H55F 5 Speed Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Know any tricks for cleaning up caked on 20 year old grease off the t-case? I'm on my 3rd can of GUNK and I am jonesing for a power washer. :)

Mark

Oil Eater. I love the stuff, got some at Kragen, and occasionally Costco will carry a industrial size jug. Hope it helps.

A stiff wire brush and some 409 (it cuts the grease).

Dynosoar:zilla:

I got'em cleaned up!

Clean.jpg

Mystery T-Case Part

Mystery Part: :confused:

T Case Front Output Oil Seal and Bearing

In doing my T-Case rebuild I found there is a spacer that is between the oil seal and the bearing that is not in my FSM. Any Idea what it is?

Frontoil.jpg

Mystery Part: :confused:

T Case Front Output Oil Seal and Bearing

In doing my T-Case rebuild I found there is a spacer that is between the oil seal and the bearing that is not in my FSM. Any Idea what it is?

Frontoil.jpg
possibly oil slinger,some dana diffs. that i have worked on had some oil slingers behind the seal.i like that idea mark,me and kevin could come over and help and also work on our rig.i'm available only on sunday and monday for the meantime.just finished working on my wifes rig (95 mitsu montero sr)thats another story.i need some time for my rig as well...really.i'll pm kevin (nocalfj60)about coming over.

x2 oil slinger.

Dynosoar:zilla:

That's the slinger, and it is in the FSM.

Do not forget to put the oil cup in the back of the transfercase..

Tonights Progress

Replacing the oil seals and using PCV pipe to seat them

CIMG1974.jpg

QUESTION: Are there two oil gaskets for the font output companion flange? When I took the front companion flange off the t-case there was a bunch of blue liquid gasket material near the bearing. It looked like an easy attempt to stop a leak. But there was only the black oil seal on the t-case nose.

CIMG1978.jpg

Then when I went to replace all the gaskets, there was this brass and rubber one left over.

CIMG1977.jpg

I looked at my FSM and there appears to be two oil seals. On in the nose of the t-case and one on the flange. So if this does in fact go on the the flange, which way does it go on?

This way

CIMG1975.jpg

Or this way

CIMG1976.jpg

Thanks

Mark

The parts diagram from the microfiche only shows one seal (position 36143A). I'm pretty sure there is not a seal pressed onto the companion flange, but only one seal in the transfer case housing. When I look at the drawing in the manual, I don't see a seal for the rear companion flange...

I think the blue sealant was silicone sealant that someone put on the splines of the companion flange to seal them. The concern is that oil will leak between the mating splines. I'm not sure if it's needed or not.

For installing the seals with the large rubber lips I use the old seal as a driver. The lip fits inside the "U" on the back of the seal. I then use a small piece of bar stock across the front of the old seal and a hammer.
transfer case.jpg

Thanks for the help.. if you check the parts breakdown on the FSM it is there.. I'll try to scan the page in the morning.

I do not see it on the image you posted though.

:beer:

Mark

OilSeal.jpg

Look at the front output flange it has an oil seal between the flange and the shaft in the bottom left. Then if you look at the dashed line for the front case then there is the other one. :confused:

Mark

OilSeal.jpg

Look at the front output flange it has an oil seal between the flange and the shaft in the bottom left. Then if you look at the dashed line for the front case then there is the other one. :confused:

Mark

Mark, I believe that the reason you see the seal twice in the pic you posted is precisely because the diagram does NOT have all the components lined up directly, or with dashed connections, like the fiche picture does.

There is only one seal.

And the rebuild kit almost always has leftover parts.

Don't worry.

Mark:

Thanks

Here are some more photos of the progress..

CIMG1979.jpg

CIMG1980.jpg

CIMG1984.jpg

I had to use a press to get these bearings off... sorry no photos of that.

CIMG1985.jpg

All back togather

CIMG1986.jpg

It should be back the '60 in today !!

Later

Mark

There was only one seal for my 5/85 t'case.

Frequently there are seals and gaskets left over, there were in my t'case rebuild.

The blue RTV on the output shaft (under the lock nut and washer) is recommended by some books to stop any possible leaks that might make it past the splines. I used the GREY permatex for mine, as recommend by Marlin Crawler. Grey stuff is supposed to be for high-vibration applications.

S.

Thanks for the tip. Norcalfj60 came buy my place and the tranny is back in. I just have to hook up the shifters and a test drive will be in order.

Thanks Kevin !!! I could not have put that thing in by myself a second person really helps !!!!

Mark

updates?

:hmm:any updates mark?test drive it yet? john

I test drove it last night and I am very happy with it. I am just waiting for a new shifter to finish things up.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom