GX460 OEM aux fuel tank retrofit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spending time in a Prado 150 I constantly wondered about retrofitting diffetent OEM prado stuff. I remember thinking an aftermarket tank would be the better bet, but I don't remember exactly why. I'll see if I still have any notes saved.

Refrigerated center console really had me interested but I stopped even adding up parts at the $2K mark.

130 liter/ 35 gallon aftermarket "rear tank replacement" option (shipping would hurt)

TOYOTA PRADO 150 SERIES TP150R1 Long Range Fuel Tanks | Under Body Protection | Rollcages | UnderGuards | Roll Over Protection | Battery Trays

Another similar Aus competitor

Toyota Landcruiser Prado KDJ150, Toyota Landcruiser Prado GRJ150 136L Replacement

And a USA available aux tank (+19 gallon for 39 total)/ transfer pump (looks similar to stock prado design) for the FJ. I wonder how similar the spare tire area is between FJ and GX?

Man-A-Fre FJ Cruiser Auxiliary Tank - Man-A-Fre

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

My goal is to keep the GX as stock as possible. The nice thing about the stock aux tank is that it acts as a single large tank (unlike the 120 series) and it does not require a transfer pump. I think all you would need is the tank and hoses.

The problem I have is determining what parts I need and what I don't need. Looking at the parts diagram shows that most are the same but there are some differences. I could just order all the different parts and see how it goes?

Where are you planning to source parts from? I think only the southern-most portions of South America and Australia get the extra tank/ door mounted spare configurations. If that's the case, shipping for small bits would probably be reasonable, but the tank might be expensive enough to make the us-available FJ tank more appealing?

Are you thinking wiring and fuel lines will clip into our harness/ lines or maybe some strategic swaps would keep it tidy and stock?

Sorry for all the questions... As you can tell, im definitely in for the two person group buy!

Where are you planning to source parts from? I think only the southern-most portions of South America and Australia get the extra tank/ door mounted spare configurations. If that's the case, shipping for small bits would probably be reasonable, but the tank might be expensive enough to make the us-available FJ tank more appealing?

Are you thinking wiring and fuel lines will clip into our harness/ lines or maybe some strategic swaps would keep it tidy and stock?

Sorry for all the questions... As you can tell, im definitely in for the two person group buy!

I was planning on getting the parts from Australia. I know someone that can coordinate shipping there. He ships large items all the time so I think it would be reasonably priced.

I would make it entirely stock. So all parts that needed to be replaced I would. I want it to function like it does in Australia.

I'm going to start making a list of parts. From there I will price them out and see how possible it is. I know that I may not get all of the parts at first but hopefully by the end of this I'll be able to share what I learned with everyone here.

Are you still working on this idea or you give up ? I would really love to have a bigger tank or option for a second tank where the spare tire was located.

Also would the parts be the same for a GX470?
Could save money if there are, say 4 total being shipped?

Unless they are shipped in the same container to one single address then distributed from there , you can't save much in shipping.

Either an auxiliary fuel tank or larger replacement tank would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!! Even just 10 or 15 gallons more!!
I've been waiting to hear about it because if it is a replacement tank I'd like to use the spare tire space for a pancake air tank. If it's an auxiliary tank, I'm sure it will be using that space. So in short I don't want to take up that spare tire space just yet.

Last edited:
I posted this over on CL GX forum

You can buy the parts to install the OEM sub tank, including the filler neck and transfer hoses for less than most of the aftermarket options.

To get you started here is the tank part number 77001-60730
Tank straps 77601-60320 (you'll need 2)
Filler assembly 77210-60150
Sub Tank outlet assembly 77010-60240
Sub tank level sender 83320-60540
Main Tank pump holder with Sub inlet 77020-60470

There's a bunch of misc hardware and plumbing in the OEM setup but with a little ingenuity it shouldn't be hard.

ChiTown, when you say sub-tank, I'm assume you're referring to an auxiliary tank in the spare tire location.
Not a larger tank. Correct?

Correct, the smaller 30L unit where the US spare tire would go

For all of us CA people keep in mind this will not pass smog inspection as it is a modification of the fuel system :bang:

Don't need it now that LRA has a kit that will be cheaper than sourcing OEM parts.

Just for giggles, has anyone looked into a larger replacement tank for the GX460's?
That would satisfy the CA issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom