H42-np205 doubler/adapter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mcdesignsoffroad.com
And so it begins.

Last fall I bought an engine and 4-spd from a 78 fj40. Then I bought a couple of fj60 h42 OP shafts from Georg and a Dodge np231 23-spl, wide bearing Input gear.

I just got the sun gear back from a local guy who does EDM for his day job and at home as well.

Now things can move forward!

D36B9ED4-05B3-4949-B2D9-BFCE8423757F.jpeg

Last edited:
Hold on,
you're going straight from H42 to 205? Interesting.

looks like a 231/241 input maybe then a blackbox or something to the 205?

oh hell yeah.

So are you taking a 27 spline NP241 input and changing the input splines to fit the H42? Then making an adapter plate to bolt to the back of the H42? Looks like it will be a "custom" blackbox type thing without an extra adapter plate. Keep at it, I am interested to see where this goes.

It was a dodge np231 23 spline sun gear-Wide bearing. There was just enough material to EDM cut the fj60 h42 19-spline into and have full splines and still be in the heat treat area. The nice thing about the EDM process unlike rebroaching is that the heat treat didn’t need to be removed and reapplied. I currently have about $200 into buying the gear and have it cut. I paid a local spline machine shop a half gallon of Grey Goose to draw up the splines using the op shaft and the split case PTO gear. My EDM buddy now has the adjusted file.

yes, it’s basically a home spun “black box”.

I’m going to rely heavily on my engineering student son to get the dimensions I determine drawn for case fab/machining.

Great project. Besides cost (I'm assuming you have a hookup on machining and materials to make this worthwhile) what would the advantage be over the blackbox? Length?

going in a 40, right?

Save your popcorn. It’s going to be at least a few months. Wasn’t practical to bring parts along on deployment to measure and draw from.

Pffft! There are plenty of cruisers in the sand box to play with.

Yeah, there seem to be a lot of 79 series and some 100s, but nothing with the np231 planetary that the recut sungear is going into. The rumor mill is saying anywhere from 5-7 weeks for heading home.

True enough. I wish I could have brought a 70 series or two home with me.

That packaging is awesome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom