Goodby LX-570 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't go off road very often. When I do I'm flying to the destination and renting. Which is a shame. The 200 is such a capable vehicle and I'm not using it for it's intended purpose. I bought it because of the idea that it could get me out of a sticky spot if I was to get into one. I'm an architect by trade and I really appreciate the engineering and promise of longevity with the LC. I had a heep previously and I was sick and tired of visiting dealerships for repairs. I've had german cars before that so I really should have been used to it... So I picked the one vehicle that in theory should reduce trips to the dealer and would never leave me stranded. The LC completely lives up to that. But.... the gas mileage is starting to wear on me. It's not the cost - it's the trips to the pump and the fuel range. It's only a 24 gal tank. And it's large for my needs. I don't have a family and really have no business with a 3 row SUV. A two row GX would be the right size - but it's slow by comparison. Last is the tech. Toyota tech and infotainment is the most behind in the business. They do funny things like remote start shuts off when you unlock the car and you have to restart it. They disable the key fob when the car is running. This means you can't leave it running and lock the car in winter to run into the convenience store. The GMC doesn't have any issues like that. And other oddities like no power lift gate on a 80k vehicle? Now they have it - but again, it takes Toyota an excruciatingly long time to roll out new features compared to the rest. As you can tell I have a love hate relationship with it. Although I've had this one going almost two years and that's the longest I've ever had a vehicle. Who knows I might just keep it and piss and moan about it the entire time. (lol) But when it comes time to replace it I doubt I would get another. Maybe the 300 but not another 200 - there just isn't enough that has changed to make me jump - and there's enough pebbles in my shoe with the current one.

Based on your needs the 200 would be good - especially if you're going to take it off road. But for the price of a new one... one could get an inexpensive adventure vehicle and something else for a daily driver too. It's hard to find one vehicle that excels at adventure but is easy to live with on a daily basis. Keep in mind folks on here are bias and will tell you it's great as a daily driver. But the sales numbers are low for a reason. I'm bias too just in a different way. It's a good vehicle with great heritage and exceptional off-road capability - but it's not without it's shortcomings.
Thanks, I appreciate the response. In looking, I have noticed a lot of the things you mentioned. I was pretty excited when I started thinking about the Armada as well, because it seems like they are ahead on the technology (price as well). I just didn't realize the Armada isn't the Patrol. It's really no more off road worthy than my damn Sierra Denali, plus it's pretty big. The 200 is really about as big as I would want. There just doesn't seem to be anything else here in the states that really fits the bill as a good off-road/overland vehicle and a daily driver with all the creature comforts. Really wish they sold the Prado here in the states.

Thanks, I appreciate the response. In looking, I have noticed a lot of the things you mentioned. I was pretty excited when I started thinking about the Armada as well, because it seems like they are ahead on the technology (price as well). I just didn't realize the Armada isn't the Patrol. It's really no more off road worthy than my damn Sierra Denali, plus it's pretty big. The 200 is really about as big as I would want. There just doesn't seem to be anything else here in the states that really fits the bill as a good off-road/overland vehicle and a daily driver with all the creature comforts. Really wish they sold the Prado here in the states.
You could always buy a GX and then upgrade the suspension with king shocks bigger tires lift armor etc.

What is the difference between a GX and a Prado?

I think the Armada is the same as the Patrol, can someone correct me if wrong, and you are correct, the GX is the same as the Prado. The 4Runner, Prado, and the US GX460 are all 150 series trucks.

Wife has a 2015 4Runner, she really likes it. Me, not so much.

The GX460 drives much better with all wheel drive and the V8.

Wife picked the 4Runner because she wanted to maintain a low key, the Lexus she said was to flashy.

I think the Armada is the same as the Patrol, can someone correct me if wrong, and you are correct, the GX is the same as the Prado. The 4Runner, Prado, and the US GX460 are all 150 series trucks.

Wife picked the 4Runner because she wanted to maintain a low key, the Lexus she said was to flashy.

We test drove a GX. My wife really thought she wanted to upgrade from our limited 4R. We were both very underwhelmed with the 4.6 V8, probable due to the extra weight of the GX. Interior was pretty similar too. After we test drove the GX I looked up the 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile times and they were pretty similar between the 4R and GX. My wife decided to wait for the next iteration of 4R and GX.

Apparently the Armada is basically a neutered version of the Patrol. Same platform minus all the off road goodies.
I thought the new updated Prado might be a little different than the GX460, but maybe not. We drove the GX when my wife was looking, but didn't love it. The more I look, the more I think the 200 will be the one. Just a few things I'm not crazy about, which honestly has been the case anytime

We drove the GX when my wife was looking, but didn't love it.

"Proof-positive that a big price tag and a fancy badge do not equal a good car. The Lexus GX 460 Luxury costs $72,000 and I can't think of a single rational reason why someone would buy one. The cargo door opens the wrong way, it has a Chevy Tahoe-challenging sky-high liftover and absolutely pathetic space behind the raised third row, which barely has any room and is incredibly difficult to reach. The GX 460 just isn't practical enough as a three-row SUV, and its low Lexus bodywork hampers what should be 4Runner-challenging off-road capabilities. Its ground clearance and approach angle are bested by a Volvo XC90. It's also slow, inefficient and handles like an arthritic elephant. Subjectively, it's also exceedingly hideous, making even an emotional buying decision perplexing. I do not get it."

Worst Cars We Drove In 2017

chance.png

What is the difference between a GX and a Prado?

As @Markuson pointed out, the Lexus GX, Toyota 4Runner, and Toyota Land Cruiser Prado are all based on the same 150-series chassis. If you check the specs you'll see the all have an identical 109.8" wheelbase too.

As far as differences go, the GX is a gussied up Prado. Same basic body (unlike the 4Runner at least) but with lots of Lexus tech whereas you can get a Prado outside the US stripped down. I don't know offhand if the 4.6L V8 is available in the 4Runner or Prado outside the US.

I have driven other Lexus sport utes and they were very underpowered in my opinion.

Are prados as durable and rock solid as the LC? Overseas people talk about them like they are as good as a Cruiser.

I have driven other Lexus sport utes and they were very underpowered in my opinion.

Are prados as durable and rock solid as the LC? Overseas people talk about them like they are as good as a Cruiser.

"Proof-positive that a big price tag and a fancy badge do not equal a good car. The Lexus GX 460 Luxury costs $72,000 and I can't think of a single rational reason why someone would buy one. The cargo door opens the wrong way, it has a Chevy Tahoe-challenging sky-high liftover and absolutely pathetic space behind the raised third row, which barely has any room and is incredibly difficult to reach. The GX 460 just isn't practical enough as a three-row SUV, and its low Lexus bodywork hampers what should be 4Runner-challenging off-road capabilities. Its ground clearance and approach angle are bested by a Volvo XC90. It's also slow, inefficient and handles like an arthritic elephant. Subjectively, it's also exceedingly hideous, making even an emotional buying decision perplexing. I do not get it."

Worst Cars We Drove In 2017

I liked their looks before they put the snow plow gr

. I don't know offhand if the 4.6L V8 is available in the 4Runner or Prado outside the US.
I know in Australia and Europe the Prado comes with the 2.8L Diesel only

In Dubai, you can get the Prado with the 2.7L 4 cylinder or the 4.0 V6 (both petrol)

The Prado is a Land Cruiser. In central america at least they say "Land Cruiser" on the back. I drove a diesel Prado in Costa Rica a couple years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom