GX460 regrets? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So wife and I are considering getting rid of our Sienna for a 570 or 460. We have 3 kids ages 8,6, and 4. Out of the stroller stage and almost out of the car seat stage. My wife really likes driving the 570 but feels more comfortable driving the 460. So we are “leaning” towards the 460 (15-17) with a 2nd row bench. To us, the 460 with the 2nd row captains feels incomplete. I’m a little concerned with space as kids get older even though it will be mainly driven around town for now. Trails will come later. Anyone with a family of 5 with kid out of car seats have any regrets with the 460?

I have a family of 4 and as my youngest has grown out of his car seat I find the need for more space to be growing. I have two medium-small dogs that come with us on our adventures and as a result my wife and I do wish we had more room. Between additional gear for long trips or the need to seat the kids apart from each other for sanity sake, the GX comes up short on occasion. I don't want to attach a roof rack or box out of additional expense and ease of access either, this may make me bias but I would go 570 if your not heavy into tight trails.

We have both, but we don't have kids, at least not the two legged kind lol. There's no question that the 570 has more room and width but it isn't massively bigger by any means. Both have three row seating but the LX will have slightly more room in the cargo area when the third row is in use, but not much.

For us it really comes down to how we use the vehicles. For around town and off-road we both prefer the GX, it's more nimble and easier to park, it also gets better fuel economy. When it comes to towing or driving on the highway we prefer the LX. It's our long weekend not in the sticks rig and go to dinner vehicle where the GX pulls daily duties and is used for camping and off-road excursions. I'd be hard pressed to pick just one and if forced I'd like to say the LX because it's bigger/better/nicer, but unlike the price tag suggests, it isn't twice the vehicle that the GX is and in all honesty I'd probably be better served with the GX of the two. I'd buy whichever one puts a bigger smile on your wife's face and if you have a family of five you'd probably be better served with the extra room in the LX, but the GX is definitely doable.

Last edited:
I would definitely spring for the 570 if you can with that size of family. The 3rd row 460 seats are only good when the kids are very young. Another option, not sure if you're looking to go more basic, but you might also check out the Sequoia. My buddy has 3 kids and with all their bikes and gear etc the Sequoia fit the bill well.

Love my GX, but if we had a third kid, I’d definitely want a bigger vehicle.
Yeah, couldn’t work for us with another kid, for sure. But do love it. Biggest regret is not having the roll down back window of a 4Runner, or the land cruiser tailgate. Otherwise, it hits the spot

As much as I love my GX, my wife and I both had our own Landcruisers.
Albeit, we only have one daughter who's 29 years old now, but when she was young and my wife and I were doing youth group events with our church, having the extra seats AND gear room was great!
So the question is:
Room for kids and keep only to fire trails?
or...
Go a little smaller, not as much room but, "Boy can I build this baby out!!!"
In the end you'll need to reconcile what kind of off highway driving you plan on and how far you want to take your adventures.

Yeah, couldn’t work for us with another kid, for sure. But do love it. Biggest regret is not having the roll down back window of a 4Runner, or the land cruiser tailgate. Otherwise, it hits the spot

Yea, no kids here so it doesn't even factor lol. I do miss the roll down rear window in the 4Runner a lot more than I thought I would. I like the split gate with tailgate setup on the LC's and my buddies enjoyed it while gearing up a few weeks back on a dirt bike outing but I think I'd forgo the tailgate in favor of the roll down rear window. I know the dogs miss it too lol.

As much as I love my GX, my wife and I both had our own Landcruisers.
Albeit, we only have one daughter who's 29 years old now, but when she was young and my wife and I were doing youth group events with our church, having the extra seats AND gear room was great!
So the question is:
Room for kids and keep only to fire trails?
or...
Go a little smaller, not as much room but, "Boy can I build this baby out!!!"
In the end you'll need to reconcile what kind of off highway driving you plan on and how far you want to take your adventures.

I love our LX and I really loved our 80-series, but the GX is an all-around better size for true off-road use, no doubt. For now I get to enjoy both and that's nice.

Thanks you for all the input. I daily drive a 99 4Runner limited. My wife had an 04 4Runner SR5 which just happen to have a 3rd row option. Came in handy here and there and was doable with 2 kids. But when our 3rd came along it just wasn’t going to work with the 3 car seats and strollers. So even though she wasn’t happy about it we sold the 04 and bought the sienna because it was just the most practical. We thought about a sequoia but it was a tight squeeze in the garage when we had our old house and she wasn’t thrilled with parking it in the parking lot. And it’s really tough to be the electronic sliding doors with young kids. For our Colorado trips we picked up an 03 sequoia dubbed the Colorado Cruiser. We could take the sienna to Colorado but sequoia fairs a tad better in blizzards and on the trails. So the 570 or 460 would be for the wife given that she doesn’t drive much as it is. Is appears for just around town the 460 is sufficient but considering an 570 obviously because it’s a 570. Thanks again for the input.

The third row seat in the GX460 is great if you are going a short distance, like out to dinner. I think it is too small for anyone over the age of 12. As for the second row bench seat. It is too narrow to sit in the middle spot. I would recommend the LX570, just because the third row is better. The wider middle bench seat can fit 3 adults side by side comfortably. The Sequoia is even wider than the LX 570 ,if I am not mistaken. Lx is a great middle ground size.

Agreed. If the GX had roll down rear window and apple car play it would be perfection. I do like the split gate as well.

Last edited:
Would be impossible to have the split LC tailgate and a roll down window. Where would the window go? The roll down window is something you don't know you want until you have it and its amazing.

Thanks you for all the input. I daily drive a 99 4Runner limited. My wife had an 04 4Runner SR5 which just happen to have a 3rd row option. Came in handy here and there and was doable with 2 kids. But when our 3rd came along it just wasn’t going to work with the 3 car seats and strollers. So even though she wasn’t happy about it we sold the 04 and bought the sienna because it was just the most practical. We thought about a sequoia but it was a tight squeeze in the garage when we had our old house and she wasn’t thrilled with parking it in the parking lot. And it’s really tough to be the electronic sliding doors with young kids. For our Colorado trips we picked up an 03 sequoia dubbed the Colorado Cruiser. We could take the sienna to Colorado but sequoia fairs a tad better in blizzards and on the trails. So the 570 or 460 would be for the wife given that she doesn’t drive much as it is. Is appears for just around town the 460 is sufficient but considering an 570 obviously because it’s a 570. Thanks again for the input.

You ever look at a Highlander AWD? I have a 2000 3rd Gen 4runner with a v8 which I love but it got long in the tooth so I'm selling to a family member. Two young kids (5 and 3) and we also have an Odyssey (most sexually explicit minivan out there.) I love my 460 even if I seldom drive it but I'm quite a fan of the Highlander too. Definitely more practical for your immediate needs and if you feel you need something more trailworthy when the time comes then get a 460. I like these things a lot but I really think the Highlander will surprise you. I get that I'm not in that narrow band of family of five out of car seats so I may be the last person to ask. Anyway, good luck and in the end all the best to you.

Anyone regret going with a luxury package over a premium? For now it will just remain a glorified grocery getter. 5-6 years down the road it may see some trail time. My main concern is the suspension which I see there are coil spring swap kits. I dragged my feet on a very clean low mile 2016. Wasnt to familiar with the market at the time and it sold. At the time I thought it was overpriced but doesnt seem to be the case now. Called on a few others, and they have sold before the dealer could even post pictures up and prices seem to be stay above $30k. I though it would be fairly easy getting a 2015/2016 premium with less than 55k miles for under $30k but it actually been quite a challenge the past couple of weeks. Came across a luxury package with crawl control. Miles are higher than we were planning but need to see if I can get them to atleast $28k.

For $38k, I can get a pristine 2015 LX570 with luxury package 63k miles which has me second guessing if the GX is worth it. Also has me considering just keeping the van and wait to see how the twin turbo V6 does in the Land cruiser.

We have looked at the highlander in the past when it was only a 6-7 passenger. Its bigger now but my wife likes being higher up and doesnt mind the body on frame ride.

First, regardless of price and mileage, what size are you looking for or leaning towards? There's a big gap in size between getting an LX over a GX and what your plans are for it. Will it be just a road princess? Or do you plan on building it for trails and maybe off road play?
Second, if you're planning on any type of towing, off-roading, etc., you may only want body-on-frame. Unless you're towing a personal water craft, very small motorcycle trailer and trailers that are really light, then it doesn't matter.

Both are great vehicles, 👍 just need to decide what your needs are.

I have a GX with the second row captains seats, and have some regret there. It is a really nice vehicle, but no comparison to the LX. My teenagers don't mind the 3rd row in the LX, but bitch like no tomorrow about getting in the back of the GX.

Just sold a 2004 Sienna with 211K. As much as I hate to say it, you cannot beat that vehicle on a road trip with 3 kiddos.

Without a doubt, nothing beats the space in a minivan. But we also now have a 2003 sequoia that hauls the boat, and sees trail time for our trips to CO and getting us through blizzards when skiing even with over 200K miles. It fits the bill.

Overall, just trying to determine what would be the best value and interested in hearing everyone’s experiences to help us determine that. My wife is comfortable driving the 570 but a little more comfortable with the 460. If we found a good deal on a 460 it would allow us to upgrade the sequoia to a newer one sooner than later if we go with the 570. . The 460 is a comfortable vehicle for being body on frame but the 570 is just so posh. I personally am a little hesitant about the kids scuffing something up in the 570. Would feel like defacing a work of art. If it happens in the 460, I’ll still be annoyed it happened but it’s not like we are planning to sell it 5 years down the road. End of the day they are just vehicles.

Mainly the GX or LX would be for the wife who drives less than 10k miles a year. She just likes sitting higher up. Which makes it a little easier to convince her to lift it for mall crawls. We would be using it for our Sunday trips to Sears and if we went out for a classy dinner at Sizzler for our anniversary :hillbilly:

Last edited:
Anyone regret going with a luxury package over a premium? For now it will just remain a glorified grocery getter. 5-6 years down the road it may see some trail time. My main concern is the suspension which I see there are coil spring swap kits. I dragged my feet on a very clean low mile 2016. Wasnt to familiar with the market at the time and it sold. At the time I thought it was overpriced but doesnt seem to be the case now. Called on a few others, and they have sold before the dealer could even post pictures up and prices seem to be stay above $30k. I though it would be fairly easy getting a 2015/2016 premium with less than 55k miles for under $30k but it actually been quite a challenge the past couple of weeks. Came across a luxury package with crawl control. Miles are higher than we were planning but need to see if I can get them to atleast $28k.

For $38k, I can get a pristine 2015 LX570 with luxury package 63k miles which has me second guessing if the GX is worth it. Also has me considering just keeping the van and wait to see how the twin turbo V6 does in the Land cruiser.

We have looked at the highlander in the past when it was only a 6-7 passenger. Its bigger now but my wife likes being higher up and doesnt mind the body on frame ride.

A 2015 LX 570 with 63K miles for $38K? Man, those pre-2016 LX's have surely taken a major hit on resale value, there's a $15-20K delta between the 2015 and 2016 models, nuts.

The LX will always be the nicer vehicle of the two and it will definitely be more comfortable. It's just bigger, heavier, a little more disconnected feeling and gets worse fuel economy. The LX costs a little more to insure and I don't like driving it around town as much as the GX, I prefer it on the highway.

If you can get a 2015 LX with 63k miles for 38k, then jump on it. That's a great deal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom