Goose Gear 80 Series Engine Replacement (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for sharing all the details for a 100% NEW engine.
With a short block running close to $4K what is the estimated additional cost for a new top end?
Your welcome. The new head is about $1600. I sure appreciate all the other posters that journey their builds on this forum. It has helped me tremendously. I just thought I would catalogue what I'm doing so if others would like to do it in the future this could be a reference point for them.

Are you transferring all of the cylinder head internals from the old head to the new head and then a machine job? Or are you getting all new cylinder head internal parts?

Are you transferring all of the cylinder head internals from the old head to the new head and then a machine job? Or are you getting all new cylinder head internal parts?
This is all new to me, so I am not completely versed on this. Truthfully, I didn't even know I needed to do this. I'm not afraid to confess my ignorance. This is what I love about Mud. It educates me about all that I don't know (which is a lot!) In all likelihood I will transfer the internals to the new head just because I am out of money. If you convince me I might change my mind. Like most here, I have the utmost respect for the knowledge you bring to this community.

Well, if you are out of money, that pretty much answers the question.

Onward!

My head shop won’t transfer valves. He will transfer the rest.

Cheers

Well I will learn soon enough if I've reached the end of this rabbit hole.

Exhaust valves in these engines are prone to being burnt is why. He doesn’t want to warranty his work with used exhaust valves on 1FZFE’s.

Cheers

I know it's probably a bit late for this, but there's an engine builder in Chatsworth that would have sold you a complete rebuilt fresh long block for $4000...
Not the same!!

You're right, one costs $4000 while the other costs twice that AND you have to assemble it yourself
I believe that Broski was speaking to the fact that you're discussing a rebuild and I am putting in a new engine. You are right about the cost. However, I wanted to do a new engine because I'm betting that this will add more value to my Cruiser in the long term than the savings of getting a rebuilt FZFE long-block.

Last edited:
Exhaust valves in these engines are prone to being burnt is why. He doesn’t want to warranty his work with used exhaust valves on 1FZFE’s.

Cheers
Let me ask you, If I need to replace the valves do I need to replace the valves themselves or the complete assembly? See attached.

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 2.40.26 PM.png

Let me ask you, If I need to replace the valves do I need to replace the valves themselves or the complete assembly? See attached.

View attachment 2725627
I mean, I GUESS you could re-use springs, retainers etc. but most engine builders I know would rather cut their hand off than install those used components on a brand new head with new valves.

Exactly my point. You can get the same engine, with all the same engineering behind it, for much less.
I believe the point Ajax is making is that the place in Chatsworth that is offering a rebuilt long-block for $4k is NOT using OEM Toyota parts in the rebuild to come in at that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom