H150 vs H151 vs H152 manual gearboxes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There's a post in the 70 series forum about a re-designed h151 gearbox called the h152 which apparently has taller 2nd and 5th gears. Is anyone aware of mods to 80 series h150 or h151 boxes to do something like that? I know my h150f already has lower 1st and 2nd ratios compared to h151f, but the difference between 4th and 5th is more annoying as there really isn't much.

Do the h150/151/152 boxes for 70's even fit to an 80?

Can anyone comment on the questions raised by the OP here? I have some of the same questions.

Re fitment in an 80, you'd have to figure out shifter position.
There's differences in shifter location on the gearboxes for different models.
Also H152 will have a long bellhousing, and long input shaft to work with v8 engine position. These would need to swapped out for use behind an inlline 6
Lcool 100 series forum is probably a good place to start looking for details. I think @wedgetail is one person that has adapted a used H152 to a 6 cylinder diesel.

In regard to modifying H150, H151 try searching "360 gearbox" or terrain tamer and "all4xfour" in Newcastle. I think terrain tamer made parts for H150 to be converted with a lot higher 5th gear ratio. There was a youtube video from all4xfour talking about it.

Terrain Tamer sell a complete rebuilt box or a kit to fit to your gearbox. I'm a TT distributor, happy to assist if I can.

What is the proper gear oil for the h150?
Mine get Penrite pro-gear75W90 full synthetic. Lot of people report Castrol VMX is good too. From memory Toyota recommend 75w90 GL4/GL5

Mine get Penrite pro-gear75W90 full synthetic. Lot of people report Castrol VMX is good too. From memory Toyota recommend 75w90 GL4/GL5

I've found these boxes get smoother shifting using a slightly lighter weight oil.

They are known to have issues with synchros, and a clunky shift in 2nd / 3rd. A friction modified oil can make a big difference.

I use Castrol VMX-M. The last 'M' is important as it signifies its the modified version. I think it's 75/80w or 75/85. Still GL4.

My current cruiser was awful to shift when I first got it. Drained and replaced the gear oil, and it took about two weeks of driving for the shift feel to slowly improve.
35k km later, I think the shift feel has gotten stuff again, so I'll change the gear oil again in the near future. I think it takes some time to work out any gunk from old oil

Thank you. I was reading about Castrol vmx. I was looking for it here in the states but not sure I can find it. Penrite might be easier to find.
When in hot climate I never had an issue. As it got colder, going from first to second was and is almost impossible if you don't shift withing a couple hundred rpm. The only way is to float gear from first to second. Once it's warm, it's fine.

When in hot climate I never had an issue. As it got colder, going from first to second was and is almost impossible if you don't shift withing a couple hundred rpm. The only way is to float gear from first to second. Once it's warm, it's fine.
This cold shifting is what VMX-M is helpful for. (not the same as VMX)

Some people put molybdenum and Teflon additives in the gearbox to help with the same thing

Using the H152 in this build.

The transmission was recently introduced for the 1VD engine. In order to work with this FTE diesel it needed a new bellhousing and input shaft. There is at least one other diesel 80 in NA running the H152.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom