Guess that grinding noise: front end

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Jun 6, 2014
Threads
1
Messages
3
I have a 1985 GMC S15 Jimmy 4wd.

Les Swab says nothing wrong with front end. I have the same symptoms if I step on the gas the sound goes away.

Front right side is where it sounds like it;s coming from.

I was able to and can reproduce sound every single time i do following.

1 . Car running and moving(30mph approx) on a. STRAIGHT road.
2. Push clutch in and turn key to turn engine off for only a second then back forward to unlock steering wheel.
3. put in appropriate gear for speed, and slowly release clutch.

Apon vehicle starting = noise/vibration isssue.

Taking to transnission shop today. Will update asap.
 
Adding to this:

To reproduce issue at will, all I have to do is start car while moving at 15mph or faster. Using key or poping clutch.

Below 15mph - (estimate 12-15) it will do it, but for about 1-2 seconds then goes away.

Next

I'm gona disconnect clutch switch, so I can attempt to start while moving but without pushing clutch in.
 
Ok, another update:

I can reproduce sound by having car rolling(engine off) at 15mph or above, then start jimmy. I can use key, or pop clutch. Doesn't matter if in gear or neutral.
 
if you have full time 4x4 and u have a vibration that started at 55 to 65 and has goten worse then pull front d line check ujoints yuo culd be hearing the rear to the front ujoint in rear gets most angle rear is pitched the end to go first
 
If you wheel hard then you could have loose bolts between engine, bell housing, and trans. I had a similar situation (auto trans so tough to reproduce like you're doing) and it turned out to be a cracked bell housing that was allowing the torque converter to rub a little on the inside of the bell housing under load. You couldn't see the crack unless the vehicle was crossed up a little on uneven ground. Also, have you looked at the front driveshaft?
 
Back
Top Bottom