H55F - urgent question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

I´m just about to start to rebuilt my H55F with nice shiny new parts...
Amongst other parts I ordered the springs 33371-20010 for the third/fourth and 33391-36010 for the fift speed synchros. Closer inspection showed that they are all the 33391-36010 version which is slightly longer and heavier than the 3/4 one. They came in different labelled satchets though.
The question is whether anybody has fitted the heavier springs to the 3/4 synchro ?
I always had to shift quite carefully into third, but while dismanteling the synchro parts of that hub everything looked really good here...so the heavier spring might actually improve shifting here.
I´m sort of keen to try it out but it woul be a nightmare if shifting would be worse than before.
I´m running Castrol VMX 80 GL3 oil.
Any information / experience very much appreciated here
Cheers Tilmann

Last edited:
Update,
after thinking myself into the way the synchro mechanism works I´ll go with the heavier / stronger springs as they will push the three keys just a tad harder into the groove in the sleeve and thus will push the synchro ring a tad stronger towards the cone on the gear while shifting. This should work out in a slightly improved shifting. The different lenght should not be a problem, when you look at the fift gear synchro hub (where the heavier springs are originated from) they seemed to be a little too long aswell. The shorter spring from 3/4 synchro hub would fit actually perfect. After seen this I was convinced that the heavier and longer spring would also work well in the 3/4 synchro hub.
We´ll see - has anybody tried this before ? One thought was also that the lighter spring might have been superseded with the heavier one for simplifiing production ...? I believe that the springs I got are japan aftermarket items.
Cheers Tilmann

Update,
Everything back together since last weekend. Happy to have a very silent gearbox now.
The above mentioned springs are working perfect, in fact I can´t feel much difference in shifting force at the lever, maybe a little more resistance during the synchronising. But I have also renewed the synchro ring itself, so the comparison between before and after is not only related to the springs.
So yeah - I think that it should be alright to use the stronger springs from the fift in the 3/4 synchro hub.

How long/how many miles did you put on the H55F before it required a rebuild?

Unfortunately I do not know how much miles or km my the 60 has covered. The history is uncertain...and here in NZ we have road user charges which are related to the mileage you are doing - it happens that a broken speedo cable is not repaired .....or that it was disconnected sometimes....My Speedo is reading 240.000 km but I doubt that this is true. I think that they require rebuild at around 400.000 km (250.000 miles) but this depends naturally very much to the way it was serviced and used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom