Builds Good Ole Rusty (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am liking what he did.

rusty%20rack_zpsks9zjwmi.jpg
I just noticed the wing. That is a neat little sculpture Eric made of a pig with wings, the body is one of those helium tanks you get to fill party balloons.

I cannot find the thread about using LED lights with the FJ40, anybody know where it is?
Specifically the lights work except the blinker function. Yes I did check the blinker fluid.

I'm not sure what thread you are thinking of. Do you have a "no-load flasher" relay? I used one like this - Amazon.com: Keep It Clean 10853 Flasher No Load Fixed Flasher: Automotive. You just have to run 2 jumper wires to make it work. You can get them from most part stores. Coolerman also makes a converter to hook up a LED flasher unit so you don't need to run the jumper wires- Cruiser Wiring.

:cheers:
Thanks!!!
I think that does it. There was a thread a few years back that talked about this. I just couldn't find it. I knew the LEDS probably didn't draw enough current to heat the OEM relay but didn't remember the no load relay solution.

Turns out there was no order, stupid interwebs. Paved the order by phone, again, last night.

This is where the blinker fluid lives
20160522_154905_zpszv0mstba.jpg

Turns out incandescent blinker fluid will not work with LED lights.
You need new blinker fluid
20160530_093319_zpsqkxxbcrc.jpg

This is what the old blinker fluid looks like

20160522_155259_zpsrdwlefrj.jpg

Observe
20160530_093327_zps9oopgvcl.jpg

Old blinker fluid removed
New blinker fluid installed
20160530_095526_zpssej48aqg.jpg

No one would ever know the blinker fluid was changed.
20160530_095643_zpsrpogfkza.jpg

Got some new blinkers to go with the new fluid
20160530_084736_zpstflowa5y.jpg

Works great.

In other news, a while back I bought a ruffstuff rear differential cover. I ran into the "While your in there " eddy. My rear ARB locker O-ring is leaking. I hate screwing with the rear drum brakes. While I have the diff fluid out I may as well fix the ARB, since I have to pull the axles I may as well up grade to rear disk. This put the whole project on hold because I don't have time to take on that much work at one time.
So I said screw it and installed the diff cover.
20160530_123004_zpsecqcuboh.jpg

Turns out the only place to get a 9/16" hex bit in stock on Memorial Day is Harbor Freight.

9/16" union nut (I think a 7/16 thread size) also works in a pinch.

Lol

Holly hell thats a lot of oil. When im in a pinch for the right allan key, sometimes I just file a piece of round stock into a hexagon.

It's not so bad, I use the Walmart brand oil. Between modifications, and breakage it seems like the oil is never in there more than 5K miles so no need for expensive oil. If nothing goes wrong I still change the oil at the end of summer because of all the water crossings we do during the season.

First time going DOWN Cadillac hill this weekend. That was interesting. I notice coming back out that I need to pay more attention to my lines with the tire carrier, not that I hit but the extra weight or the carrier behind the rear axle makes the front end lighter.

I also need to move springs up the list of purchases. My home brewed hybrid springs are plain old worn out the extra weight behind the axle only makes the situation worse.

I always found going down Cadillac was cake. Your rear end gets light on you now?

I always found going down Cadillac was cake. Your rear end gets light on you now?
The way I wrote that was confusing.
Going down Cadillac was interesting in that the trail looked totally unfamiliar to me. We just cruised along with no issues.
Going back out the next day I noticed that the front end seems lighter. I had to pay a bit more attention to what line I was taking instead of just point and shoot. The Forest Service road from the observation point out is forking annoying as hell now. To rough to go fast and not rough enough to be interesting. Just mile after mile of bowling ball size rocks and shelf rock. Some big mud holes too my entire truck and half my gear was covered in mud when I got home, the IROKS just fling mud everywhere even if you go slow.

The eye thimble on my winch cable is elongated. The local wire rope place tells me I need to replace the while cable because once the cable had been stretched a new crimp won't meet specification. The cable is rust free and had no kinks or anything. I'm looking fur am alternative to replacement.

Cut a couple ft off and put a new eye on it..

Although, I would really just switch to rope. I hate wire cables on winches. Rope is sooo much nicer.

I have spliced regular rope before
It can't be to much harder to do wire
20160725_191603_zpsw8nzgzin.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom