Greasing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DKW

Threads
Researched on here greasing joints and CV. There is a lot of different info, so i ended up deciding on valvoline palladium for all greasing. What is not clear is do i need to fill the CV completely? The FSM says fill, but I read on here that it shouldn't be filled completely. This is a 96.

This is just preventative maintenance, but i already squirted a lot in there and it is still not brimming. Hard to know how much is in there, even with a make shift dipstick.

I am interested what others do on the CV's

Thanks

I do 200 pumps (each side) from my grease gun twice a year. I know that isn't particularly scientific so I added a note to count how many pumps per tube of grease. I suspect I get about 300 pumps per tube but will know for sure in a few weeks. For what it is worth, I just use Supertech lithium based grease from wally world.

I’ve been using Palladium to grease everything for quite some time and Stalube black moly grease for a decade and a half before that. Your choice of grease is good.

Stick with your plan of replacing upper and lower rear links. The longer lowers are there to push the axle back to where it was pre lift and the adjustable uppers will be used for fine tuning pinion angle.

Thanks for the replies, some good info!

Assembling axle from scratch today and came here to research greasing, so. My first side currently has the better part of two tubes (14oz each) in it now. See Pics. I thoroughly packed the birfield prior to installing the axle. As DKW mentioned, it just seems to keep taking grease. With a flexible grease line snipped of all metal end fittings, I can snake in behind the static knuckle ball. I had no set pattern I just kept moving around behind/between/around the knuckle halves and birfield. So, when do I stop? This is my first axle so I don't have a frame of reference other than the FSM (fill to 3/4) and my gut (is there such a thing as too much grease?). Another set of eyes would be useful.
Thanks, S.
IMG_5566.JPG
IMG_5567.JPG

Assembling axle from scratch today and came here to research greasing, so. My first side currently has the better part of two tubes (14oz each) in it now. See Pics. I thoroughly packed the birfield prior to installing the axle. As DKW mentioned, it just seems to keep taking grease. With a flexible grease line snipped of all metal end fittings, I can snake in behind the static knuckle ball. I had no set pattern I just kept moving around behind/between/around the knuckle halves and birfield. So, when do I stop? This is my first axle so I don't have a frame of reference other than the FSM (fill to 3/4) and my gut (is there such a thing as too much grease?). Another set of eyes would be useful.
Thanks, S.
View attachment 2213854View attachment 2213855
Keep packing it in until 3/4 full. Any amount she doesn’t want will forced out onto the knuckle ball on down the road. I don’t believe we could actually over pack it by hand as you are doing right now.

youll need about 1 1/2 tubes of grease to fill the knuckle. fill, drive and check after a few trips around the block to see if more is needed

I’ll keep going until 3/4 full. I’m guessing 28oz. or more, but I’ll get a more accurate number on the second knuckle. Thanks all.

I was told two tubes for each side. Always did it that way and have never had a problem.

Did you pack the inside of the birf itself? Between the birf and the open part of the knuckle, you should use about 2 full tubes per side.

Also, don;t frget to lube the outer shaft of the birf and lube the inner part of the spindle (the "spindle bushing") before final assembly.

Yes, birf pre-packed before axle install. My spindle is the needle bearing design, so that will get Lucas red.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom