H55 Conversion or Extreme A440F from Wholesale Automatics??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for your Pros and Cons for both. I want to be as efficient timewise as I can, plus I'm not a welder or fab expert. I've seen plenty of advocates for the 5-speed but have not seen much on the Extreme A440F. Cost-wise the new auto looks to be a little more expensive...? Oh - I have 4.88 gears too.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

I would love an h55 in my fj62, but I'd also like an extreme VB and mac gear...as i age, I find more value in a good auto

RocDoc has the extreme valve body. You can message him or maybe he can comment if he sees this. It shifted well when I saw it at Surf N Turf years ago.

The whole truck feels so much better with a manual transmission. With the stock transmission it feels sluggish, with the manual it feels lively. The H55f is suited to the motor much better. Minimal fabrication needed, just a bunch of parts.

But either way you'll be happy, just decide if you would enjoy shifting gears or not shifting gears. Cost wise, both will be expensive.

I have the Extreme VB in my current tranny - I love the 3rd gear converter lock up. An internal clunk has developed since I put the new VB in. I assumed it was the splines on the TC input shaft so bought the McNamara gear and rebuilt the TC last winter. Surprise surprise - the splines looked perfect. I put the new gear on anyway since I was in there and buttoned everything up, clunk is still there going either direction between F and R. I can hear it in the tranny area when underneath and having my son shift it back and forth. There must be some wear in the output gear set. The rear differential backlash is fine so I don't believe that is the source.

All of that history leads me to the tranny and the current request for feedback. Doing the 5 speed would be cool, but it's a bigger job. I have 4.88 gears so it sounds like I'd be too low with the H55. I'm fine with the auto and it will bolt right in. The Extreme trans comes with their upgraded (more efficient) torque converter, valve body and all new internals. So I'm really curious if anyone has direct experience with that unit. If the total costs are similar and the reports on the Extreme trans are good, I'd probably go that route.

Thanks again guys...

I've had the extreme valve body for 10? years. Not a cheap upgrade, but was definitely worth it in my view. I'm sure the full transmission would be even better, but even more expensive too.

My 62 is in rough shape cosmetically from years of winter roads and being beaten on trails, so it's pretty much demoted to farm mule and hunting duty currently. I have a rust free California truck that I'm going to build up with the mechanicals out of it, but with a H55F behind the 2FE instead of the auto.

I think preference for auto vs stick and willingness to put in the extra effort (or pay) involved in swapping over all the manual bits are a personal choice. The valve body was an easy upgrade for a novice wrencher (like I was at the time), the manual is more appealing now that I've got more experience and tools available and I'm not relying on the 62 day to day.

I see in your signature that you've already got the VB, so you know the benefit of that already. Like you say, the auto might go better with the 4.88 gears since it has the deeper overdrive. I'm looking forward to less OD with the H55F so stock gears will play nicer with slightly oversized tires.

I agree with your assumption the 4:88's might be a poor fit with the H55. I run 32's and stock 4:10 gears, and she cruises at about 70mph@2550rpm. I'd think with the 4:88's you'd be running pretty high rpm at highway speed, not to mention first gear would be super low. Would be great wheeling however.

Now a 6 speed H55 would be perfect...

That would be an h66, no?

Driving and auto or manual depends on the person. My wife and I both grew up driving manual transmissions. But in Washington DC traffic with 2 small kids my wife prefers an Auto. Myself I do not care.

Buying the H55 transmission is one cost, getting everything needed for a full conversion is another cost. If time and cost is a factor the go for the Auto.

35" or higher is better for those gears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom