Group Buy on 1st Gen 4Runner Can-Back Soft Tops (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PRetty sure I know the answer, but BTT;)
I have a 1st gen. These tops are nice. Where is the order at currently? enough people?
It's been frustrating. The owner was heavily engaged when this thread first commenced, but has since gone silent on me. I'm still working on it, but their silence tells me things aren't going as planned, unfortunately.

Yeah, I would have thought that doing a few small-ish batches on trucks they already have tooling and templates for would be easy kills to generate some revenue. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Guess not.

Granted, the pics on their site of the Tacoma top don’t look all that hot:meh:

The KTT tops aren’t bad, I just don’t like having to keep the rear window up without tracks. Hit a good bump and that rear window is toast.

Last edited:
Yeah, I would have thought that doing a few small-ish batches on trucks they already have tooling and templates for would be easy kills to generate some revenue. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Guess not.

Granted, the pics on their site of the Tacoma top don’t look all that hot:meh:

The KTT tops aren’t bad, I just don’t like having to keep the rear window up without tracks. Hit a good bump and that rear window is toast.

Yeah, didn’t sound like rocket science to me - and surely they have the old templates and e-drawings. I just emailed he owner again and will let everyone know if/what I hear back.

I don’t like the slant of the rear glass when with a soft top or when a soft top mimics that slant.

I like the Canback’s boxed, straight vertical rear...reminiscent of an OEM FJ-40 Land Cruiser Top.

That said, looks like I’ll just order a softtopper and rock on...

While the group buy never materialized, Can-back is taking pre-orders for the 1st Gen 4Runners for October production.

https://www.can-back.com/product-page/toyota-4-runner
Wow, $2,650!!! Hard to compete with SoftTopper at $900! And surely they could have found a little more polished 1st gen to show it off on!

I am honstly lad to see them finally doing something. I couldn't wait and went with a SoftTopper. I'm very pleased with the quality, fit, and look after 2-months of it being on the truck.

I’m actually on the phone with the guy right now, ill update this post with the changes to the tops.

EDIT:

Ok, this is what I got from Bryon from Can-Back after a chat.

The tops are still in R&D as they are upgrading the design a little bit from the original Can-Back top and want all the wrinkles ironed out before they go into production.

Upgrades from original: (hasnt changed much from @Charles4x4 earlier post)

- Upgrating material from the Sunbrella Plus to the to the Seamark canvas, more waterproof than the original as it is vinyl backed. Looks like Seamark is a little less breathable, but is waterproof and a bit more abrasion resistant than Plus.
- Better thread, Vortex IIRC which is very good and they went that way at their old thread would start to fail at about 10 years.
- The entire frame will be stainless steel now, the old was part stainless and the non-stainless parts tended to rust.
- The hoops are now 3-piece (vice 1-piece) to give some adjustment play when the top invariably shrinks a little over the years.
- The side panels will now be zip on/off vice the old tops that only could be rolled up.
- They come standard with tinted vinyl windows with Strata vinyl, but you can order or add on later side panels with screens.
- They are adding a reinforcement kit for their load bars. They hold 75# stock and the kit will allow IIRC 150# per bar with the kit. So with 4 bars and the upgrade kits, you could hold an RTT on there, for a total of 600#. The rep said they will not be cheap by any means.
- They will add some type of side mount, but the rep didnt elaborate and I didn’t follow up.

BLUF, they aint gonna be cheap, but it sounds like they want to keep the reputation of Can-Back intact and have put some thought into the tops and they took all the lessons learned form the old tops and incorporated improvements in the new tops, that with the increased cost of materials has made it a tad spendy.

It will come in Black and Linen (a light khaki) as their stock offerings, but you can get a custom color for an extra cost as long as Sunbrella makes the color in Seamark.

They are currently only taking names and contact info right now, and are looking to start production in late October. Bryon said that they will call for confirmation, color and options a week before the tops go into production and will require no money or deposits until they make it of R&D and go into full production.

I am cautiously optimistic and am glad at least they the tops are moving forward.

That is all;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom