Greenlee bandsaw Model #530 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
I have an older model 530 bandsaw and was curious if anyone in the trade who might have one similar. I wasn't able to find any rebuild instructions on this item, not that it really needs it but was merely curious.

I checked both brushes and they're still long but was thinking if I should lightly rub clean the commutator? It's probably 20+ years old and still running like a champ but the gearbox doesn't seem as quiet as it probably once was. I didn't see any grease in the gearbox except brass shavings. I assume the brass is made to be sacrificial and simply replace that gear once it's too worn. I tried to blow/vac the brass shavings out of the gearbox compartment.

I did find the brass shaving sort of stuck on the inside of the gearbox inspection hole cover. There seems to be a sticky residue on the inside of this cover, making me think maybe there was a lubricant in there at once upon a time.

If anyone has any PM info on this portable bandsaw, please speak up! I love this thing and the quality is bar none. They don't make these like they used to I'm guessing.

Thanks.

20170219_065410.jpg
20170219_065418.jpg
20170219_065426.jpg
20170219_065551.jpg

don't know that particular saw, but it seems to me unlikely there was no lubrication intended. Hard to tell from the pic but the brass gear seems severely worn, as is of course suggested by the great amount of shavings. I don't see any major drawback to putting grease on that to help a bit although it seems too late. Can you tell from the housing -is it sealed- whether there may have been oil or grease in originally? (My saw has a gear box filled partly with gear oil.)

have you called greenlee? they prolly have what you need.

have you called greenlee? they prolly have what you need.

Yeah, I called them up today and my saw was built in 1984 and is suppose to have oil in the gearbox. s***, it's bone dry :bang: The tech support lady emailed me the manual but it doesn't specify the type of oil. She also said that parts for this saw is no longer available.:bang:

However, a quick search on Ebay produced this: BRONZE TRANSMISSION DRIVE GEAR FOR 4-1/2 X 6" METAL CUTTING BAND SAW | eBay

Looks like a gear oil that's brass friendly, which is GL4 ought to work for this application.
So, there might be hope!

Last edited:
well, if they mean a Taiwan style 4x6 they probably don't mean a portable saw but pull out your calipers and check the dimensions of yours. Any real machinist should be able to make a gear like that but it won't cost $45.

well, if they mean a Taiwan style 4x6 they probably don't mean a portable saw but pull out your calipers and check the dimensions of yours. Any real machinist should be able to make a gear like that but it won't cost $45.

I'll probably get a set of worm + worm gear from Boston gear when the time comes. I won't put any China/Taiwan parts in that machine. Any real machinist can make one for me but at a huge setup cost for a one off run, not worth it to me.

The oil leaked out, happens to a lot of those type saws. I just filled mine with grease. It lived for years until the motor buried out. Low speed gear boxes are fine with grease in them.

Last edited:
I have removed commutator from other mtors. Chuck it up in my drill press then apply fine sandpaper as it spins.

The oil leaked out, happens to a lot of those type saws. I just filled mine with grease. It lived for years until the motor buried out. Low speed gear boxes are fine with grease in them.

That's a damn fine idea. What type of grease? I got a s*** ton of moly grease so it's very sticky and ought to work for this application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom