Goodby LX-570 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just thought I would throw this note out here:

I will no longer be on the 200 forum, as I traded my 2010 LX and went back to driving my 100 and 80. As many of you might remember, I was having a bunch of issues with the LX with intermittent electronics problems that I could never get fixed:
  1. Center Diff Lock Flashing
  2. Audio sporatically coming on / off / changing modes/sources
  3. Passenger side AC system screaming at me
We traded the LX along with my wife's 2010 ES in for her a new 2017 RX-350. Since the local Lexus dealership is the ONLY Lexus dealership in Idaho, we traded the LX back in where we purchased it... and found out during this transaction that the LX had originally been in an accident. No, this had no come up when we originally purchased the truck as a "Certified Lexus" used vehicle back in 2015. Needless to say, I was NOT happy and made it known that I would NEVER purchase another used vehicle from them... so back to Toyota, where I can work with other dealers on any future purchases.

I probably will not purchase another 200, but I may purchase the next gen. We will see.

Good luck to you all and see you in the 100 and 80 forums.

Jonathan Jackson

take care man

Right on man. You'll like that RX it looks sharp.
I'm sure there are others, myself included, that won't get another 200 the next go around either.

We went for the standard version, as it is plenty large enough for two adults. I was actually very suprised at how big it looks sitting next to my 80 series! My wife wanted the hibrid, but due to availability, or lack thereof, we ended up with the standard petrol version. It's not as quick off the line as the ES was, but I am thinking that my wife will appreciate the all-wheel drive when (read IF) we get snow here in Boise.

I'm now getting ready to sink a bunch of $$$ into the 80 and since it is triple locked, it should be quite fun to have back on the road (read off-road) again!

Right on man. You'll like that RX it looks sharp.
I'm sure there are others, myself included, that won't get another 200 the next go around either.

Care to elaborate on this? Right now I'm looking to get a 200. Currently driving a 2015 Sierra Denali and was looking for something a little more adventure worthy (got married and sold adventure bike). Looked at the Tacoma (didn't like) and the 4Runner (liked a lot about it, but not many creature comforts and wife didn't like it). Figured the 200 would be the perfect fit.

Care to elaborate on this? Right now I'm looking to get a 200. Currently driving a 2015 Sierra Denali and was looking for something a little more adventure worthy (got married and sold adventure bike). Looked at the Tacoma (didn't like) and the 4Runner (liked a lot about it, but not many creature comforts and wife didn't like it). Figured the 200 would be the perfect fit.
Get the 200. Do your home work and you should score a nice rig. My wife took one drive and said “ You did good”. She enjoys road trips a lot more than the 1996 4 Runner.

Get the 200. Do your home work and you should score a nice rig. My wife took one drive and said “ You did good”. She enjoys road trips a lot more than the 1996 4 Runner.
Awesome, thanks brother! Right now I'm thinking a '16 w/ 30,000ish miles. Did you powdercoat the stock wheels? That's what I was thinking after pricing the TRD Pro Tundra wheels. After seeing this rig in my searches, I think it's the right move. BTW, sorry to highjack your thread, OP.
maxresdefault.jpg

Awesome, thanks brother! Right now I'm thinking a '16 w/ 30,000ish miles. Did you powdercoat the stock wheels? That's what I was thinking after pricing the TRD Pro Tundra wheels. After seeing this rig in my searches, I think it's the right move. BTW, sorry to highjack your thread, OP.
maxresdefault.jpg
I saw Mr. Gray this summer and had not seen any 2016+ wheels PC’d yet. Mr. Gray inspired me to do the same.

I don't go off road very often. When I do I'm flying to the destination and renting. Which is a shame. The 200 is such a capable vehicle and I'm not using it for it's intended purpose. I bought it because of the idea that it could get me out of a sticky spot if I was to get into one. I'm an architect by trade and I really appreciate the engineering and promise of longevity with the LC. I had a heep previously and I was sick and tired of visiting dealerships for repairs. I've had german cars before that so I really should have been used to it... So I picked the one vehicle that in theory should reduce trips to the dealer and would never leave me stranded. The LC completely lives up to that. But.... the gas mileage is starting to wear on me. It's not the cost - it's the trips to the pump and the fuel range. It's only a 24 gal tank. And it's large for my needs. I don't have a family and really have no business with a 3 row SUV. A two row GX would be the right size - but it's slow by comparison. Last is the tech. Toyota tech and infotainment is the most behind in the business. They do funny things like remote start shuts off when you unlock the car and you have to restart it. They disable the key fob when the car is running. This means you can't leave it running and lock the car in winter to run into the convenience store. The GMC doesn't have any issues like that. And other oddities like no power lift gate on a 80k vehicle? Now they have it - but again, it takes Toyota an excruciatingly long time to roll out new features compared to the rest. As you can tell I have a love hate relationship with it. Although I've had this one going almost two years and that's the longest I've ever had a vehicle. Who knows I might just keep it and piss and moan about it the entire time. (lol) But when it comes time to replace it I doubt I would get another. Maybe the 300 but not another 200 - there just isn't enough that has changed to make me jump - and there's enough pebbles in my shoe with the current one.

Based on your needs the 200 would be good - especially if you're going to take it off road. But for the price of a new one... one could get an inexpensive adventure vehicle and something else for a daily driver too. It's hard to find one vehicle that excels at adventure but is easy to live with on a daily basis. Keep in mind folks on here are bias and will tell you it's great as a daily driver. But the sales numbers are low for a reason. I'm bias too just in a different way. It's a good vehicle with great heritage and exceptional off-road capability - but it's not without it's shortcomings.

Last edited:
They disable the key fob when the car is running. This means you can't leave it running and lock the car in winter to run into the convenience store.

I completely agree that the remote start is useless. Luckily it's not that big of a deal to me.

You can actually lock and unlock while the engine is running with the manual key. I keep mine separate on the keyring for quick access.

Also:

upload_2017-12-13_10-29-36.jpeg

upload_2017-12-13_10-29-52.jpeg

I guess it depends on if the other driver has insurance! TonyP used the insurance money to upgrade to a heavy duty rear bumper. (Always be on the lookout for 1st gen CR-Vs).

@TonyP , when the CR-V hit you, was there any repair money for the hitch?

The crossmember/hitch was included in the estimate but it was fine.

... and found out during this transaction that the LX had originally been in an accident. No, this had no come up when we originally purchased the truck as a "Certified Lexus" used vehicle back in 2015.

I had this same thing happen with my :princess: previous Audi A4. It was sold as a clean CPO with extended factory warranty. Later discovered accident damage that was not reported, and supposedly not found or disclosed by the dealer. Many conversations with the owner of the dealership and Audi USA yielded repairs, but nothing else. Their response was it's still a CPO, it's no wonder dealerships of all makes have such a lousy reputation.

FWIW my 200, which was a very low mile 09 when purchased (32k miles), and fully documented service history, has still had it's fair share of repairs. You've been around long enough to know the common issues, and mine has had a few more than those.

At least your still driving an LC :cheers:

I don't go off road very often. When I do I'm flying to the destination and renting. Which is a shame. The 200 is such a capable vehicle and I'm not using it for it's intended purpose. I bought it because of the idea that it could get me out of a sticky spot if I was to get into one. I'm an architect by trade and I really appreciate the engineering and promise of longevity with the LC. I had a heep previously and I was sick and tired of visiting dealerships for repairs. I've had german cars before that so I really should have been used to it... So I picked the one vehicle that in theory should reduce trips to the dealer and would never leave me stranded. The LC completely lives up to that. But.... the gas mileage is starting to wear on me. It's not the cost - it's the trips to the pump and the fuel range. It's only a 24 gal tank. And it's large for my needs. I don't have a family and really have no business with a 3 row SUV. A two row GX would be the right size - but it's slow by comparison. Last is the tech. Toyota tech and infotainment is the most behind in the business. They do funny things like remote start shuts off when you unlock the car and you have to restart it. They disable the key fob when the car is running. This means you can't leave it running and lock the car in winter to run into the convenience store. The GMC doesn't have any issues like that. And other oddities like no power lift gate on a 80k vehicle? Now they have it - but again, it takes Toyota an excruciatingly long time to roll out new features compared to the rest. As you can tell I have a love hate relationship with it. Although I've had this one going almost two years and that's the longest I've ever had a vehicle. Who knows I might just keep it and piss and moan about it the entire time. (lol) But when it comes time to replace it I doubt I would get another. Maybe the 300 but not another 200 - there just isn't enough that has changed to make me jump - and there's enough pebbles in my shoe with the current one.

Based on your needs the 200 would be good - especially if you're going to take it off road. But for the price of a new one... one could get an inexpensive adventure vehicle and something else for a daily driver too. It's hard to find one vehicle that excels at adventure but is easy to live with on a daily basis. Keep in mind folks on here are bias and will tell you it's great as a daily driver. But the sales numbers are low for a reason. I'm bias too just in a different way. It's a good vehicle with great heritage and exceptional off-road capability - but it's not without it's shortcomings.

Those are valid complaints. I know sometimes we buy a vehicle thinking "I can live with that", only to later realize it's a huge PITA to deal with certain issues on a daily basis.

Mine's been in the body shop for two months, so I've had time to really think about the truck and find out if I would miss it, without selling it.

Turns out, I do miss it!

Gunna give it a big ol' hug when I see it.

Those are valid complaints. I know sometimes we buy a vehicle thinking "I can live with that", only to later realize it's a huge PITA to deal with certain issues on a daily basis.

Mine's been in the body shop for two months, so I've had time to really think about the truck and find out if I would miss it, without selling it.

Turns out, I do miss it!

Gunna give it a big ol' hug when I see it.

Hold on, weren't you also considering selling recently? I tell ya "petrol heads" cannot sit still when it comes to cars. The issue as I see it with the LC is it's a long term vehicle, it's just in the DNA.

I have not been able to perfect the dance yet to keep the LC locked while running. When I put it in park all the doors unlock. Which is probably a setting... Then when I open the door and press the lock button they lock and unlock immediately. The system fights me on trying to lock it. That scenario leaves me with 4 unlocked doors...

Thinking about it I bet I have to put it in park, don't open the door yet, press the lock button to re-lock the doors, then open the door, close it, and then use the manual key to lock it. Then when I get back use the manual key to unlock it.

But when it's cold and I'm freezing my arse off I just wish the remote would work. :)

I completely agree that the remote start is useless. Luckily it's not that big of a deal to me.

You can actually lock and unlock while the engine is running with the manual key. I keep mine separate on the keyring for quick access.

Also:

View attachment 1590760

View attachment 1590761

063B1E57-DC2C-4F01-82A5-D0F3E07F23D9.jpeg
My 200 sits 5 days a week, m-f and is used all weekend. I work in a harsh environment and beat the crap out of my 1999 LX470 during the week.

When my kids start driving the LX will move to them and the 200 will go into a daily use.

It is painful driving the 200 to work and finding 1/2” of dirt on it every day...

The old 100, mmm do not really care.

The 100 just turned 120k so she has lots of life left in her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom