Got attacked by a dog today!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You should have just shot the bastard, and told the dude that it was running deer instead of coyote.

You did the right thing, but I'd be sorely tempted to shoot any dog that attacked me in any circumstances.

Considering that lunyou was invited onto the property, and that the owner mentioned previously that the dog was known to be aggressive, I'd say that the dog's owner had a responsibility to supervise or secure the animal, and ensure that nobody was bitten, and if he did not, and someone shot the dog in defense of their life or to prevent grave bodily injury, too fxxxing bad. And if someone did get bit, and they called the police or their lawyer, again, too bad. They should have kept the dog under control.

The owner would be in a world of hurt if that dog bit a postal employee or police officer that was on the property legally in the discharge of their duties. Or, a kid who wandered onto the property. Most states do have an attractive nuisance doctrine, I believe.

To me, this is prime example of someone who is too stupid and irresponsible to own a dog.

Considering that lunyou was invited onto the property, and that the owner mentioned previously that the dog was known to be aggressive, I'd say that the dog's owner had a responsibility to supervise or secure the animal, and ensure that nobody was bitten, and if he did not, and someone shot the dog in defense of their life or to prevent grave bodily injury, too fxxxing bad. And if someone did get bit, and they called the police or their lawyer, again, too bad. They should have kept the dog under control.

The owner would be in a world of hurt if that dog bit a postal employee or police officer that was on the property legally in the discharge of their duties. Or, a kid who wandered onto the property. Most states do have an attractive nuisance doctrine, I believe.

To me, this is prime example of someone who is too stupid and irresponsible to own a dog.

I'm not sure a dog qualifies as an attractive nuisance.

I agree that the dog should have been carefully monitored. But lunyou was warned about the dog, and he didn't call ahead. And he was told that the dog was protective, and instead of thinking "oh crap I forgot about Cujo," he tried to pet the dog. I mean, he's a certified dumbass. And he would have been justified in shooting the dog, in the sense that he was being attacked and nobody has to sit there and be eaten just because they are stupid.

So, I'm glad he could prevent shooting the dog, but I'm not so sure I would have (then again, I am sure I wouldn't have been in that situation).

One should not blur the lines between cause of a problem and handling a problem once it has been irreversibly caused, so to speak.

That seems like a bit of reading things into it to me.

For example, if it was a fenced rural property, I don't see anything illegal and/or "wrong" with either the owner's or the dog's behavior.

Lunyou, when you say "I let him smell me" was it your palm, fingers or the back of your hand?

Most dogs go for the crotch.

I'm not sure a dog qualifies as an attractive nuisance.

You'd know better than I... But I do recall reading of a kid that was killed because he saw a horse in a pasture, thought it would be cool to pet it, trespassed onto the property, and wound up spooking the animal and getting trampled to death. I believe the defendants lost that case. I seem to recall that in a business law class I took, so "attractive nuisance" immediately popped to my mind when I thought "what would happen if it were a kid..."

I agree that the dog should have been carefully monitored. But lunyou was warned about the dog, and he didn't call ahead. And he was told that the dog was protective, and instead of thinking "oh crap I forgot about Cujo," he tried to pet the dog. I mean, he's a certified dumbass.

Agreed. Lunyou is a dumbass, and he was negligent. However, I don't think his negligence alone contributed to what happened. The dog should have been in the house, in a fenced pen, or someplace else where passers-by or people who have legitimate business entering the property (invited, or simply allowed to be there in discharge of duties) will not get hurt. From a liability standpoint alone, leaving such a dog unattended outside and not contained is, I think, a very stupid thing. What if Lunyou was a postal employee, and had to deliver a certified letter to the house to get a signature? It's different I know, cause Postman Lunyou may not have been aware of the dog's proclivity to aggression. Barring that, I don't think anyone would fault Postman Lunyou for pepper-spraying the ever loving fxxx out of the dog...

Now, the degree to which Lunyou's stupidity contributed and the degree to which the dog owner's stupidity contributed to the incident is up for debate, no doubt. But I find it hard to fault Lunyou alone in this matter. Lunyou's prior knowledge is the mitigating factor for sure, but not one that relieves the dog's owner of his responsibility, in my opinion .

I've owned rather large dogs that have a "history" because of abuse and whatnot. And these types of things were always at the front of my mind when handling that dog. That is why that dog was never outside unattended, and was taken in public very seldom, and only in very carefully controlled situations.

And he would have been justified in shooting the dog, in the sense that he was being attacked and nobody has to sit there and be eaten just because they are stupid.

So, I'm glad he could prevent shooting the dog, but I'm not so sure I would have (then again, I am sure I wouldn't have been in that situation).

One should not blur the lines between cause of a problem and handling a problem once it has been irreversibly caused, so to speak.

I think he handled it as well as could be expected... once you get past the fact that his negligence and absent-mindedness contributed to it happening as much, if not more, than the other party's negligence.

I guess my whole point is, as someone who owned a dog that might have been considered a liability in some ways, that you should never underestimate the stupidity of the other guy.

But I find it hard to fault Lunyou alone in this matter...

You are assuming two quite unlikely things:
-that lunyou is telling the truth
-that lunyou has the mental capacity to accurately remember what happened a few hours ago

:D

Glad to hear that you are okay.

I would have
1. kicked the dog
2. reached for my knife and slit the dog's throat, or
3. reach for my gun and shot it.
4. skin, clean, cook, and eaten the SOB.

Dogs can smell fear coming a mile away.

Dogs can smell fear coming a mile away.

I think it was a mix, a mistaken aggressive move by lunyou and his snap/ instinct to being defensive and retreating.

If you extend your hand to a dog with anything other than the back of your hand it will be considered by the dog, as aggressive. It will be interpreted as "If I smell your hand that way, you can and will grab me, I'm not moving in closer so you can grab me, if you want me then I'm gonna make you work for it"

Every dog I have ever had charge me, I have stood my ground and took a deep breath. Those little hairs on your back standing up coincide with the release of adrenalin (not sure about dogs but the stuff bee's smell on you and track you down with) The "smell of fear" to an animal is the adrenalin coming from the pores of your skin. For those that do not use this it is the small expressions you give off. Don't smile at a dog and expose your teeth....Thats one. That will be interpreted as gritting your teeth and snarling...aggression.

My guess is, it wasn't the back of his hand and the dog snapping into defense mode was a test, and once he pulled back it was on.:D

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that when lunyou came pulling down the street, pumping the wicked riffs of Slash on his Sanyo tape deck, the dog went completely batshiz insane, thereby implicating lunyou as the root cause of said attack.

I'm pretty sure that when lunyou came pulling down the street, pumping the wicked riffs of Slash on his Sanyo tape deck, the dog went completely batshiz insane, thereby implicating lunyou as the root cause of said attack.

It was Axle's awful rendition of "Knocking on Heaven's Door" that sent the dog over the edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom