Zach Youngberg, on Flickr

LR4A7492 by Zach Youngberg, on Flickr

The cruiser is getting some much needed love this week while I'm home from school. I have all new belts coming for the 3FE from @beno and a new oem throttle position sensor to install which will hopefully fix the hiccup I've been getting. It's an aftermarket TPS on there now and I don't trust it at all. Also, I'm going to hopefully look into finding out where the leak is that caused water to get into the front of the car.

I've got a long list of things I need to do by the end of Christmas break as well to hopefully get this thing road worthy as a daily driver for me.

After all that is done, I'm leaning towards an Old Man Emu lift along with shackle reversal and some 35's. Who knows though!

Great looking shots and a really cool build. I'm envious of your surroundings as I'm in Dallas. Keep enjoying the rig!

Over thanksgiving break I got a few things done on Haikili. My dad ordered a new hood support holder and rubber bushing for it so I threw those on and then I got the new OEM throttle position sensor on and wow! It runs really well now. It had an off brand one on there originally that the previous owner put on and the engine had a really weird sputter when driving randomly. We adjusted the off brand one a few times and it would work but never lasted very long. Fast forward to putting the OEM one on and it runs really well. I feel like the throttle is much more progressive whereas the old one felt like there were three or four throttle positions and that was it.

I got the new belts as well but didn't have time to put them on over break so those will make there way onto the front of the engine this winter break.

Old vs. new

LR4A2489 by Zach Youngberg, on Flickr

LR4A2499 by Zach Youngberg, on Flickr

New TPS in it's new home

LR4A2503 by Zach Youngberg, on Flickr

SPLIT THE SHROUD!!!! While you are yanking everything apart to get the new belts on be sure that you do the fan shroud split mod. It will make things SOOOOOOO much easier when you have to do stuff to the front of the engine in the future.

SPLIT THE SHROUD!!!! While you are yanking everything apart to get the new belts on be sure that you do the fan shroud split mod. It will make things SOOOOOOO much easier when you have to do stuff to the front of the engine in the future.

I haven't heard of that mod before, I'll look into it. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom