GX sized Adventure Trailers & RTT's: Why/Why not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

r2m

Richard
Threads
As most of you all have read already, we have an iKamper RTT that we love.
But I have to admit since my rig is a daily driver, I really don't like having it on all the time.
I also don't have an easy method to load and unload it or place to store when it's removed.
Thus my wife and I are looking at adventure trailers.
I would like to build my own when I get a little more space for it, just because of the engineer in me and also that the really nice adventure trailers are $$$$. But purchasing one is not completely off the table either.

I've seen Tex68w be pretty animate about having had an adventure trailer and not liking it.
I'd like to start a discussion on the "Plus" and "Minus" of Adventure Trailers and Roof Top Tents.
Since my wife and I are presently enamored with the idea of an adventure trailer, I'm sure we're looking at it through rose colored glasses and maybe not seeing some of the headaches and/or downsides associated with them.

For clarification, the trailer would probably be more for base camping in one location for a week or so and not hard overlanding or long road trips.

So, let the comments begin! :cheers:

I'm not smart enough to have a rtt. I like the looks of these..

Any experiences with them or any adventure trailers? Good/Bad/Ugly comments?

I LOVE my trailer. I do understand why some may not - if you're into off-roading for the off-roading, I can understand the view that trailers are an anchor and limit maneuverability. I'm into off-roading to get to great camp spots, so I walk or unhook and drive if I think a road / trail might be questionable to drag my trailer.

The insulation, hot water, battery, comfort of a trailer is pretty darn nice - and even my wife, who is not really a camper, has enjoyed our trips.

Trailers range from the very light w/RTT mounted on them - which was my plan. But when I started exploring that with my wife / family, it became evident to me that we needed something more enclosed. That meant more weight and less maneuverability, but I am thrilled with having it.

I hate not being able to stand up in them for the money spent. I tried it, twice, it's not for me, but I see the appeal depending on how and where you use one.

I can stand up just fine in mine, with headroom to spare.
But if I remember correctly giovanni, your trailer is more box style than adventure style, correct? Most adventure trailers are pretty low slung and have a RTT if you can't crawl inside.

I hate not being able to stand up in them for the money spent. I tried it, twice, it's not for me, but I see the appeal depending on how and where you use one.
Tex68w, I been really wanting to know all your negatives of trailers and get some insight on why you're over them.
You are actually the one person I was hoping to chime in. I really want to hear all the down sides.
Personally I can see all the reasons to want one, but again, when looking through those darned rose colored glasses, all you see is the shiny things.

Here are some of the negatives I can come up with:
  • For me some of the main down sides are in California, towing is ONLY allowed in the right two lanes. So if you're on a three or more lane freeway and are stuck in the right two lanes by slow moving traffic, you're taking a chance trying to pass in the third or forth lanes. Not that big of deal, just need to keep an eye out when attempting it.
  • Sometimes getting gas, depending upon how the gas station islands are set up can be tricky.
  • Backing up in tight spaces.
  • Parking for restaurants, especially eateries in the city where parking is sometimes tight. On the open road, most restaurants have parking to accommodate trailers, including tractor-trailers (semi's).
  • Gas mileage. :meh: Not really that big of a deal. I lose more change in my sofa than the cost difference in mileage.
  • Speed limits are usually posted as 10 mph slower. Yeah, like anybody pays any attention. :flipoff2:
  • Rear view. But being half Italian, just have give the 1st rule of Italian driving from that classic movie: Canon Ball Express

My wife and I looked at hundreds of them. After doing the math we bought an airplane. (seriously)
Not being a pilot, but my Dad is and with several planes including kit's,
I know that even if you kit built your own plane, the cost would probably multiple times more than an off road trailer.
But congrats on the plane! I toy with the idea of getting my pilots license sometime when my time slows down and money frees up. when I was 15, my Dad wanted me to get my pilots license before my (car) drivers license, but I told him, "I can't fly to school, I need a car!" Should have done the plane license... hind sight is always 20/20...

But if I remember correctly giovanni, your trailer is more box style than adventure style, correct? Most adventure trailers are pretty low slung and have a RTT if you can't crawl inside.

It is box style, with a collapsible roof - which is what gives it the level of headroom we have. It is really a hybrid between a true "camper" and an adventure trailer. 33" tires, loads of suspension travel, relatively light (4200 GVWR, I pull it about 3700 lbs).

I thought the OGT as posted above was perfect - until I started discussing with my wife and decided to go with the bigger / heavier box style I wound up buying.

• Rear view. But being half Italian, just have give the 1st rule of Italian driving from that classic movie: Canon Ball Express

I have a Garmin backup / rear view camera mounted on my trailer and it wirelessly connects to my Garmin DriveSmart device. Works great as a rear view / backup camera.

Reactions: r2m
I've been an aircraft mechanic for 20 years, got the plane when the 44th prez was in office and planes were dirt cheep. It could turn that way again soon...

The construction tequniques, layout, building materials I saw, keep putting me in the mindset that I'd have to custom build one myself.

Something like a mini airstream with a generator & aux gas tank built in.... Interior that could be hosed out.... Unicorns are expensive.

I can stand up just fine in mine, with headroom to spare.

Your particular model is the exception, 98% of them you can't stand in. Also, what did you have to pay for that luxury?

Tex68w, I been really wanting to know all your negatives of trailers and get some insight on why you're over them.
You are actually the one person I was hoping to chime in. I really want to hear all the down sides.
Personally I can see all the reasons to want one, but again, when looking through those darned rose colored glasses, all you see is the shiny things.

Here are some of the negatives I can come up with:
  • For me some of the main down sides are in California, towing is ONLY allowed in the right two lanes. So if you're on a three or more lane freeway and are stuck in the right two lanes by slow moving traffic, you're taking a chance trying to pass in the third or forth lanes. Not that big of deal, just need to keep an eye out when attempting it.
  • Sometimes getting gas, depending upon how the gas station islands are set up can be tricky.
  • Backing up in tight spaces.
  • Parking for restaurants, especially eateries in the city where parking is sometimes tight. On the open road, most restaurants have parking to accommodate trailers, including tractor-trailers (semi's).
  • Gas mileage. :meh: Not really that big of a deal. I lose more change in my sofa than the cost difference in mileage.
  • Speed limits are usually posted as 10 mph slower. Yeah, like anybody pays any attention. :flipoff2:

In general towing sucks. I have done a lot of it in my lifetime and it's a necessary evil on many levels but it's not a necessity when off-road and paying tens of thousands of dollars to choose that burden adds insult to injury. Don't get me wrong, there are some fantastic trailers out there, the manufactured one I have experience with is the Boreas and at $29K it was knocked out. If you're to use it as @giovanni does, simply as a base camp, then I get the appeal, but if you're on the move everyday and need to keep the trailer with you while off-road, it becomes a chore depending on the complexity of the trail.

1) Can't stand up in them (@giovanni's trailer is the exception as are the other $50K+ off-road trailers that 99% of us don't own).

2) Liability both on road and off.

3) Expense for what little you get in return. You can buy an Airstream for what some of these trailers cost.

4) Very little inside space.

5) Ease and speed of travel, reduced fuel economy (not that big of a deal when you own a modified 4x4 lol).

There are others, but this is what I can think of off the top of my head to add what you've already listed. Everyone has different needs and desires, some need the free space in their rig for a larger family or dogs, while those like myself only need space for two. A trailer affords you the extra capacity to carry all of your camping gear off/out of your vehicle leaving you a plenty of room for more bodies and stuff. I don't see any advantage to a trailer over putting gear on the roof in regards to fuel economy and efficiency, but that's not an option for those who already have a RTT up top, enter the trailer option.

My time in the Army turned me into a minimalist in regards to what I pack and carry so I keep my loads small and light, I don't need to carry everything but the kitchen sink like a lot of these "overlanders" feel the need to do. My biggest struggle now is to decide whether or not I move forward with a sleeping platform to sleep inside while putting all of my gear on the roof, or storing my gear inside while sleeping in a RTT. Trailers are great if they fit your needs and it's nice to be able to leave them stored with all of your gear and ready to go at a moments notice, but they aren't for everyone, myself included.

I have a Garmin backup / rear view camera mounted on my trailer and it wirelessly connects to my Garmin DriveSmart device. Works great as a rear view / backup camera.
Does the rear view camera also work while driving, seeing what and how close someone is behind you? And at night with headlights blazing in the camera??
I don't have Garmin, just my trusty 'ol Google Maps. So I'd probably have to set up a small monitor somewhere for rear view.

I've been an aircraft mechanic for 20 years, got the plane when the 44th prez was in office and planes were dirt cheep. It could turn that way again soon...

The construction tequniques, layout, building materials I saw, keep putting me in the mindset that I'd have to custom build one myself.

Something like a mini airstream with a generator & aux gas tank built in.... Interior that could be hosed out.... Unicorns are expensive.

Which plane did you buy? I have my Private and Instrument, I have been eyeing and considering a plane for years now, but it's just not the right time for me. I try to get up and get some seat time every year but I haven't flown any this year which makes me sad.

TEX68w, we also are just my wife and I, but sometimes my daughter and granddaughter, but they will drive themselves and use my wife's Taco to load their own gear in, so we're not over loaded.
Being in the Army, I completely understand your minimalist attitude. My Go-Bag and 3-Day Assault Bag are very trim.
And even all our camping gear is very trim, it's just that it is very "comfortable" camping, which takes up room. I have everything setup as systems so it takes less space and fewer components to load when we head out.
Personally, I'd really like to design and build my own trailer. There are features I'd add that I have not seen on any other trailer, like a ~20 gal fuel cell with a hand pump to augment not having to carry 5 gal jerry gas cans or roto packs on the back bumper. Haaving a vertical telescoping stall on the front tongue (a long tongue) so when it is collapsed, it's only about 4' high, slide it up and it'll be about 6.6 to 7' high with a shower head and port-a-potty inside. Dry camping with no toilets is kind of a sticking point with my wife, although she's quite the trooper and does fine.

Tex68w: you're right, it isn't the norm for "adventure trailers". I also agree that towing isn't fun, that it was expensive, and that it limits what / where you can go with it. The advantages (all comfort related) outweigh the disadvantages for me because it means I can get the family out camping at a fairly high frequency. Without this, we wouldn't go very often.

Ideal setup for me would be a minimalist approach (tent, small fridge, and some cooking equipment) for just me (or maybe my daughter when she's a bit older), and the trailer for when *people* (wife) who require more comfort want to come. :cool:

I was in the Navy, so I guess I like the comfort a little too! I was initially very dismissive of the value of having onboard hot water, but I will tell you that after a day of hiking and hanging out around a campfire, a quick rinse off feels GREAT.

r2m: the camera quality is *okay*, and it does a decent job of backup camera and rear view mirror duties. Not as clear as direct vision for sure, but it is enough to know what's behind you. You can select or deselect the image on the Garmin very easily.

I had a FreeSpiritReacreation Overlander trailer. I bought it second hand for $8k CAD including the M60 Adventure tent, spent about $3-4k CAD on modifications, and sold the tent & trailer (separately) for $13.5k. It was a great little unit, but it had downsides. Poor entry into the storage (small doors), non-lifting top, lack of OEM tongue platform, spare wheel, etc.

I recently saw a well-equipped CVT trailer locally for $12.5k CAD brand new. It was a phenomenal unit - very well built, had everything you'd need, at a very attractive price. If I were to go this adventure trailer route again, that's what I would buy.

If you are planning on basecamping for a week, I would skip the whole ordeal and get a small, but proper travel trailer like the Hymer Touring I've got now.

I don't think my trailer limits me in any way. I can back up a trailer like a champ, and if it really comes down to it, I can take it off the vehicle, spin it around, and re-connect after turning myself around. I think this is a fantastic setup for going doing a somewhat-rough FSR, setting up camp, and exploring from there.

Which plane did you buy?

Cessna 150L, overhauled it myself. Wife & I make weight with full tanks, we do fly ins and $100 handburgers. Broke it in March 2020, put 150hrs on it, my son put 40. Installed a glideslope and add-b myself. Building a Ch750 Super Duty now.

IMG_20200706_184706.jpg

DSC_0218.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom