GX470/Prado 120 - Show me your rack! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@McDuff123 I see that you have some mounting hardware and some spacers on the end of your rack. Is that something you rigged yourself? It appears Prinsu has some mounting brackets for RTTs, but I'm not sure which height to get. And of course Prinsu's phone number is a busy signal.

Also, regarding the Prinsu mounting feet that you linked, verify they’ll work with your tent manufacture.
I have a Free Spirit tent, and the feet don’t integrate with it. I bought them (might still have them...would sell cheap) but then realized they won’t work for me. That’s when I bought the FrontRunner QR mounts.

I'm curious - did you need anything extra to mount the Roofnest RTT to the Prinsu Rack? Or did the Roofnest come with everything you needed?
Sorry, I missed this somehow.
I don’t have a Roofnest...my tent is a Free Spirit “High Country” 63”
It has a terrific grid of extruded aluminum bars as its base, but unfortunately the low profile of these racks makes it essentially impossible to use conventional mounting brackets.
As i outlined in another post, I’m using FrontRunner quick release mounts...these raise the “interface” between the rack and tent up just enough so that I can get my hands on the latching mechanism.
Works great for me, but it was definitely rrial and error.

Sorry, I missed this somehow.
I don’t have a Roofnest...my tent is a Free Spirit “High Country” 63”
It has a terrific grid of extruded aluminum bars as its base, but unfortunately the low profile of these racks makes it essentially impossible to use conventional mounting brackets.
As i outlined in another post, I’m using FrontRunner quick release mounts...these raise the “interface” between the rack and tent up just enough so that I can get my hands on the latching mechanism.
Works great for me, but it was definitely rrial and error.

Ahh it must have been someone else who has the roofnest. The roofnest is like 160lbs so likely not feasible to remove easily once mounted.

The FrontRunner quick release mounts look sweet. But probably overkill for me.

If you have those Prinsu mounts lying around I would definitely take them off your hands. But yeah I see your point. It might be a pain in the ass to secure to RTT the rack with so little clearance.

BTW...
read you manual and know your roof load limit and reference static vs on-road vs off- road rack load limits. . . .
It's easy to surpass a rack's load limit, ESPECIALLY off-road...

Last edited:
I placed an order for the Prinsu Rack last week and realized i forgot to add on the noise reducing trim and some mounts for RTT. Prinsu emailed me 3 days later with an invoice and to confirm the order. I sent an e-mail back asking to add those items and tried calling (always get a busy signal) probably 7-8 times. Can't get a hold of anyone. Not a good customer experience so far.

@McDuff123 and other Prinsu Rack owners

Did you use any type of sealant for the the bolt holes/spacers into the roof of the car? If so how much did you use and has it been effective as far as you know?

I finally got my Prinsu rack and going to to install it in the next few days.

Did you use any type of sealant for the the bolt holes/spacers into the roof of the car? If so how much did you use and has it been effective as far as you know?

I’ve used mostly the non-acetic acid cure clear silicone with good results. Butyl sealant is another option, maybe better in regards to forgiveness once in place. If you turn a bolt after silicone or something like RTV cures you may compromise the seal. Butyl remains pliable.

You don’t need a massive glob, just get a nice even coat on your surface you want to seal, I usually also add a small bead around the underside of any bolt head and a dab to the bolt hole once the bolt is started. Don’t add any to the very end of your thread or you may cross thread the bolt. Of course adding a solid bead around the bottom of I assume for Prinsu the spacer that mates to the roof.

Also be careful removing the stock rack, loosen the bolts sort of sequentially, without putting too much torque on any one. Too much force can cause the inserts to dislocate and fall down into the headliner.

Clear silicon...kind of a glop on the bolt hole, and a bead around the spacers. As far as I know it’s still effective.

I’ve used mostly the non-acetic acid cure clear silicone with good results. Butyl sealant is another option, maybe better in regards to forgiveness once in place. If you turn a bolt after silicone or something like RTV cures you may compromise the seal. Butyl remains pliable.

You don’t need a massive glob, just get a nice even coat on your surface you want to seal, I usually also add a small bead around the underside of any bolt head and a dab to the bolt hole once the bolt is started. Don’t add any to the very end of your thread or you may cross thread the bolt. Of course adding a solid bead around the bottom of I assume for Prinsu the spacer that mates to the roof.

Also be careful removing the stock rack, loosen the bolts sort of sequentially, without putting too much torque on any one. Too much force can cause the inserts to dislocate and fall down into the headliner.

Thanks for the advice! I will post pics once I get this rack installed.

Got the Prinsu Rack installed last Friday. I unpacked everything and noticed that all of the lock washers were missing...so had to make a run to the hardware store and pick some up. Beside that annoyance putting it together and getting it mounted to the roof was pretty easy with the help of my wife. Pictures below!

PXL_20210529_201439022.jpg

PXL_20210530_010417894.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20210529_200554811.jpg

Got the Prinsu Rack installed last Friday. I unpacked everything and noticed that all of the lock washers were missing...so had to make a run to the hardware store and pick some up. Beside that annoyance putting it together and getting it mounted to the roof was pretty easy with the help of my wife. Pictures below!

View attachment 2692629

View attachment 2692630

View attachment 2692632

Congrats! looks great.
I know it’s new and you have your crossbars evenly spaced, but remember you can use the long slots to fully customize where you want your bars to be.
Nice looking GX...

Congrats! looks great.
I know it’s new and you have your crossbars evenly spaced, but remember you can use the long slots to fully customize where you want your bars to be.
Nice looking GX...

Thanks!

Yeah I just made the bars evenly spaced for now and omitted the one bar that would cross over the moon roof. We've ordered a Roofnest RTT, which will drive where the bars need to be I imagine. Pretty easy to take them out and move them around. Love how adjustible this roof rack is. Thanks for all your help and advice and to others in this thread for helping me take the plunge.

We have recently purchased an 05 GX. Asking all the Prinsu rack owners. Is the last track bar adjustable or stationary? We would like to add a ladder and want to make sure they will work with each other.

@Vincenzo
The last track bar has fixed holes but also just forward that there are adjustable slots. I did not use one track over the sunroof and rack is still very stable. You could add it to the rear or purchase another track. Should provide plenty of mounting options for a ladder.
Love the Prinsu and it is quiet on the freeway (with nothing mounted to it).
🍻
Rich

0A7DEB21-1D8E-4DC9-A38B-8BF04B2D52FF.jpeg

Don't have much of a choice of nice looking roof racks in the EU. Thinking of the Bisongear roofrack, looks about the same as the Prinsu.

I've been running the the JW Offroad rack with the steel side rails with the 6 cross bars for about a year. Has anyone noticed side to side flex in the front section over the sun roof ? I noticed it on a recent trip to the beach going over some wash boards. The front section started to wiggle and squeak. Checked the noting bolts and cross bars. Everything seems to be tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom