GX470 Transfer Case Replacement Options (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought a GX470 a couple months ago for a very good deal but it needs a new transfer case. After a fair amount of research a one to one replacement is going to be about $2K from a junkyard. I can find 4th gen v8 cases for half that but I know I will have to redo the wiring on the shifting for the CDL and low gear. Will full time 4wd transfer cases in the 5th gen work as well (assuming rewiring)? Are there any other affordable viable options that would just require rewiring vs new driveshafts?

What is wrong with the one you have?

What is wrong with the one you have?
After taking it all apart the front bearing went out destroying the planatary gears in the process. I thought there might be a chance of rebuilding it but way too much is damaged.

I don't think a 5th gen will work just because they're 6 bangers. Read: don't have the ponies and torque as our V8's.
I would also wager that it would be a different bolt pattern too.
You could also see if there are any Prado options? But again, their motors have fewer cylinders than ours.

Neither the 4th gen 4runner nor the 5th gen really will work...easily. It "could work" but it uses an ECU to shift, etc so if the harness and ECU don't match 1:1 you could end up with some funky electronic gremlins. I don't know the answer.

Neither the 4th gen 4runner nor the 5th gen really will work...easily. It "could work" but it uses an ECU to shift, etc so if the harness and ECU don't match 1:1 you could end up with some funky electronic gremlins. I don't know the answer.
I understand the electronics may be challenging but I wanted to make sure they would bolt up mechanically without any issues.

I agree, I bought the $100 transmission jack from harbor freight and removed the case last weekend by myself. Made the removal so easy.

I also found a post on the pirate 4x4 forum on the ultimate Toyota transfer case were elarson swapped in a full manual shift fjcruiser transfer case from the auto transmission which is also the 750f. The down side is it doesn’t have the center diff so it will be 2wd in high gear but the up side is there won’t be any issues figuring out how to get the shifting to work and I won’t have to worry about water or oil leaks with the electric shifter.

Car-part.com is your friend

Ended up buying a used fjcruiser case for $250 and fabricating a couple of shift fork extensions to make it a fwd shift So I now have a j shift gx. I took video along the way so I hope to post the whole saga soon. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

Ended up buying a used fjcruiser case for $250 and fabricating a couple of shift fork extensions to make it a fwd shift So I now have a j shift gx. I took video along the way so I hope to post the whole saga soon. Pretty happy with how it turned out.
Looking forward to the video!
Q: not sure what a "j shift" is?

yhst-91494403522699_2271_92363703.jpg

The shift pattern for the transfer case makes the shape of a J.

Reactions: r2m
So your GX is now a 2wd when not in 4lo???

I'm curious if you fuel economy will improve as an unintended consequence.

Can you link the Pirate thread?

I'm really looking forward to some details and pictures on this!

New here. Just got a GX with a bad transfer case. Transmission jack from Harbor Freight definitely made it easy. Just be careful when reinstalling so you don't rip the seal in the transmission. Got a few transfer cases through dealership's online stores, but shipping company kept breaking them. I ended up getting locally from a local dealer that was competitive with the dealer I got it from. To compare, used transfer cases at local junkyards were $2,000 with 180k miles.

They come with everything you need, except fluid. It came with a new actuator and sensors on the top side of the transfer case. Just remember to remove the shifter before removing the transfer case. Top 2 bolts took longest to install by myself. I definitely recommend having another person in the car to help position the top 2 bolts.

I consider myself an above-average home mechanic, but it took about 7 hours total to remove/reinstall by myself at a medium pace. It was fairly straight forward/easy compared to other cars I have worked on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom