H55f install problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm having a problem sliding a brand new H55f onto the back of an 86 FJ60 2F ("3F" bellhousing)... I've done this before without drama and I don't know what could be the hang-up, so to speak.

I have 2 long bolts of the right size/thread through the tranny and into the bellhousing at top left and bottom right corners to help align. The input shaft is through the throwout bearing and is engaged with the clutch splines (the output flanges turn when I turn the flywheel).

I get stopped when I am about 1.5" away from fully seated. I even tried to pull the tranny home with 2 bolts/nuts that are longer than the ones that belong there - tightening them to pull the tranny forward. Those seem to get to the point where the tranny will not go any farther forward - as if there is an obstruction.

Tomorrow I am going to pull the tranny back out to see if I can see an obstruction. Maybe the clutch plate, disc, pilot bearing are out of alignment although I would have thought the taper at the front of the input shaft would push them into alignment. Maybe the pressure of the clutch holds them together too tightly for that?

Thoughts?

Mark

Last edited:
First thought would be the the input shaft and the pilot bearing not mating.

Mine was very tight the first time which I believe led to the bearing's short life. The second time I used a pilot bushing and pre-tested the fit.

At 1 1/2" away you are not into the clutch disc yet. Either the disc it off center or the splines didn't line up well enough. Just pushing the trans against the clutch disc will be enough friction to turn the trans so that part of your logic is flawed. The clutch would not hold the power of the engine if all it took to move the disc sideways was a little push from the taper on the input shaft.

Don't use bolts to pull the trans in unless you wanna buy a new trans case once you break the mounting ears off. 'Specially if you are that far from being installed. ;)

Or maybe that's just the wrong transmission for yer truck. Just sent it to me for disposal. Glad I could help. ;p

Nick

Last edited:
I'm with Nick, I think the splines are off.

I installed my transmission while it was in gear so I could rotate the output to line up the input splines.

Did you use an alignment tool when installing the clutch?

If it is close you could always engage the clutch then try wiggling the tranny a bit .

I did use an alignment tool

I agree that the disc wouldnt rotate per se but I was hoping it would nudge enough to push past. I guess if it is 100% misaligned it wouldnt be able to nudge at all.

I dont want to break a tranny ear!

I will try engaging the clutch to release the disc before i pull the thing back off to have a look.

It sounds like you are not totally square with the pilot bearing.

If you didn't test fit the pilot to the nose of the tranny input, that alone could be your problem. If there's a bit of a burr, that's enough to prevent engagement.

When you do pull the tranny back out, try a bit of emorycloth polishing of the input shaft. You want a smooth sliding fit with no binding. When things are good, the whole assembly slides together with little force. You will break the tranny case or the bell housing if you try to jam it together with bolts.

Pilot bearing. This also happened to me.

Take some 3M scotch brite or steel wool or polishing cloth and have at the tip of the tranny input shaft. I'll take a bit more polishing than expected.

And don't get excited while doing it. You only need one Turkey baster on Thanksgiving!..:grinpimp::grinpimp:

And don't get excited while doing it. You only need one Turkey baster on Thanksgiving!..:grinpimp::grinpimp:

Ok... that is just not right... funny, but not right.

I had a similar problem when I was putting an engine in my old 4Runner. There were 2 dowel pins in the same hole (one on trans, one on engine) that I couldn't see when I was behind the trans trying to wiggle it into place. I fought and fought. Couldn't get it. Then has someone else come over and move the trans around while I looked and bam. Saw it immediately. So moral of the story is, get someone else to move the trans around and see if you can see something catching or blocking it from sliding in.

So the flywheel is in and the new fasteners are torqued. Before installing the pilot bearing, I always make sure that it is a slip-fit on the end of the transmission input shaft so as to avoid any binding while installing the transmission into the clutch and flywheel housing. I just use a piece of emery cloth and lightly sand down the input shaft.
After the pilot bearing is a slip fit on the input shaft, it is then installed into the end of the crank shaft. After it is seated, I put a dab of anti-seize in the center of the pilot bearing where the input shaft will be touching it.

From the FAQ
ip02.jpg
ip03.jpg
ip04.jpg

Any chance you got the H55 from a 3b with the longer input shaft

Retract that the bell housing would be different bolt pattern for a 3B trans IIR

3B input shaft on an H55 would not allow a 1.5" difference in mating surface distances.

It would be far greater as the splines on the input shaft would not pass through the clutch disc.

:meh:

It is a new from Toyota H55f and I've compared the input shaft with the "old" H55 I had been using... they are the same.
I neglected to test fit the pilot on the shaft - I have done that on previous installs but forgot to do it here. Failing another attempt when engaging the clutch I will pull the tranny out and do as suggested - including RE aligning the clutch plate with the centering tool.

It's not the pilot bearing, because the input shaft only slides into the pilot 3/8"-1/2".
So it's got to be the splines. Make sure the trans is in gear. Have somebody push on the clutch pedal while you try to slide the trans in place. Should go.

DO NOT USE BOKTS TO SUCK THE TRANS UP YO THE BELL HOUSING!!!!!!!

That's a great way to either damage your trans, clutch disc it pilot. Do not force It, it'll go on it's own when everything is lined up correctly.

Hth

Georg

Got it done. It was the alignment. I pulled out the tranny, depressed the clutch pedal and used the alignment tool to get it all in alignment. It went in with a little struggle but it went in.
Thanks all... I wish I had just stepped back and started fresh in the first place rather than decidingit was something majorly wrong...

:clap:

Is the "old" 55 you've been useing for sale by chance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom