GX470/Prado 120 - Show me your rack! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is my diy 8020/extrusion rack:
SherpaEquipmentCo “Quandary” feet
Various tnutz/8020 parts
Uses 1x1” as the outer frame, then 2x1” crossbars
Crossbars attach to outer frame via these brackets that go on the end of the crossbars (EFD-010-1/4-20) Double End Fastener Assembly | TNUTZ | TNUTZ
The outer 1x1 has drilled access holes to tighten the button head M6 machine screws on the ends of the crossbars
Also added some slot covers all around
View attachment 2411739

View attachment 2411740
I like that sherpa offers the feet separately. Did the feet come with the hardware to connect to the roof? Did you buy the rubber spacer?

I like that sherpa offers the feet separately. Did the feet come with the hardware to connect to the roof? Did you buy the rubber spacer?

There is an option to select include rubber on the product page. The feet are under “components” category on their site.

Summer pic of my '03 GX with the Baja Rack Basket and sunroof cut out. Since the photo I got a pop up tent on there.

DJI_0041.JPG

@ArBrnSnpr or @McDuff123

I'm looking at the Prinsu rack for my GX 470 as well. My wife is concerned that our sun roof won't be usable anymore. Can you adjust the bars enough that the sunroof is functional? Assuming we don't have a bunch of stuff on the roof of course. Or maybe just remove some of the cross bars temporarily? How easy are they to remove?

I plan on putting a hardshell tent up there. Roofnest falcon is the front runner so far.

Thanks.

I noticed the SSO only has two mounting feet on each side compared to others where there are three, using all the factory mount locations. That is something to keep in mind for anyone making the decision. I also noticed Victory4x4 crossbars are Milled T-Slot/center bored. That is very convenient for those who want additional mounting option by having the screw thread facing up.
LFD is the same, it only uses 2 mounting points. If I had known that when I was getting ready to purchase, I would have gone with a '3 foot' rack (sherpa possibly). That being said, I think that the rack is likely more than strong enough with only two feet on each side.

@ArBrnSnpr or @McDuff123

I'm looking at the Prinsu rack for my GX 470 as well. My wife is concerned that our sun roof won't be usable anymore. Can you adjust the bars enough that the sunroof is functional? Assuming we don't have a bunch of stuff on the roof of course. Or maybe just remove some of the cross bars temporarily? How easy are they to remove?

I plan on putting a hardshell tent up there. Roofnest falcon is the front runner so far.

Thanks.
If the sunroof was important to you, you can definitely space the bars to leave it functioning. I have a RTT, so it out of the question for me.

If the sunroof was important to you, you can definitely space the bars to leave it functioning. I have a RTT, so it out of the question for me.

Awesome thanks. How difficult is it to remove the RTT if you're not planning on using? In the winter for example. Cause I'm looking to get the same RTT you have.

Awesome thanks. How difficult is it to remove the RTT if you're not planning on using? In the winter for example. Cause I'm looking to get the same RTT you have.
I leave it on year round. I still camp in winter. It's not to difficult though. You just need two sets of hands to lift it on/off.

@ArBrnSnpr or @McDuff123

Thanks.

If by “Functional” you mean you can operate it fully, then yes it’s functional. If you mean “can we crawl out of it”, then no, unless you arrange the crossbars for that.
Hopefully these pics will help. Please excuse the various bolts, etc...mounting hardware for my RTT and some Rotopax.
FYI, I am completely satisfied with the rack. I use it extensively...

01DF1520-6854-41A1-A5BA-3705846032B9.jpeg

56ECF084-022D-44B4-BB0F-8D8C824AFC69.jpeg

E2779CE6-59E8-4065-BF6F-52C48B2E0C56.jpeg

84DE17E6-1B59-4570-8C68-B7E73B1E11C4.jpeg

@McDuff123

Thank you for the images. This is super helpful.

I think the adjustability of this rack is going to be the deciding factor. I was also look at the Front Runner Roof Rack. It's more expensive but has lots of modular goodies made by the same company. Though the cross bars can't be moved. The modular nature of their accessories requires equidistant cross bars.

@McDuff123

Thank you for the images. This is super helpful.

I think the adjustability of this rack is going to be the deciding factor. I was also look at the Front Runner Roof Rack. It's more expensive but has lots of modular goodies made by the same company. Though the cross bars can't be moved. The modular nature of their accessories requires equidistant cross bars.
The ability to move (slide) every other bar, coupled with being able to easily remove bars entirely, has made it possible for me to “fit” everything I needed to mount the RTT, Roto’s , and misc other items.
I haven’t seen another rack yet that has this same flexibility.
Enjoy your new rack!

There are others as well. The sherpa bars that don't connect to the feet are fully adjustable.
Sherpa mounting is the strongest as it bolt to rigid extrusion. Most of this style rack rely on the thin side piece. The side bracket can be cantilevered a few inches from the roof bolt location. This makes the side piece even weaker and more prone to bending when loaded.
Not a fan of the look as its very similar with so many different vendor.

Last edited:
Think I've decided on the sherpa rack. They're so far backordered tho. Any other company shipping normally?

Sherpa mounting is the strongest as it bolt to rigid extrusion. Most of this style rack rely on the thin side piece. The side bracket can be cantilevered a few inches from the roof bolt location. This makes the side piece even weaker and more prone to needing when loaded.
Not a fan of the look as its very similar with so many different vendor.

I have the same observation about the mounting for the several “prinsu style” racks on the market. Sherpa claims to be more water proof where others require RTV to seal the bolt holes.

9E5B6860-FDB2-457B-8D8F-18227074BDF8.png

The ability to move (slide) every other bar, coupled with being able to easily remove bars entirely, has made it possible for me to “fit” everything I needed to mount the RTT, Roto’s , and misc other items.
I haven’t seen another rack yet that has this same flexibility.
Enjoy your new rack!

I'm curious - did you need anything extra to mount the Roofnest RTT to the Prinsu Rack? Or did the Roofnest come with everything you needed?

@McDuff123 I see that you have some mounting hardware and some spacers on the end of your rack. Is that something you rigged yourself? It appears Prinsu has some mounting brackets for RTTs, but I'm not sure which height to get. And of course Prinsu's phone number is a busy signal.

@McDuff123 I see that you have some mounting hardware and some spacers on the end of your rack. Is that something you rigged yourself? It appears Prinsu has some mounting brackets for RTTs, but I'm not sure which height to get. And of course Prinsu's phone number is a busy signal.

Yeah, everything you see on my rack is purpose mounted for something.
In the first picture, the 2 identical tall mounts are for Rotopax, with bases that connect to two crossbars.
The same pic shows one of my 2 awning mounts (in the foreground, with the SS hose clamp).
Picture 3 shows the same items from a different angle. Both pics show the various tie-down rings I‘ve put on.
The last picture shows the FrontRunner Quick release RTT mounts (extreme left side of picture, both foreground and far side). I have 2 more of these toward the aft of the rack. These are brilliant for mounting an RTT, as the rack is so low-profile it’s very difficult to otherwise attach the tent to the rack.
Hope that helps...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom