Guide me: GX or 4Runner to replace my TDi Touareg... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The 460 has no option for a rear locker, correct? Do they even have the Toyota crawl control?

The 460 has no option for a rear locker, correct? Do they even have the Toyota crawl control?

Can't speak for others, but the Crawl Control would satisfy my needs quite well. One day I might consider adding a rear locker, but it's not a priority item for my use case.

AFAIK Crawl Control is only available on the Premium Trim - which is sometimes offered with Adaptive Cruise - a feature I adore.

I think crawl control is only available on the Luxury ('14+). I'll have to research the ATRAC availability and which models it comes with. ATRAC is fantastic and would get me by for a little while with not having a locker.

I did find a guy on GXOR that has a pretty well kitted '14+ GX. He has an ARB bumper on order and plans to install in early September (I think he's out of country right now). I'm interested to see the outcome. The guy has already trimmed his front bumper so he's definitely not afraid to get real with the sawzall. He may be on here...awesome looking GX. The bumpers are the only thing really holding me back on the GX at this point.

No, no locker option on US 460. They have them everywhere else in the world on the Prado's.

I don't do any serious off road where bumper clearance could be an issue but I would love a bumper for dear crossing. I drive a lot at night and is prone to happen.
I contacted Costa Fabrication and the guy told me that he could work with me on a custom bumper but ,,
Minimum $2500, leave the truck there for few weeks, unsure of the results ??.
I look into his products and I have to say that I never see in my life better welds and attention to details.
I looked into the ARB but they are sticking out so much ,,,, and is not specifically made to fit US models. You have to chop at your own risk. I get it that you need a serious bumper if you hit a JOEY at 100 km/hour but I wish it was tucked in a little.
Metal Tech looks nice and price pretty decent. Maybe they will come out with a version for the latest models.

Not sure if you have bought something yet but one thing to consider for hotter times is the GX460 has a true rear A/C option. The 4runner has just vents that come out of the center console.

I recentley sold my built 2013 trail to buy a GX. Its all around more unique and better built, much much quiter inside.
I will be honest and say another factor for me was all the " BRO " 4runners popping up as well.

Was a great rig and severed us well for 68k miles.

Haven't made a purchase yet - holding out for a MY18 4R and using that time to shop for a suitable GX.

If I go the GX route I'm holding out for CRAWL and hopefully Active Cruise (which seems to be incredibly rare).

I just purchased the 4R TEP (my second TE). I put a full TRD package on it and it's a great truck for the occasional mid weight haul. For significant road work the Lexus will be certainly more comfortable for daily commutes I just think the 4R is just cool to have. My wife drives a Cayenne GTS so I know where your coming from. The P cars/trucks are great vehicles but a lot more expensive to own long term than the Lexus.

I got my 2010 460 last year with Crawl and adaptive cruise control in Canada. I'm in the US. Importing it was very easy. That trim is called Super Premium. Good luck!

I got my 2010 460 last year with Crawl and adaptive cruise control in Canada. I'm in the US. Importing it was very easy. That trim is called Super Premium. Good luck!

Mind if I asked how much you paid? Did you change out the gauge cluster for MPH?

I paid 23k plus 2.6% (or something like that) for import duty. It had 70k miles when I got it in February last year. At that time there was nothing for less than 30k in the US and none with Crawl.

Didn't change anything. Speed emoter has both mph and kph. Odometer is in km and there is no way to change it but it doesn't bother me. Love it

As a data point, I replaced my 2011 Audi Q7 TDI with a 2010 Land Cruiser. I had traded a 2003 LC in on the Q7 and would've considered the GX this time around if not for that silly rear door, although the newer GX does at least have the ability to open just the glass in the hatch.

First post here: this is a great thread as I'll be in the same spot in a few years again, rocking the economy car for now for financial reasons when I got laid off in 14'. I had 2 FJ's previously and come from a family of Yota owners, so it seems a no brainer although I've looked outside the brand like the LRs, and Jeep, mainly because I've rented a few JGCs to go fishing in Jersey and they're real smooth and nice, but smaller and I don't have the same confidence at the 60k plus point whatsoever! I test drove 2 used GX460s last night, and I'm quite amazed. Rides very smooth but doesn't have the "trucky" feel that 4R and my FJs had for sure, and power wise its nice and rides like glass compared to the new 4R I test drove.

@22Eyunu35VO I wanted to thank you for your posts. very helpful during my search for our GX.

Cheers,

The GX460 snuck up on me. On paper it has a lot going for it: V8 with minimal econ penalty. Lockable Torsen, KDSS, and off-road tech goodies. Nice interior, seating for 7, and it's a Prado so there are tons of aftermarket parts. The downsides are the looks, the stupid JDM rear door, and LC-like approach/departure angles.

So, given all of this, what say ye? Is the daft 4WD system on the 4Runner that big a deal? How much will resale take a dump when the 6th gen comes out in a few years? Is KDSS worth it (oh, I know there have been threads about that...)? Is the GX departure angle THAT bad? Same question for the LC? Should I just suck it up, but the LR4 to please my wife and take all the money I'd spend modding' the LC/GX and put it towards repairs?

-S

Your comment about bumpers and approach / departure had me curious so I looked it up:

2018 LC200 (most years are similar, the design hasn't changed much)
Ground clearance: 9.1” in US (rest-of-world has AHC as an option)
Approach: 32°
Departure: 24°
Breakover: 21°

2018 GX460
Ground clearance: 8.1”
Approach: 21°
Departure: 23°
Breakover: 21°

2018 4runner 4x4:
Ground clearance: 9.6”
Approach: 33°
Departure: 26°
Breakover: not listed

I recently went through the same shopping process as you and ended up with a 2008 LX570. So far I've only changed out the wheels and tires:

t9xkquS.jpg

It checked all the same boxes for me balancing budget, comfort and capability. I was not scared off by the AHC. It's vastly improved for the 200 series. And I'm not building a monster—just wanted something to get me off pavement once and a while.

2008 LX570
Ground clearance: 8.9” in normal 11.9” in x-hi
Approach: 29° in normal, 31° in x-hi
Departure: 20° in normal 23°, in x-hi
Breakover: 23° in normal, 27° in x-hi (note: not sure I believe 23° in standard given that LX has more running board than TLC)

Lexus made the 570 front approach significantly worse in 2016 with the new fascia:

2016 LX570
Ground clearance: 8.9” in normal 11.9” in x-hi
Approach: 25° in normal, 28° in x-hi
Departure: 20° in normal, 23° in x-hi
Breakover: 23° in normal, 27° in x-hi

If break over/approach/departure are important, it might be worth taking a closer look at the 200LC/LX? Both can be had used within your budget.

Anyways, best of luck, you really can't go wrong with any of your choices.

‘10-’13 GX460 / Normal Setting Premium model
Approach: 28 deg
Departure: 25 deg / Possibly 29 deg (high suspension setting) -published data seemingly absent
Breakover: 21 deg

I thought '08-'15 LCs were:

2008-2015 Land Cruiser
Approach: 30 deg
Departure: 20 deg

and '16+ went

2016+ Land Cruiser
Approach: 32 deg
Departure: 24 deg

‘03-’09 GX470
Approach: 30 or 31 deg
Departure: 25 deg (normal) / 29 deg (high)

2008-2015 LX 570
80-screen_shot_2017_07_03_at_4_16_17_pm_cc3602b48cdbf4f874cd268fe44b026a3175198f.png

'16+ LX 570
80-screen_shot_2017_07_03_at_4_10_31_pm_70d45ed4ecab043d2f43d218c670df4357a6e5e3.png

I have a '12 GX 460 Premium

• ATRAC is on "all" 460s from '10+
• Crawl control is available but an extremely rare option. It was available on Premium model '10-'13 and on Luxury model '14+

I am researching how to enable this option. There is an extra console button... but looking at similar upgrade options on FJ forums might need a new BCM and/or master cylinder. There are different master cylinders used on GXs with crawl control.

If you see a GX with the camera lens under the emblem it definitely has crawl control. Sideview monitor is included with package.

Examples below.

Crawl control button is the ON/OFF in lower left of 4 switches.

302551d1382575753-how-can-i-tell-if-a-used-gx460-has-crawl-control-kgrhqz-ogfi6f-gc5zbso-0eizog-_4.jpg

Normal Downhill Assist Control on all GX's will look like this. This is a model with adjust suspension and rear air bags. Models without those two latter features will have blanks in the upper two switch locations.

2014-lexus-gx-460-drive-controls.jpg

gx-standard-model-buttons.jpg

images

2010_lexus_gx_460-pic-7671119448036116673-1600x1200.png

Which setup is best for building out an overland rig where you'd want to do a 2" to 2.5" OME lift and carry a lot of weight? GXs with just the two switches (DAC and 4H/4L?) are a dime a dozen around here and much cheaper on the used market than the Lux models.

Also, it seems like one can pick up a model with just the DAC and 4H/4L and then order a new switch panel, then enable crawl control with a computer update, right?

Sorry, I'm new at this and haven't picked up all the lingo, etc.

I was in same place as you last year. I use to drive a 2014 TDI and I decide to buy something else due to emission BS. I use this truck mostly in weekend and a Tundra for work.
I went to the dealer and tested both. The 4Runner and the GX for about 40 miles on the highway mostly, one after the other one ( dealers across the street).
4Runner- less bulk, more nimble, smaller inside and I found it little plasticky inside.
GX- bigger inside (have two German pointers), much quieter on the highway and better touch of the materials they use.

Now, the biggest difference is the motor in my eyes. The V8 is not big enough for how heavy is this truck (a little turbo would be nice) but it runs like a cat.

Decided on the GX,
2" inch BP51, 34" tires, 4.56 front and rear, ARB at both ends. I still dont like the front facia but i will eventually install a custom bumper.
The rear door is something that I got used to in few weeks.
They are both good cars but until you drive both back to back you will not see the difference between. Good luck. View attachment 1511050
How does your GX ride with the lift as compared to stock? Any drop in mpg?

I switch to Dobinsons two years ago. About 1 1/2” of lift and 285/70/17”
Rides tighter in turns and as smoothly as oem , in my eyes.
The key is to stay away from LT tires if you want comfort.
I get an average 16-17mpg with 4.56 gears but I am a light foot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom