H55 and 1HD-T? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Call me crazy, but today I had the idea of a 1DH-T and H55.
There seem to be quite a few rusted BJ60 out there, so I could get a H55 pretty easy.

I am wondering how much work it would be to mate a 1HD-T to a H55?
How much did toyota change it between generations?
Would they line up minus the input shaft? IE. How about the transfer case side.

Only reason I thought of this is because the number of rusted of BJ60 out there.
I could get pretty much everything I would need to do a swap (tranny, pedal, hydraulics, etc...)

Plus the gear ratio's of the H55 are a little bit better than the manual that the 1HD-T came with.
1st is a hair lower and 5th is bit higher.
2nd, 3rd and 4th are almost the same.

Just a random idea.
I know this sounds crazy. But I thought I would ask.
Thoughts?

This would probably be a good way to add a 5-speed to a BJ7x

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
BTW: I know this sounds like a crazy idea.
You will probably ask why don't I just keep my auto.
Answer: Because I like manual transmissions.
I know in the offroad they are a little more work, but that is okay with me.

If this is going to be alot of work I will not bother.
If it will bolt up, and it will just be fab work for mounts, than I would be alot more interested.

Plus its just fun to grill you guys. :)

Last edited:
You can do it... Search the Forum. I wanted to do this too. I think you need an HZ bellhousing, clutch, and pressure plate. But rick_d answered my question

nick-

easy conversion, done at least 4x in north america

you need:
HZJ H55 style bellhousing (1990-1999 production, ENS part)
HDJ flywheel (not cheap, few used, and heavy to ship)
HDJ pressure plate (north american part)
Isuzu NPR clutch disk (ref: beanz part number)
HZJ H55 input shaft (see internal diff H55 posts)- you will need a late model H55 as donor

or use a HZJ clutch disk,pp, and flywheel. HZJ is 275mm across, HDJ is 300mm across.

rick_d said:
nick-

easy conversion, done at least 4x in north america

you need:
HZJ H55 style bellhousing (1990-1999 production, ENS part)
HDJ flywheel (not cheap, few used, and heavy to ship)
HDJ pressure plate (north american part)
Isuzu NPR clutch disk (ref: beanz part number)
HZJ H55 input shaft (see internal diff H55 posts)- you will need a late model H55 as donor

or use a HZJ clutch disk,pp, and flywheel. HZJ is 275mm across, HDJ is 300mm across.

Thanks rick.

Glad it is easy.
Now it just sounds expensive. :)
Defiantly not as budget as I was hoping for/dreaming for. :)
Wonder how much the final cost would be?
Hmmm....

How about the mounts and transfer case side?
Everything can't bolt right in can it?
That sounds to easy.

Initial idea/plan was to part out the rest of the BJ60 and my auto tranny. I was hoping to come out ahead, as well as having a manual. Might not happen now. Don't have extra money to contribute at this point. Thus me trying to be creative and not cut any corners. But I will defiantly have to consider this a few years down the road, or if my auto ever dies.

Cheers,
Nick

HZJ H55 style bellhousing
I have bought from aussie wreckers for as little as $75 AUD

HDJ flywheel
$100-$400 used to new

HDJ pressure plate
$130 (guess) US

Isuzu NPR clutch disk
$190 tax included in Tucson

HZJ H55 input shaft
$200-$300 new, might be able to get one used

Nick...

Here is a pic of one we put together a while back. Radd Cruisers installed it in a 60 series. As Rick says, the parts can be put together...requires work on your part (swaping in the shaft), scanning Oz E-bay, shipping, sourcing the engine, flywheel (if engine from an auto), etc. Staying 275mm makes Ens a closer source for some stuff. The opening of 1HZ/H55F equipped vehicles and the 15 year rule open avenues to us Canucks as well.

My dream rig (open to change at any point and changes weekly I might add) currently is a 45 series troopie, galvanized frame, body off/worked/zinc phosphated/urethane painted/line-x'd on the underside and inside/6* series cable locking axles/1HD-T-H55F/Marks 1:1-3.05:1/Long range fuel cell/mild body lift/50mm SUA Ozzy lift/set up for touring, with a military trailer in tow/roof top tent..yada yada. Don't matter LHD or RHD at this point...

A 1HZ might suffice...

Or a 12HT would be cool.

And sure...a 13BT...

But an HD-T/H55F would be icing...

:)

gb
1HD-T H55F L.jpg

I like your build but........ I would change one thing, suspension, make it a 80 series coil over three link and now you have a nice riding and even better wheeling rigf??

Highjack over....

Greg_B said:
Nick...

Here is a pic of one we put together a while back. Radd Cruisers installed it in a 60 series. As Rick says, the parts can be put together...requires work on your part (swaping in the shaft), scanning Oz E-bay, shipping, sourcing the engine, flywheel (if engine from an auto), etc. Staying 275mm makes Ens a closer source for some stuff. The opening of 1HZ/H55F equipped vehicles and the 15 year rule open avenues to us Canucks as well.

My dream rig (open to change at any point and changes weekly I might add) currently is a 45 series troopie, galvanized frame, body off/worked/zinc phosphated/urethane painted/line-x'd on the underside and inside/6* series cable locking axles/1HD-T-H55F/Marks 1:1-3.05:1/Long range fuel cell/mild body lift/50mm SUA Ozzy lift/set up for touring, with a military trailer in tow/roof top tent..yada yada. Don't matter LHD or RHD at this point...

A 1HZ might suffice...

Or a 12HT would be cool.

And sure...a 13BT...

gb

Greg_B said:
Nick...

A 1HZ might suffice...

Or a 12HT would be cool.

And sure...a 13BT...

gb

Funny, we almost have the same dream vehicle.
I too would want a TDI troopie. LHD prefered. H55 tranny and 13BT would be easy. But HD or HZ would be nicer.
And a OME coil lift. Mmmmmmm :) :D
Basally a troopie on a HDJ80. :)
All in all, very similar.

Man I love those troopies.
My girl friend has a turbo 3B FJ55 an that is pretty sweet.
But something about the troopie drawes me to it.

Cheers,
Nick

just wondering ..

If we have this scenario HZ with H55F with BF1A ( t-case ) right .. ?

So HZ is pretty the same as 1HD-T .. ? right ,, they can share bellhousing.

I remember the main diferent is the flyweel, off course the pressure plate and clutch disk.

So if I get those 3 parts from 1HD-T I can swap easy the H55F from HZ 70 right . ?

you can run the 275mm HZ clutch, HZ pp, and HZ flywheel

or better:

you can run the 300mm Isuzu Clutch, HD-_ pp, and HD-T flywheel

all under a standard issue 70 series HZ bellhousing (80 series often use H15X transmissions).

I went from 13B-T to HD-T in my 70 series here in Tucson pretty easily. A HZJ70 would be far simpler.

Greg_B said:
Nick...

A 1HZ might suffice...

Or a 12HT would be cool.

And sure...a 13BT...

gb

I've got something like that in the works now.... 45 series Troopy, H Motor with Turbo, H55, Power Steering, Frame off resto, A/C, Line-X'd on the underside etc. I'll post pics when it's completed.

rick_d said:
you can run the 275mm HZ clutch, HZ pp, and HZ flywheel

or better:

you can run the 300mm Isuzu Clutch, HD-_ pp, and HD-T flywheel.

The HD clutch disk are less than 300 mm .. ?

isuzu and HD-T clutch disks are both 300mm.

HD-T clutch disks have 14 spline centers, and no 14 spline input exists for a H55- they only are made for the H15X aluminum transmissions.

HZ/H55's are 21 spline input shafts.
Isuzu clutches are 21 spline centers.

clear as mud?

rick_d said:
HZ/H55's are 21 spline input shafts.
Isuzu clutches are 21 spline centers.

I got it ! :D

rick_d said:
clear as mud?

finaly .. !!!

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread