h55f stuck in gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gday guys!

I have a 1989 troopy and have just installed a 2nd hand gearbox from a very reliable source.

Installing when fine, but when i put the gear shift lever in, it seems as though the lever is in nuetral and will not move into any gears, just left and right... Meanwhile after starting the vehicle and taking of the clutch, it turns out it is actually stuck in gear, possibly 3rd.

When this gearbox was removed, it was in working order and shifting fine, since then we have moved its location and reinstalled it to new vehicle. I havent actually opened it only what was necesary to plug it in. So I can only think that something must have slipped out of place while moving about?

I have seen a previous post from another owner who had similair problem except that his was stuck in reverse. His solution was to stick a screw driver in through the top and try and move the forks around... this hasnt proven too helpful...

Anyone have any ideas as to what i may be missing or getting wrong??

Thanks in advance!

MArk

Gday guys!

I have a 1989 troopy and have just installed a 2nd hand gearbox from a very reliable source.

Installing when fine, but when i put the gear shift lever in, it seems as though the lever is in nuetral and will not move into any gears, just left and right... Meanwhile after starting the vehicle and taking of the clutch, it turns out it is actually stuck in gear, possibly 3rd.

When this gearbox was removed, it was in working order and shifting fine, since then we have moved its location and reinstalled it to new vehicle. I havent actually opened it only what was necesary to plug it in. So I can only think that something must have slipped out of place while moving about?

I have seen a previous post from another owner who had similair problem except that his was stuck in reverse. His solution was to stick a screw driver in through the top and try and move the forks around... this hasnt proven too helpful...

Anyone have any ideas as to what i may be missing or getting wrong??

Thanks in advance!

MArk

I had this problem but I was lucky enough to discover it before I installed it.
Its something on reverse gear that flips over when you move it around(on end ).

I took the top cover off to get at it,I dont know if you can get the top cover off while it is installed.

remove the back up light sender (top front of the tranny in front of the shifter tower).
put a screw driver down and push the reverse back
move shifter and all should be golden.

if the tranny is set on it's nose the reverse gear thing-a-bob will move ahead with out the shifter effectively locking the tranny.

Either that or someone took the shifter off and put the shifter back in without seating the shifter in the socket - maybe? It has to click into the plastic bushing.

the plastic bushing is suppose to stay on the shifter, not sit in the reciever in the tower.

if the tranny is set on it's nose the reverse gear thing-a-bob will move ahead with out the shifter effectively locking the tranny.

Exactly how I did mine. I though I was clever standing it up to save floor space:confused:

when i pull a tranny t/case out of the unit i have an old bell housing i stand the combo in. easier to work on the 2 peice case.
i always check these rev position when it is sitting level again just to be sure...

Awesome guys, Ill give it a shot this morning!

Seems its not so easy to get at that reverse light while its installed. Will go hit the tool shop to see if i can find some ingenious method... realllllllly dont want to drop that box again.

cheers again fellas.

install jack under cross member
leave tranny attached to engine and engien attached to frame
unbolt the cross member from frame
lower cross member and tranny engine combo
remove switch
fiddle
reinstall switch
jack up and reinstall cross member to frame
remove jack
done

PITA tight fit but can be done

As Wayne says. You might have to buy an appropriate sized spanner and bend it. I used a ring spanner and cut a slit in it so it would fit over the wire.
I cant remember why I used a ring spanner over an open ender,probably because the hex sits down slightly in a recess

the spanner cut fits better over the "nut" i actually use a spcket with a notch cut out for the wire...

I ended up cutting the end of a spanner to make it fit and managed to get it out without moving the box at all! Sadly, turned out that wasnt the problem.

So i Lowered the box and took the top off, and after a few minutes it all suddenly made sence how the shifter works. And it turns out that the reverse gear bar thing actually slid the other way, locking it into the 5th gear... so all i needed to do essentially was push the 5th gear thing back while it was all in place...

At least now i know the ins and outs of the bugger. And she is all good and working again!!! Man it feels good when you finally get a win!

Thanks again guys!

Mark

Seen a few with that problem generally once the donut in the shift tower has dissolved into the case and dropped down.

This will cause such a problem.

Even when the reverse has slipped I can get it with a screw driver through the shifter housing.

humm, i am trying to picture this in my minds eye...
you removed the back up light ending unit stuck a screw driver in to move the reverse shaft back and that wasn't the problem...correct?

but 5th gear was locked in... correct?

i am trying to picture how this could happen.

So i Lowered the box and took the top off, and after a few minutes it all suddenly made sence how the shifter works. And it turns out that the reverse gear bar thing actually slid the other way, locking it into the 5th gear... so all i needed to do essentially was push the 5th gear thing back while it was all in place...
Mark

Sorry about the late reply, have been busy enjoying the 4x4 in the hills.

I found that it was the opposite to what was talked about first. The bar that goes into the reverse light bit was all the way back so that it was towards the 5th gear (opposite to reverse). We knocked her about a bit getting it in, so im guessing that must have done it. But she is running good now.

Cheers guys.

And here are some pics to visualize what is going on inside the case cover when the shifter has locked in place because the tranny was set on it's nose. Gravity drops the reverse idler gear, which causes the reverse shift fork to jump in reverse... locking the shifting mechanism. The reverse shift fork can also be moved by hand if the case cover is off. Just push it all the way in until it snaps in place.

correct.jpg

wrong way.jpg

Old thread I know but I had the same problem occur a couple of years ago when we stood my gearbox on its nose to install a PTO drive gear into the transfer case :crybaby:

this is what i was talking about.
to "fix" this problem you pull the reverse gear light sender and put a screw driver between the shifter and the front part of the hole.
gently pry back and the reverse fork will now pop back into place freeing up the tranny, sometimes you need to gently rotate the input shaft back and forth.
way easier than popping the top off.
most times this results when having the tranny sitting on it's nose, shipping, working on 5th, rebuilding the t/case while still attached to the tranny out of the vehicle, etc.
first time it happened to me i thought i had bought a dud tranny, 5 mins later and the gears worked fine. long 5 mins though.
And here are some pics to visualize what is going on inside the case cover when the shifter has locked in place because the tranny was set on it's nose. Gravity drops the reverse idler gear, which causes the reverse shift fork to jump in reverse... locking the shifting mechanism. The reverse shift fork can also be moved by hand if the case cover is off. Just push it all the way in until it snaps in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom